Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Synopsis for upcoming G5 comic.

CastletonSnob

We have a synopsis for the upcoming G5 comic, and it features the return of a familiar character.

Spoiler

With Discord on the loose, Izzy, Sunny, and Pipp hunker down to look for clues! And Detective Zipp is on the case, too, right? Well... not when Queen Haven is away at a royal conference and needs a babysitter for her beloved Cloudpuff. But Zipp ends up pulling double duty when Cloudpuff goes missing, too! Enlisting Hitch and his critter-whispering prowess, Zipp and Hitch set out to find Cloudpuff before Queen Haven returns. And hopefully dig up a clue or two on Discord while they're at it.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/04/synopsis-covers-and-artist-revealed-for.html

• Brohoof 3

Really not sure on this. I didn't really want a sequel series to G4 in the first place and so far G5 still hasn't sold me on the idea. I was kind of hoping they'd leave the fates of G4 characters open, and let G5 stand on it's own. But now they're bringing back Discord in the very first comic. I just want G5 to be it's own thing.

So intrigued. I wanna know what they do!

1 hour ago, BastementSparkle said:

Really not sure on this. I didn't really want a sequel series to G4 in the first place and so far G5 still hasn't sold me on the idea. I was kind of hoping they'd leave the fates of G4 characters open, and let G5 stand on it's own. But now they're bringing back Discord in the very first comic. I just want G5 to be it's own thing.

My guess is they will probably relegate those sort of explorations into G4 to the comic for the most part. MAYBE they might touch on something in the MYM series, but I don't see it happening as much.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Does anyone expect this comic to be good? It's IDW.

Comics are hit and miss, but this seems to be a case of them not learning a damned thing and continue running with the worst ideas

The synopsis does seem to be setting up Discord as the villain, so I do hope the arc ends with him being dispelled in some way. The comments on the EqD article kind of surprised me with a commonality of weariness for Discord hate, and while I do not blame them...I still find my weariness for Discord himself to be justified. 

Well I've liked a lot of them. And it's not often they conflict with the show. The only two comics I remember people truely disliking where the Sirens comic, which got written out with Shadow Play and the Pillars, and that one Wild West town issue where Twilight wouldn't use magic on the cattle bad guys.

1 minute ago, Toastypk said:

Well I've liked a lot of them. And it's not often they conflict with the show. The only two comics I remember people truely disliking where the Sirens comic, which got written out with Shadow Play and the Pillars, and that one Wild West town issue where Twilight wouldn't use magic on the cattle bad guys.

Don't forget Root of the Problem. It has its defenders with people who like the addition of deer to the lore, but the actual plot of the comic, I feel is generally agreed to be bad with its in-your-face, trite environmental message. 

Oh and another thing, the G4 comic started a bit of a ways into the show and its congruence with the show was hit or miss, but with G5, I think everyone might be starting on the same page. There might be a level of coordination going on.

26 minutes ago, Toastypk said:

So intrigued. I wanna know what they do!

My guess is they will probably relegate those sort of explorations into G4 to the comic for the most part. MAYBE they might touch on something in the MYM series, but I don't see it happening as much.

Possibly, but it'll feel real weird if they delve into this stuff in the comics but don't touch it with the show.

10 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

The synopsis does seem to be setting up Discord as the villain, so I do hope the arc ends with him being dispelled in some way. The comments on the EqD article kind of surprised me with a commonality of weariness for Discord hate, and while I do not blame them...I still find my weariness for Discord himself to be justified. 

Discord was actually one of my favorite characters for most of the series. I hated what he did in Season 9 so much that it just totally dropped my opinion of him like a rock. If he's just up to his usual tricks here I'm not going to have any patience for it.

8 minutes ago, BastementSparkle said:

Possibly, but it'll feel real weird if they delve into this stuff in the comics but don't touch it with the show.

Discord was actually one of my favorite characters for most of the series. I hated what he did in Season 9 so much that it just totally dropped my opinion of him like a rock. If he's just up to his usual tricks here I'm not going to have any patience for it.

I honestly used to like him a lot too, I even held out hope for them redeeming him in the comics after the Grogar twist. :sunny: But with Season 10's abrupt ending combined with this now, I can only sigh.  

For those fretting about Discord, it's worth looking at the explanation of this G5 comic story as a whole:

“Celeste Bronfman and I hope to bring you an epic story spanning two generations, proving that the eternal powers of love and friendship are never far away to help heal grief into strength and loss into joy once again.”

Think of this what you will.

This might get feelsy.

Edited by Toastypk

6 minutes ago, Toastypk said:

For those fretting about Discord, it's worth looking at the explanation of this G5 comic story as a whole:

“Celeste Bronfman and I hope to bring you an epic story spanning two generations, proving that the eternal powers of love and friendship are never far away to help heal grief into strength and loss into joy once again.”

Think of this what you will.

This might get feelsy.

I'm not sure I'll be able to muster up any sympathy for him at this point. Not after what he did in Season 9 and the ease with which it was brushed off and he got away with it, not even being called out for all of his crimes. I hope they portray him well, but at this point unless the series gives him a whole second redemption arc that fully acknowledges all he did wrong I just don't think he can win me back.

I don't read comics, as they aren't interesting to me. Anyways, it's worth noting that the G5 comics may not necessarily share the same canon as the G5 show, so the return of Discord could likely be limited only to the comics. However, in the event that the comics do share the same canon as the show, I would be displeased at the return of Discord.

(edited)

The writer and artist for this comic are the ones who did Issue #98. You know, that comic where Celestia and Luna get all sad over losing dolls over 1000 years ago.

Yeah, I don't think this comic will be good.

And why Discord? Why not Spike? Spike was the closest with Twilight.

Edited by CastletonSnob

I feel like Discord causing chaos again is pretty ironic, considering the fact that he was reformed, just saying. But all of the IDW comics I've ever read were all good, despite them not being all on the topic of staying cannon. 
From the first look at one of the covers, people, and when I say people I'm including myself, thought Discord was dead. It's nice knowing that he's is in fact, not dead, and if Discord is still alive, it makes me wonder about the whereabouts of the old, cast in stone villain's we once knew from Season 9 of Fim

MLP_G5_2_CVR_A.PNG

I'm not usually into the comics much, but this has me interested. Definitely might consider buying it once it releases.

I'd love to see Discord again, tbh. I've always loved that menace.

I'm interested! I really like Discord (or want to, I guess, liked him better before season 6), so I'm hoping they're using this as an opportunity to explore how he's outlived all his friends.

Or perhaps, he's simply visiting a different dimension from where FiM takes place, where Twilight isn't able to maintain harmony? :o Or maybe it's Discord's fault that all the pony races separated? Again, very interested to see his involvement in all of this

Either way, it's IDW comics, so doubtful that it's going to impact the show very much, but who knows

Figured you'd be the one to make the thread here.

The return of Discord? Hmmm... Makes sense given how he has lived far longer than most other characters. It does beg the question as to how he will feel deep down knowing those he cared about have long since passed on and if he can find some connection with the new characters.

If this writer can get it right, Discord's inclusion will be a very good one.