Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Synopsis for upcoming G5 comic.

CastletonSnob

Can't say I know what to think yet. One thing about Discord's character that rubbed me the wrong way was an over-reliance on him. He was explosively popular, and the show writers needed to think of new ways to keep him involved. It might not have been the best idea to reform him so early in the series.

That's not me complaining, but I don't want the same kind of over-reliance on Discord for G5 if he truely has lived so long.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, TheGleaner said:

Isn't discord supposed to be the enternal being thing?

Our understanding says yes, he does live forever. This discussion is about the real-world creative decision to keep him included in the story, and the in-comic reason why Discord continues to live in Equestria.

23 minutes ago, Stancet said:

Our understanding says yes, he does live forever. This discussion is about the real-world creative decision to keep him included in the story, and the in-comic reason why Discord continues to live in Equestria.

My point. You call it a continuation of G4, you can't ignore the thing that lives forever. Simple enough. 

16 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Why do I get the feeling that the comic will reveal that Discord was the one who caused the magic to disappear?

I don't really think that will happen here.  If only because of the whole magic disappearing thing is too big of a plotpoint to be explained or resolved in supplementary material such as the comics.

I’m intrigued to see where this goes. I also think it’s interesting how this is the only generation that relies on the previous generation’s end. Every other gen scrapped all previous lore in favorite of a whole new story. Seeing Discord in this comic isn’t much of a surprise after seeing the Mane 6 in the movie but it does make me wonder exactly how powerful his influence in this new world will be.

On 2022-04-22 at 3:02 PM, CastletonSnob said:

Does anyone expect this comic to be good? It's IDW.

IDW has been absolutely killing it with the Sonic comics after taking them over from Archie, so I don't think expecting poor quality is particularly fair.

Going to see what they do before I make decisions. I've never understood people who sign off without even trying something, personally. Opinions should be formed from the content, not the premise. :derp: Premises are often influenced by the parent company. The story itself is what IDW's writers are actually responsible for. Taking an idea that has ulterior motive to sell toys or grab attention (such as returning a popular character) and crafting a good story with it is part of what it means to be a writer for professional media. Sure, sometimes it doesn't work out, but other times it does. No one's gonna find out which from knee jerking to a premise.

• 1 year later...
(edited)
On 2022-04-22 at 4:16 PM, Chaos-404-Not-Found said:

I don't read comics, as they aren't interesting to me. Anyways, it's worth noting that the G5 comics may not necessarily share the same canon as the G5 show, so the return of Discord could likely be limited only to the comics. However, in the event that the comics do share the same canon as the show, I would be displeased at the return of Discord.

With the apparent end of Make Your Mark, I've been wondering if there will be tighter continuity between IDW's MLP comics and Tell Your Tale. Of course that would require a lot of coordination between the show staff and the comic's creators. Make Your Mark and Tell Your Tale couldn't even maintain tight continuity between each other. 

Edited by Otaku-sempai
  • Brohoof 1