Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can mankind make another universe?

Colorful Respawn

So I got done watching a bit of Through The Worm Hole: with Morgan Freeman  :wub: and the topic was on after the sun dies. Scientists are working on creating an artificial sun powered by black holes! Because apparently all black holes are is energy. :blink:  Another thing that scientists think they can make is a whole new universe because they think this universe won't last forever. Do you think they can make an entire universe? Because as a Christian, that would be considered to be like God. My mind is officially blown! 

post-24870-0-76067200-1396926583.jpg

(edited)

I say why not? We'll never advance as a species if we allow superstition to hold us back. Look how far back it set science.

Edited by Princess of the Sun
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The multiverse thing suggests that we create another alternate universe every time me decide something.

Every time something is done, another universe appears in which the thing is not done.

In some way... we are creating new universes every time we decide something.

Edited by SwigglySwiggly
  • Brohoof 1

it depends how you look at it, if you are theistic you can believe God created the universe and life, life creating life happens all the time, if for somehow you can create a universe it can only support the idea that maybe intelligent creators brought us the universe and it takes intelligent designers to create and maybe we are a product today of an intelligent design and maybe our designers have designers to them and on and on and on.....I need a joint now 

• Brohoof 1

What about that thing where matter can't be created nor destroyed...

On the other hand, matter can be converted from one form to another. Given copious amounts of energy, new planets can form from the conversion of existing matter. That is how planets are formed through novae.  However as a Scientist, I find it extremely far-fetched that scientists could create a replica sun, let alone an entire universe. However, that is definitely not my field of interest or expertise, so I really do not know what we are capable of in that department. 

If mankind could create universes using technology, it would only lead to trouble.

Some people become corrupt when they have a lot of power, but creating an entire universe? You're asking for it.

Who knows.

I'm disappointed in you MLPForums. How could you guys talk about making another universe without suggesting we use that as a way to make Equestria real?

• Brohoof 4

Shart answer? No. Absolutly not.

Long Answer: The universe is so unbelieveably huge that it is impossible to 'create' one. We don't even know how OURS was created. Let alone what is required to make one.

Now you could go with the multiverse theory that universes are created all the time. Or that the multiverse is just an infinite variations of this timeline. In one you didn't make this thread. In another I never responded. And so on and so on, so that EVERY action for decision makes a new universe. So technically if true we've made tons of new universes already! But we'll never find out. So it can't be proven. So in the end it makes no difference.

• Brohoof 1

Shart answer? No. Absolutly not.

Long Answer: The universe is so unbelieveably huge that it is impossible to 'create' one. We don't even know how OURS was created. Let alone what is required to make one.

Now you could go with the multiverse theory that universes are created all the time. Or that the multiverse is just an infinite variations of this timeline. In one you didn't make this thread. In another I never responded. And so on and so on, so that EVERY action for decision makes a new universe. So technically if true we've made tons of new universes already! But we'll never find out. So it can't be proven. So in the end it makes no difference.

size is relative though..............learned that from Men in Black

• Brohoof 1

We already have. Every book you read, every TV show you watch, every video game you play...they are universes. They may not be as complex as the one we live in, they may not follow the same rules, but they are still universes nonetheless. Note that I'm deliberately ignoring the difference between reality and fiction as, to me, that matters little in this sort of discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJOVUF-HaDw

No joke, this scene is what got me interested in multiple worlds theory. When I was 8. Blame this for my curiosity about the universe and all of it's possibilities.

• Brohoof 2

Size? I'm talking the engery requirments. When you talk about universe size you talk about the energy of the universe. The Total energy. Which is so vast that computers would probably melt at computing it. Even if we could control universe amounts of energy we still don't know what to do with it because we don't know how ours was created. (Yes a Big Bang. We don't know what caused the Big Bang.)

Let's concentrate on controlling the engery we get from the sun first before messing with universal amounts. (Even the energy we get from the sun is a tiny fraction of what it puts out.)

Size? I'm talking the engery requirments. When you talk about universe size you talk about the energy of the universe. The Total energy. Which is so vast that computers would probably melt at computing it. Even if we could control universe amounts of energy we still don't know what to do with it because we don't know how ours was created. (Yes a Big Bang. We don't know what caused the Big Bang.)

Let's concentrate on controlling the engery we get from the sun first before messing with universal amounts. (Even the energy we get from the sun is a tiny fraction of what it puts out.)

lol it's not about what is tangible to us today, its about ideas of what is a universe and what is our universe.  Maybe on a grand huge scale of space we are super small and maybe to the grand size of an outer universe we really didnt take that much energy to create

(edited)

The sun will die out eventually? :o that's a scary thought . What if our planet was swallowed by a black hole? Would our existence cease to exist? Would we be wiped from the face of the universe?

I'm probably overthinking this, but it's a scary thought. :(

Edited by Moonlight Magician

The sun will die out eventually? :o that's a scary thought . What if our planet was swallowed by a black hole? Would our existence cease to exist? Would we be wiped from the face of the universe?

I'm probably overthinking this, but it's a scary thought. :(

Dont worry the sun has billions of years of fuel left (7) i think, blackholes are pretty stagnant in there place in the galaxy, wondering blackholes are too far away from us.  Eventually all things will cease to exist but i think humans will die out way before that, hope that eases your mind a little lol

• Brohoof 1

Dont worry the sun has billions of years of fuel left (7) i think, blackholes are pretty stagnant in there place in the galaxy, wondering blackholes are too far away from us.  Eventually all things will cease to exist but i think humans will die out way before that, hope that eases your mind a little lol

Yes it does and I don't think mankind could never make another universe anyway. 

Dont worry the sun has billions of years of fuel left (7) i think, blackholes are pretty stagnant in there place in the galaxy, wondering blackholes are too far away from us. Eventually all things will cease to exist but i think humans will die out way before that, hope that eases your mind a little lol

Thanks! I feel a little bit better. :P I've been reading too much creepypasta. I think i'm a little bit paranoid.

BLASPHEMY!!!! XD jk

But seriously, that seems pretty awesome and scary at the same time. There is much good man can do with the power to create a universe... but at the same time what evils can man do with the power to create a universe? Its scary to think the possibilities.

• Brohoof 1

We already have. Every book you read, every TV show you watch, every video game you play...they are universes. They may not be as complex as the one we live in, they may not follow the same rules, but they are still universes nonetheless. Note that I'm deliberately ignoring the difference between reality and fiction as, to me, that matters little in this sort of discussion.

But how is that supposed to help us escape the heat death of the universe, or (more importantly) allow me to meet my waifu for reals?

Even though we don't know what technology and knowledge we will know in the future, I don't think it is possible for mankind to create another universe. Think about the Big Bang. Do you think humans can create all that force? Maybe they can, maybe they don't. We're not sure. Wait for at least 100-500 years, maybe it's possible. :)

What about that thing where matter can't be created nor destroyed...

This is one of the reasons why we can't, or is it? We could potentially gain the technology to combine asteroids in one area (note: I said potentially, humanity will likely kill itself first.)

But, we can't as well in that case, because we only control a single planet, and have only journeyed through 2 solar systems. We wouldn't necessarily get enough rock and ice to form a habitable planet.

But, that whole "rock-binding" invention? That's also quite impossible, for obvious reasons. Gravity in space just doesn't work that way. It can't be driven in like a bulldozer, or any sort of pilotable craft that doesn't fly. Because space is (Duhh) Empty gas.

But how is that supposed to help us escape the heat death of the universe, or (more importantly) allow me to meet my waifu for reals?

Your imagination is a wonderful thing. The realm of your imagination is a universe of it's own, a universe of your own creation that you control with the utmost control and efficiency. ;)

No one escapes death but that doesn't necessarily mean death is the end of existence. All belief systems aside we really don't know what comes after death so there's no saying what happens. Feel comfort in the fact that you don't know. It's far better than knowing and having to worry about what you have to do to get there.