mega thread What are you thinking?

Tabe

I’m glad this rain is occurring over the weekend where I can be a warm toasty cinnamon roll.

I can’t wait for my new cert book to arrive. Going to be reviewing it for a good while until I’m ready for the examination. 

2 hours ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

Why do television series release an entire season at once instead of releasing each episode, say, on a weekly basis? Is not the latter approach better for the sake of maintaining interest?

At first I didn’t get this either and was accustomed to the old model of advertising and maintaining interest on a weekly basis. They still keep this tried and true method to this day with many shows. 

However, with the dawn of streaming series, came the concept of binge watching and that had people quickly binge watching shows who wanted to be in the loop and did not want to wait for episodes. It reminds me of the similar notion with keeping up with next season’s fashion trend and people wanting to be a part of it. It’s makes as big of an impact initially since people are scrambling to keep up with the trend. I’ve seen its effect at the office several times with all these new shows on Netflix. People would talk and make references throughout a few months on different shows. My coworkers also bought a lot of merchandise, so I can say that the binge watching method works to some extent. 

Can’t stop thinking about this song composed by a 10 year genius.

The song is like a very old musical piece that got lost in many generations. Like homage to a past I never knew of. I actually cried listening to it. As crazy as it may sound, I wish I could have to myself and not share it to world. 

• Brohoof 1

I cannot take seriously those who demand payment for machine learning generated images.

20 hours ago, StarlightNyars said:

At first I didn’t get this either and was accustomed to the old model of advertising and maintaining interest on a weekly basis. They still keep this tried and true method to this day with many shows. 

However, with the dawn of streaming series, came the concept of binge watching and that had people quickly binge watching shows who wanted to be in the loop and did not want to wait for episodes. It reminds me of the similar notion with keeping up with next season’s fashion trend and people wanting to be a part of it. It’s makes as big of an impact initially since people are scrambling to keep up with the trend. I’ve seen its effect at the office several times with all these new shows on Netflix. People would talk and make references throughout a few months on different shows. My coworkers also bought a lot of merchandise, so I can say that the binge watching method works to some extent.

Is this a net-positive? Perhaps releasing an entire season at once generates more interest in one given instance. However, what is absent here are the inter-episode discussions speculating on what will happen next. Also, the time between the release of the last episode of one season and the first episode of the next season is extended with the seasonal release rather than episodic release model: more time for interest to decline, I would think.

49 minutes ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

Is this a net-positive? Perhaps releasing an entire season at once generates more interest in one given instance. However, what is absent here are the inter-episode discussions speculating on what will happen next. Also, the time between the release of the last episode of one season and the first episode of the next season is extended with the seasonal release rather than episodic release model: more time for interest to decline, I would think.

@Luna the Great of all the Russias

Mmmm depends on who you ask and the perspective that you look at it. From the way I see it, the inter-episode discussion became "I wonder what will happen to X character in the next season" and "I want to watch more episodes of this show". Imagine being the average consumer, hearing about a new show in passing anywhere, then being able to watch the whole thing in one sitting and being in the loop with everyone. The fact that you sat down and watched the entire season in one sitting or so has created a new want from you. Now lets say you thought that this new show was great and you wanted to talk about it with other people. You would first tell your friends, family, and then go online about it. Now they have created a want from the audience for another season of something that they never expected. 

Another thing is that with the advent of the social media on the internet, now we have social media and forums where people can talk about the show and keep the buzz going for the company without them doing much of the work. Fan art/animation, music videos, Q&A's with VA's and people who work on the show would be some examples of keeping a show relevant and keeping fans engaged with their content.

One great example of a show that took advantage of this is the show "Stranger Things". That show had a long period of downtime when the pandemic initially occurred and production delays, but their loyal fanbase keep the momentum going and when it came back- it went even more mainstream. I just looked it up and found out that the third season released on July 4th, 2019 and the fourth season released on May 27th, 2022. That's close to three whole years between releases, but social media and online forums kept the series momentum strong. I can't tell you how many times I heard Kate Bush's "Running up that hill" everywhere here in California last year because the latest season played that song.

I would argue that it's allowed companies to continually drop many series randomly on people to keep them engaged in their business and it's working to a good extent.

However, the reason why a company like Netflix has started to fall apart is that they have begun to produce lesser quality shows(since they are churning out content rapidly and other controversial behind the scenes things) and that a majority of their video library took a hit with all these new streaming services in play now. Binge watching was initially a net positive for the consumer, but then companies decided to change that as people took advantage of this.

The reason why I mention all of this now is because streaming services like Disney + started to stream new series, but on a weekly basis.  Similar to the original method of doing things. However, I think this was a counter measure because binge watching allows one to consume a bunch of content and then drop their subscription at the end of the month since everything was readily available initially. After finishing the show you may or may not find anything else interesting on the platform and decide to drop your subscription.  Netflix had the issue with subscriber counts moving up and down every quarter whenever new series dropped, so they started going on a weekly basis with some of their shows. Now with stretching shows out like before, companies can churn out many series while keep their subscriber base and profits up.

Edited by StarlightNyars
clarity

For some time, I have considered making a thread taking requests from users to make sketches for them (likely not properly finished drawings as that would be too time consuming unless a particular request interested me). However, this would be time taken away from working on other drawings. If I were to do this, I may initially only have a limited number of requests open to experiment, after which I can decide whether to keep requests open or close requests.

@StarlightNyars

I am rather uninformed as I have not personally taken much part in the streaming-based consumption of media, and the way in which a fandom centered around a series of that type is like as opposed to one centered around a series that is episodic. I wonder what the results would be if one could observe two parallel universes where, all else being equal, one used an episodic release schedule (whether it be weekly or perhaps spaced out in such a way that seasonal hiatuses are equivalent to episodic hiatuses) and the other a seasonal release schedule?

9 minutes ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

For some time, I have considered making a thread taking requests from users to make sketches for them (likely not properly finished drawings as that would be too time consuming unless a particular request interested me). However, this would be time taken away from working on other drawings. If I were to do this, I may initially only have a limited number of requests open to experiment, after which I can decide whether to keep requests open or close requests.

@Luna the Great of all the Russias…and I would make all the requests XD Jokes aside- I think this would be pretty cool to do! Having a limit amount of requests would be a solid plan. 

9 minutes ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

I am rather uninformed as I have not personally taken much part in the streaming-based consumption of media, and the way in which a fandom centered around a series of that type is like as opposed to one centered around a series that is episodic. I wonder what the results would be if one could observe two parallel universes where, all else being equal, one used an episodic release schedule (whether it be weekly or perhaps spaced out in such a way that seasonal hiatuses are equivalent to episodic hiatuses) and the other a seasonal release schedule?

I mean we live in a time where both can exist separately and can co-exist. You would have to examine statistics from every angle, but both models have their pros and cons. However companies are figuring out ways around their cons  as mentioned before. 

Edited by StarlightNyars
Clarity

9 hours ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

I cannot take seriously those who demand payment for machine learning generated images

Or for the artists who are unaware their skills are being stolen, either by a little hidden clause in the license agreement from Adobe that an AI will be trained using your own drawing style and sold without your knowledge. This world is truly a horrible place. Not like anyone is using Photoshop, right? Not a big deal :yeahno:

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Princess Silky said:

Hopefully a peaceful day at worst -- an exciting day at best :pinkie:

Thanks Silky :ButtercupLaugh:

8 hours ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

@StarlightNyars

I think you should do it. Or if you want, I can make a sketch for ya. Maybe we can even do a trade :P

I gotta watch that Pokémon livestream since I forgot it’s Pokémon’s anniversary today. 

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

a little hidden clause in the license agreement from Adobe that an AI will be trained using your own drawing style and sold without your knowledge. This world is truly a horrible place. Not like anyone is using Photoshop, right?

Excuse me?

In actuality, I do not yet have a more or less formed opinion on the matter of machine learning based generated images. But I can say that I do not find myself taking the position in defense of obscure fine print. Also, software that arbitrarily connect to the internet are bollocks.

4 hours ago, Princess Silky said:

I think you should do it. Or if you want, I can make a sketch for ya. Maybe we can even do a trade :P

I will keep that in mind. It has mainly been a prioritization problem, and the uncertainty of whether I will be able to complete such tasks in a timely manner. But I anticipate that I will be able to experiment this sometime in March.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias