Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Most tragic video game character?

Adachi

The Vault Dweller from Fallout 1.

>gets kicked out by overseer so he can find a water chip for the water filtration system

>finds one, overseer kicks him out again so he can destroy all the mutants

>saves the world from super mutants

>returns back to his home, vault 13

>gets kicked out by the overseer again

For me I thought for awhile it was Ethan Mars from Heavy Rain, he has a pretty shitty life...and then I was introduced to Seigmeyer of Catarina. Now this really goes down to opinion since both have pretty tragic stories to their lives but onto the point

Here you have a proud knight cursed with a fate worse than death, becoming a hollow. With that he is forced to leave. Catarina along with his wife and daughter only to live a life of adventure as it's the only thing to keep him from hollowing. Slowely over time you erode his honor as a knight as you help him time after time again and then comes along his daughter who isn't even an undead. She ventures the land in search of him to tell him of his wife's last dying words. After that he goes downhill and becomes hollowed and thus must be put down by his daughter again permanently. 

This is of course just a quick summary of it all, RIP Seigmeyer 

post-12867-0-44733500-1398779326.jpg

Roxas from Kindom Hearts. 

358/2 days made me feel pretty bad for him. His friendship with Axel, and Xion was a really awesome thing. It sucks that it couldn't last.

So basically the poor guy finally makes a friend (Axel), and then shortly loses his memory and disappears. Also, he was never even really "real" to begin with.

Wheatley from Portal 2.  A poor little robot sap who wants nothing more than to help you.  He goes cuckoo for cocoa puffs thanks to a virus, tries to kill you, get blasted into space, reverts back to his old self, and all he can do for all eternity while spinning mile around Jupiter is contemplate how much he wants to apologize to you.

• Brohoof 1

Godot himself got it just as bad (At least his ending was somewhat happier than Terry's).

And don't forget about Terra, Aqua, and Ven. Even more so in DDD, when Xehanort became a cheap-@$$ Villain Sue and basically crapped all over their sacrifices (The main reason why I'll never buy that game, btw).

Also, there was Odio/Oersted from Live A Live (At least the best ending gave him a peaceful death with renewed idealism).

But...I thought that DDD is what made Xehanort into one of the best villains of all time. :(

Clementine from the Walking Dead game. At only nine years old, she finds her parents as zombies and the only actual guardian figure she has left is either forced to be put down or left to turn. I cried that at part. 

The Wanderer and Agro in Shadow of the Colossus. Oh man that was sad to what happened to the horse in the end.

You mean the horse that appeared in the ending anyway? The horse didn't die, it just fell.

• Brohoof 1

You mean the horse that appeared in the ending anyway? The horse didn't die, it just fell.

Oh my god, your right! But at the moment I was sad.

But...I thought that DDD is what made Xehanort into one of the best villains of all time. :(

BBS made him into one of the best villains of all time; DDD just made him into Aizen 2.0.

But I did use to like him, don't get me wrong.

Edited by Anti-Villain

I'm surprised Captain Martin Walker, the protagonist from Spec Ops: The Line, hasn't been posted. I'll spoil bits of it, but try to keep it vague enough that you'd still have incentive to play it.

He enters Dubai investigating for survivors of a recent biblically-powerful sandstorm. He finds that the recent military occupation has turned into some kind of hellish martial law where residents are kept in check with fear. Then, he decides to play the hero to save them.

The result of his actions are infinitely more horrible than anything that might have happened had he never entered Dubai. It goes eons beyond "failing your mission". The final "choice" moment of the game is whether or not to shoot yourself. And you honestly have to think about it. Even if you stay the trigger, Walker's lines after the credits give the impression that there isn't much left of him.

"Captain...we've seen a lot of the city on our way here. We saw things......that...How did you survive all this?"

"...who says I did."

In my opinion, Booker DeWitt from Bioshock Infinite. He represses the memory of losing his daughter to pay his debts. The same people who took her take advantage of him and make him kidnap a girl for them, making him believe he still has debts. He goes through so much crap because of them, and when he learns a dark secret that could change everything, the girl kills him.

Sure he's not quite AS tragic as most of the choices but I'd say Conker T Squirrel is pretty damned tragic. Lets see.

He made a wrong turn while drunk as a skunk trying to get home which started his incredibly bad fur day. At first it's not too bad. But once it became night it was hellish. Forcibly transformed into a bat and ordered to feed an ancestor villagers then having to fight off countless zombies. Not too bad. Then he's thrown into the battlefield of a long going war with half of that level being a homage to saving private Ryan so yeah you can figure out how that went on your own. For a bit it seems like everything will be okay.he goes through a heist and it's pretty cool. But then. It happens. You see this panther king who sent minions after him to be a replacement table leg(don't ask) had a professor as an assistant. The said professor was planning on turning his master into a strange xenomorph-esque creature. Oh did I mention this tajes place on a spaceship? Anyways.

then comes the tragic bit. The alien named "Heinrich" attacks Conkers dear girlfriend,Berri and kills her. Conker dons a robotic suit much like Ripleys from Aliens and the fight plays out like the Bowser boss battle from Super Mario 64. But right when it seems like he's going to be alien chow, the game locks up. Conker makes a deal with a game developer, and sends himself back to the throne room of the panther kings palace, wielding a katana. He decapitates the monster and then the game unlocks. Conkers rather pleased now but then he has a sudden realization. He could've asked to bring Berri back. Frantically he calls for the game developer. They're gone. He's then greeted by the ones he met in his journey. They make him king, against his will mind you. He can never leave. He's stuck with these idiots forever. He doesn't want to be king. He wants to go home with his girlfriend. But she's gone. And that's all his fault. He could've brought her back but he missed his chance. So he will forever live with the guilt of missing said chance. And he delivers one of my favorite video game ending quotes ever. " So, here I am, King. King of all the land. Who'd have thought that? Huh, not me. I guess you know who these guys are now, because I certainly do. I don't wanna know them. And yup, I may be king, I have all the money in the world … and all the land … and all that stuff. But you know … I don't really think I want it. I just wanna go home, with Berri, and I dunno, have a bottle of beer. Hmmm … it's not gonna happen. It's true what they say, 'The grass is always greener, and you don't really know what it is you have, until it's gone … gone … gone …"

Well I'm an incurable Soul Reaver fan-girl, but this thread has some better candidates simply because Raziel has the mental profile to get angry instead of broken. 

"Why do I survive one trial after another... on and on in an endless succession of humiliating deaths and resurrections?"

He was executed painfully in the same manner as cowards and weaklings, woke up to find that he was ugly, found out that all his children were dead, killed his brothers, started to discover that he was Destiny's plaything... and then lots of really interesting and messed-up stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Otacon from MGS. THE POOR GUY CAN'T CATCH A BREAK EVERY WOMAN HE LOVES DIES AFTER HE MEETS THEM

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

John Marston.He is a former outlaw who decides to settle down with his family,but the government kidnaps them and forces him to kill his former criminal friends.Then after all that's said and done,he finally settles down with his family,seemingly for real this time,and then two weeks later the government guys come back with the friggin' army and try to kill him.Then he sacrifices himself so his wife and son can escape,and kills some of the attackers but dies in the process(you have 15+1 bullets in your gun,so if you are quick enough you can kill 16 before going down).

Then his wife dies two years later and his son becomes what his father was trying to save him from(a murderer like he used to be).Then the son brutally kills the leader of the government agents,who is now an old man and the game ends.

Edited by Alpha9571

That koopa troopa from the first mario level stuck between two pipes endlessly going back and forth over and over again constantly being tortured for the rest of eternity, because if he isn't killed he will live forever being part of a video game.