Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Preview Clip of Vinyl Scratch being Vinyl Scratch

Andaasonsan

I entirely missed this video, maybe someone else have. As a huge fan of dubstep and MLP, I enjoyed this video and are now 100% hyped for Rainbow Rocks! And once again, no comments on how you already knew this and how not up to date I am, but I know you, you are a nice bunch :)

Enjoy som epic wubs!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Yeah, pretty badass, wasn't it?  B)

Very! When Vinyl walked into the school, it looked like the students had been shot with the dubstep gun! :)

Edited by Artemis
Fixed broken quote

, I merged your thread about that Rainbow Rocks trailer into this one, as it was older. Please run a search or have a look about before starting a new thread, in case we may already have one for the topic you have in mind.

(edited)

Just to inform everyone: Not  Dubstep, it's Glitch Hop.

I like the fact that we're having a genre debate on this thread. :P

Glitch Hop Is interesting because much like Dubstep, a lot of what gets labeled as "Glitch Hop" Is pretty much just Electro House/Complextro, which is what I would call the music in this video. (But we've already discussed this)

Man I love Glitch Hop.

Edited by Hansel

This video has proven me a hypicrit as I have never heard any good dubstep songs and just put it in my not so good list now what do I need to do now being this sold me to watch the movie.

This video has proven me a hypicrit as I have never heard any good dubstep songs and just put it in my not so good list now what do I need to do now being this sold me to watch the movie.

Allow me to refer you to one of my earlier posts. :catface:

It's because it's not Dubstep, people just associate wubs with Dubstep for some reason.

Knock yourself out. ;)

• Brohoof 1

I like the fact that we're having a genre debate on this thread. :P

Glitch Hop Is interesting because much like Dubstep, a lot of what gets labeled as "Glitch Hop" Is pretty much just Electro House/Complextro, which is what I would call the music in this video. (But we've already discussed this)

Man I love Glitch Hop.

Electro House: 128-132BPM Bass-Heavy, generally aggressively modulated electronic music.

Complextro: 128-132BPM Bass-Heavy, generally aggressively modulated and extremely complex electronic music, often sporting a trademark 16th note bounce

Glitch Hop: 100-110BPM Bass-Heavy, generally aggressively modulated electronic music. (Hard to keep apart from Moombahcore)

Moombahcore: 100-110BPM Bass-Heavy, generally aggressively modulated electronic music. Has a distinct flow to it. (Hard to keep apart from Glitch Hop)

I felt like I needed to define some stuff. No harm intended.

• Brohoof 1

Electro House: 128-132BPM Bass-Heavy, generally aggressively modulated electronic music.

Complextro: 128-132BPM Bass-Heavy, generally aggressively modulated and extremely complex electronic music, often sporting a trademark 16th note bounce

Glitch Hop: 100-110BPM Bass-Heavy, generally aggressively modulated electronic music. (Hard to keep apart from Moombahcore)

Moombahcore: 100-110BPM Bass-Heavy, generally aggressively modulated electronic music. Has a distinct flow to it. (Hard to keep apart from Glitch Hop)

I felt like I needed to define some stuff. No harm intended.

I'm gonna produce some Complextro with 110PBM just to fuck with everyone. No one will know what to label it as and everyone will flip shit and have heated debates about the origins of the universe in the comments section.

I'm gonna produce some Complextro with 110PBM just to fuck with everyone. No one will know what to label it as and everyone will flip shit and have heated debates about the origins of the universe in the comments section.

The combination of the 128BPM tempo and trademark rapid modulation makes Complextro sound like Complextro. Producing Complextro at 110BPM would make it sound like Glitch Hop or Moombahcore, depending on the complexity and flow of the track. 

Take a Complextro track:

Now, play the drop a couple times to get it in your head, then imagine it at the speed of this Glitch Hop:

Sounds like Glitch Hop, doesn't it?

(edited)

The combination of the 128BPM tempo and trademark rapid modulation makes Complextro sound like Complextro. Producing Complextro at 110BPM would make it sound like Glitch Hop or Moombahcore, depending on the complexity and flow of the track. 

Take a Complextro track:

Now, play the drop a couple times to get it in your head, then imagine it at the speed of this Glitch Hop:

Sounds like Glitch Hop, doesn't it?

Electro House and Complextro I get because Complextro is essential a sub-genre and I can see how it evolved.

Glitch Hop, On the other hand, confuses me because there seems to be different kinds of music that get the called "Glitch Hop" which don't really sound much alike.

The Glitch Hop I got into at first was easily identifiable with swings, chopped up wobbles and "juicy" basslines, sometimes with Hip-Hop influences depending how far back you go. I can see traditional Glitch music elements in it as well.

But I'm seeing a lot of stuff that's essentially Electro House with a slower tempo and I keep wondering why people are calling this Glitch Hop, such as some of Tristam's tracks.

That's not to say I don't like said Tristam tracks, I do.

I kinda get what you're saying with regards to that track, though.

Edited by Hansel

While I see where you are coming from, I don't really see her as playing two songs as her "defined genre".

My cousin is a local DJ, has done weddings and plenty of other contract events, he doesn't only play one genre of music. Sometimes the stuff he plays isn't even really up to him, rather it's set by the bride or whoever hired him. You've got to cater to the event. His personal stuff he plays in his truck or at home are all over the place even more then when he DJs.

I think the only time a "defined genre" actually makes sense is if they create their own music, otherwise a DJ just plays tracks.

Okay, first off a wedding DJ, isn't the same thing as a "Performing DJ" 

I feel as though I have to make this statement, because those not "in the know" are still getting confused about what a "real DJ" is.

(No offense to wedding DJ's, because it's a hard job...I played a couple weddings before, (which I hated doing...it was really out of my element) and I know it's tough...I just don't see it as real "Djing" though) 

Basically in the most proper of terms, you have 4 Types of DJ's.

Wedding/radio DJ's = Basically human ipods. It's just press play, wait for song to end, maybe talk on a mic for a second, play the next song, overcharge your customer. 

Old School Scratch DJ's/Turntableists = The Dj's who got their claim to fame by scratching, doing creative dj tricks, and beat juggling. These guys were pretty talented, and were basically a league of their own. They didn't normally play "sets" but rather, did routines. There were many famous competitions hosted for this type of djing, and those that won became legends. examples include DJ Qbert, DJ Venom (who is also a mixing DJ), and Jazzy Jeff. 

Set DJ's/Classic Mixing DJ = The most common "real" DJ out there. They focus on long sets, beatmatching (which means making each song flow seamlessly into the other on beat and in key) bringing in digital effects when needed, and basically taking crowds on an experience. (Older DJ's and a few modern ones would also add scratch elements and tricks every once and a while, but this has become a lost art in todays scene.) noteable examples are Tiesto, paul oakenfold, armin van buuren, ferry corsten. 

Ableton/Live Performers = DJ's or producers who bring live synths, drum pads, or anything triggered in a digital audio workspace to be performed live seamlessly with each track they play. noteable examples are deadmau5, paul van dyk, and underworld. 

now that I got that out of my system, on topic? Wow...I am trying so hard not to set myself up for disappointment, (especially after the rainbow rocks trailer) but after this scene? must...not...enjoy....too late! This was actually pretty well done! I find this awesome actually! They kinda matched vinyl's fan-character to the T, and I'm really excited to see what they do with her. As far as the voice thing? I'm cool if she's silent unless she's played by Jess...then she may speak. But as far as being mute? I'm okay with that actually...it actually makes her more interesting in a way. I also love the background elements as well, I dig the cranky doodle design, and it's nice to see celestia actually being a "principal" instead of just a stand-in character. Basically I'll leave it at this...Good job Hasbro, don't screw it up!

I really enjoyed this short.  I love shorts such as this which tell a story with no dialogue, and just through action.  Of course, this is made all the more hilarious since it is Vinyl, and everyone is just waiting for her to speak.

Like "dubstep"or not, that backing track here was very well-produced and fun to listen to, and Daniel Ingram proves once again that he can take on pretty much any genre of music.  That's one of the more enjoyable things about the EQG universe--it allows them to experiment with some music that really would't fit into the Equestria universe that well.

Direction, storyboard, and animation-wise, this clip really shined.  Especially considering this is just a short.  Director Ishi Rudell and storyboarder Carrie Mombourquette did a fantastic job creating scenes that matched the music so well, and really got you into the groove.  Not to mention, this also marks the return of Cindy Morrow as writer, after taking an absence from season 4.  Ishi is the director for "Rainbow Rocks," so I'm definitely interested to see what she will bring to the table for that.

Add to that these eight shorts are supposed to be sort-of prologues to the movie, which will connect to it in some way, and it's peaked my interest.  

Overall, this short was simply fun to watch.

• Brohoof 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vinyl scratch is not a big favourite of mine but this was very entertaining, particularly how she was seeing everything move to the beat of her music.

Whenever I rewatch it, I get the music stuck in my head for a few days and I really feel like walking to the beat whenever I go out.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...