Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about Finland?

碇 シンジン

I think they are good neighbour(I'm a Swede), and that I'm happy to have finnish blood in the family(not really to the degree that I'm blood-related, but my Grandfather's sister married a finn and her grandchildren are really sweet).

• Brohoof 1

The language. I'm sure Finnish has thirteen words for one thing.

This was so interesting thing that I had to think about it Here's what I got 

money =

1. raha
  2. pätäkkä
  3. kahiseva
  4. mani
  5. hynä
  6. cashi 
  7. kolehti
  8. mammona
  9. fyffe
  10. rahna
  11. hillo
  12. massi
  13. tuohi
  14. paalu
  15. fygy
  16. käteinen
  17. fyrkka
  18. lantti
  19. killinki
  20. valuutta
  21. kolikko
  22. seteli
  23. pääoma
  24. ropo
  25. omaisuus
  26. dollari
  27. maksuväline

There are probably more but yea. You kinda see where this is going :D Lot of those are some slang but still they are used :P

• Brohoof 2

Being a Norwegian, I know that Finland is a nice country covered in forests and lakes. I know that almost no Norwegian can understand Finnish, and usually makes fun of it, but also that every Norwegian school will tell the students how we must try to reach the high school results in Finland.

I know that the capital is Helsingfors (or Helsinki) and it has one of the most badass cathedrals of Scandinavia, that the classical composer Sibelius is Finnish, and that there are some other musicians I don't remember the names of.

And also Finland gave us this lovely children's cartoon:

beware__groke_by_makeyourchoices-d55gedg

If there was one thing that gave Scandinavian kids childhood traumas, it was this thing. I still shudder just thinking about her.

The Groke.

• Brohoof 1

not to show you any disrespect but I forgot about Finland's existence but its probably the same with a few other countries living in the United States my entire life.... but I have nothing against Finland it sounds like a great place

• Brohoof 1

I was listening to some folk music this morning and was reminded of Finland again. The Kantele is amazing!

For those that do not know what a Kantele is, here's a video. It's a nice instrument belonging to the dulcimer family.

This is by a group called Loituma, who are a Finnish folk band. They are most well known for the leek spin song.

• Brohoof 1

There are two things from Finland that I will always be grateful to that country for: saunas and Apocalyptica.

Also, any country that Monty Python makes a song about has to be a cool place.

• Brohoof 1

Finland's contributions to the world of motorsports is long and storied. Not so much cars or teams, but drivers. Vatanen, Aaltonen, Rosberg (Technically, just Keke. Nico has dual-citizenship of Finland and Germany, but his passport says Germany on it.), Raikkonen, Mäkinen, Bo77as (See what I did there?), Hakkinen, and Toivonen to name a few.

• Brohoof 1

@@ooBrony

I know for a fact that the coolest music / music video from my childhood was made in Finland in the glorious year that was 1998.

Much kudos and love to Finland from Denmark. <3

Edited by Guest

well what I think about finland that it seems like a cool place to go sometime I'm 50% finish because my dads grandparent's were from there so I like to go there sometime and learn about there way of life because I find that stuff cool.

Edited by DragonKing235
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't really researched the topic of Finland, other than I know one of my favorite musicians live there called HIM. I would like to go anywhere, it doesn't matter where, just go! :)

• 5 years later...

I love Finland, and Finns too (even part-Finns; @ridaranka is partially Finnish for example). I've only visited once, back in 2011(?) I think, and I was only there for a week - but I would definitely like to return someday. Beautiful weather, great nature/scenery and wonderful traditions/culture. If I were better acquainted with the incomprehensible language (I tried learning a bit of it when I was 15-ish and failed) I'd consider moving there someday.

• Brohoof 1

Finland is a wonderful place! I am not biased as I am only 1/4th Finnish.

The language is very unique and beautiful. The people there are strong (they fought off Russia for god's sake!). @Tacodidra proves that Finland has some very friendly people!

I have also visited Finland myself once... Oh twice (a cruise ship)...... Åland is Finland too, okay three times! :mlp_icwudt:

I used to know how to count to 10 in Finnish, but it was always that "seven" that eluded me: Seitse... sei.... agh!

• Brohoof 2

The statistics say everything on this one. Good healthcare, good education, and it's the happiest nation in the world. I think it's among the best countries in the world right now, and it doesn't take much to see why.

I'd honestly like to live there as long as I can find some food that I'd actually touch with a ten foot pole, let alone eat.

Edited by AngelDustlicious