Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Concerns about an upcoming episode... [MINOR SPOILERS]

DryGuy84 (Inactive)

I'm nervous about the upcoming episode Inspiration Manifestation by Corey Powell and Meghan McCarthy. The former hasn't really had a great track-record with Rarity, and most collaborations on this show don't end well. I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but I wanted to get this off my chest. I have a feeling that if Ghostie reads this he won't be happy either :lol: , but I'm also willing to give the writers a chance.  

Edited by DryColt84
  • Brohoof 1

I'm willing to give those two writers a chance to show what they can do. Separately they can make good episodes, but together in a collaboration it has to be done good/well to make me think that collaborations can work. Although, in the past most collaborations don't hit off.

Well, im too pretty nervous because of Inspiration Manifestation, but thats just because im concerned about every Rarity episode beforehand. Nevertheless i'd say that season four has handled her pretty great for the most part. So im permitting myself a little bit of cautious optimism.

Many people didn't think Merriwether was cut out for writing Rainbow Dash either, but once season 3 and Wonderbolts Academy came, many fans agreed that she delivered her best episode, both for herself and for RD

I still say Powell should get that same chance, plus I think she writes a great Spike. But if they screw up both Powell and McCarthy should share the blame

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

I have a feeling that if Ghostie reads this he won't be happy either

Um…dude, Giggle at the @ghostfacekiller39 already knows the news. :P To say he's not happy is an understatement.

Time to cut it to the chase. Powell actually wrote a pretty good Rarity in Sleepless in Ponyville. Sure, what she did toed the line, but because she was counterbalanced by caring for Sweetie Belle and Sweetie tolerated the cartoon gag, it never crossed it. To say Rarity was out of character in SiP is, putting it nicely, major hyperbole. The only time where she really wrote Rarity out of character was Ranbow Falls, where everyone sans Soarin' and Derpy was out of character.

As for Spike, he was very out of character in Just for Sidekicks. In SaYS, he was a bumbling idiot who couldn't do a single, simple task correct. JfS slid the out-of-character scale by making Spike extremely selfish, manipulative, unlikeable, and evil. He was a major scumbag, which doesn't fit him, either.

Like what said in the OP, collaborations tend to not be written all that well. Power Ponies was fun in the stupid kind, and Three's a Crowd would've flopped if Discord didn't steal Twilight's and Cadance's thunder. In FIM's four-year history, the only collaboration to work was Pinkie Pride (AKR teleplayed, Thiessen came up with the story), and it wasn't a true cllaboration. However, it's unknown how they'll handle Spike and Rarity come here. Since there are no details beyond two vague summaries, it's merely a wait-and-see game at this point.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

I'm not too worried... I mean yeah, Powell hasn't ever written Rarity well really(and that might just be an understatement) but Meghan definitely has, so as long as they wrote the episode well together I think it should be fine. Nothing can really be known for sure until we see the final product of the episode though. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

Many people didn't think Merriwether was cut for writing Rainbow Dash either, but by the time season 3 and Wonderbolts Academy came, and many fans agreed that she delivered her best episode, both for herself and for RD

I still say Powell should get that same chance, plus I think she writes a great Spike. But if they screw up both Powell and McCarthy should share the blame

Yes, exactly. We need to learn to give the writers a fair chance before voicing our concerns. I think that the best example of writer who made a complete 180 was Dave Polsky. When he 1st started on the show, I remember many people didn't like his episodes (Feeling Pinkie Keen, Over a Barrel, Spike at Your Service, and Games Ponies Play come to mind). But by the time season 4 came around, he has knocked it out of the park with every single episode under his name. He may just be my favorite writer on the show as of right now :lol:.

So yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about Powell and McCarthy writing for this upcoming episode. They both have written great episodes in the past already and the show staff never ceases to amaze me ^_^.   

(edited)

Um…dude, Giggle at the @ghostfacekiller39 already knows the news. :P To say he's not happy is an understatement.

Time to cut it to the chase. Powell actually wrote a pretty good Rarity in Sleepless in Ponyville. Sure, what she did toed the line, but because she was counterbalanced by caring for Sweetie Belle and Sweetie tolerated the cartoon gag, it never crossed it. To say Rarity was out of character in SiP is, putting it nicely, major hyperbole. The only time where she really wrote Rarity out of character was Ranbow Falls, where everyone sans Soarin' and Derpy was out of character.

As for Spike, he was very out of character in Just for Sidekicks. In SaYS, he was a bumbling idiot who couldn't do a single, simple task correct. JfS slid the out-of-character scale by making Spike extremely selfish, manipulative, unlikeable, and evil. He was a major scumbag, which doesn't fit him, either.

Like what said in the OP, collaborations tend to not be written all that well. Power Ponies was fun in the stupid kind, and Three's a Crowd would've flopped if Discord didn't steal Twilight's and Cadance's thunder. In FIM's four-year history, the only collaboration to work was Pinkie Pride (AKR teleplayed, Thiessen came up with the story), and it wasn't a true cllaboration. However, it's unknown how they'll handle Spike and Rarity come here. Since there are no details beyond two vague summaries, it's merely a wait-and-see game at this point.

I wasn't implying OoC behavior in Sleepless in Ponyville, but I meant to say (I wasn't clear with it at all 'cause I'm dumb) is that both Spike and Rarity have had possible OoC characterization under the writer elsewhere. My main concern though was the collaboration part of this episode's writing. Imo only Three's a Crowd was a successful collaboration, with Putting Your Hoof Down just barely missing the mark for me. So yea, sorry, I don't word my posts all that well, so I often only get half my point across.

Edited by DryColt84

First off, lemme say I am 110% fucking PISSED that Powell is writing a Rarity episode. She's writing for a show being broadcasted to tons of people; she should learn how to write the characters in the show, because she flat out doesn't.

ESPECIALLY Rarity; Corey Powell does NOT know these characters, and she SHOULD NOT have a job on the writing staff; she's written 3 episodes; 2 are considered amongst the worst of the series, and all 3 are amongst my least favorites of the series (I stand by my belief that the Luna appearance/Scootaloo-RD sisterly bond is the only reason that episode is loved, and is dreadful in most other aspects.) 

The fact the Corey Powell is being allowed to write a character she so obviously struggles writing infuriates me.

Powell, may McCarthy guide you and bless your soul, because if I was your boss, your ass would've been kicked to the curb a long time ago.

• Brohoof 2

First off, lemme say I am 110% fucking PISSED that Powell is writing a Rarity episode. She's writing for a show being broadcasted to tons of people; she should learn how to write the characters in the show, because she flat out doesn't.

ESPECIALLY Rarity; Corey Powell does NOT know these characters, and she SHOULD NOT have a job on the writing staff; she's written 3 episodes; 2 are considered amongst the worst of the series, and all 3 are amongst my least favorites of the series (I stand by my belief that the Luna appearance/Scootaloo-RD sisterly bond is the only reason that episode is loved, and is dreadful in most other aspects.) 

The fact the Corey Powell is being allowed to write a character she so obviously struggles writing infuriates me.

Powell, may McCarthy guide you and bless your soul, because if I was your boss, your ass would've been kicked to the curb a long time ago.

Epic proclamation there, Ghostie.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I still think she did fine with Rarity in her debut, like @Dark Qiviut stated in this thread, and I have stated before. I don't really wanna start up that debate again, but I just wanna make it clear my stance hasn't changed (that episode is in my top ten still, no seriously look at my post in the Pinkie Pride thread).

Yes, exactly. We need to learn to give the writers a fair chance before voicing our concerns. I think that the best example of writer who made a complete 180 was Dave Polsky. When he 1st started on the show, I remember many people didn't like his episodes (Feeling Pinkie Keen, Over a Barrel, Spike at Your Service, and Games Ponies Play come to mind). But by the time season 4 came around, he has knocked it out of the park with every single episode under his name. He may just be my favorite writer on the show as of right now :lol:.

So yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about Powell and McCarthy writing for this upcoming episode. They both have written great episodes in the past already and the show staff never ceases to amaze me ^_^.   

You do have a point, Polsky has been excellent this season (yes, I even like Daring Don't).

Edited by DryColt84

Maybe it's co-written by McCarthy to counterpoise Powell's... um, inabili- no, incomp- nah... uh, um, yeah, problems at writing for the show. :D

I for one am not worried in the slightest, actually. Especially because I can't wait for the Sparity shipping fuel. Especially because McCarthy should be enough to ensure a good, regular episode.

• Brohoof 1

I wasn't implying OoC behavior in Sleepless in Ponyville,
I know you weren't. ;) I was addressing those who proclaimed Rarity to be OOC in Powell's stories in general (which is plain false).
  • Brohoof 1

or we could just wait for the episode to air before getting our knickers in a twist

I haven't paid any attention at all to the episode writer since I started watching and I don't plan to start either.

or we could just wait for the episode to air before getting our knickers in a twist

I haven't paid any attention at all to the episode writer since I started watching and I don't plan to start either.

What if I enjoy the sensation of my knickers being twisted?  :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Meghan is doing her best. I don't think her writing is bad. If characters are out of character, it doesn't really matter to me. I don't want people to be angry with me but...aren't we being a little critical here? I watch the show because I love the characters and they inspire me, but on a side note the show just means a lot to me and I like any episode. They all make me happy.

...Isn't that what matters anymore...

• Brohoof 1

Corey wrote Sleepless in Ponyville, Just for Sidekicks, and Rainbow Falls. All episodes I liked. I'm not really concerned

Edited by Rivendare