Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike carrying Rarity's bags

FabulousRarityFan18

Spike carries bags for any pony, but a lot of fans complain when he carries them for Rarity thinking she's greedy for making him carry her stuff. I disagree. I think her letting him carry her stuff is from generosity. Here are reasons why I believe that.

Spike loves helping others. The episode "Power Ponies" is focused on that concept.

Rarity does not have mind control powers (That we are aware of, at least.) She does charm, but I highly doubt she charms Spike every single time she wants him to carry her stuff, and that he can't do anything about it. I also said he carries bags for any pony. Would Rarity really charm Spike into doing that? Before you answer, let me go to my next point.

Spike considers himself a "champion gear-carrier" which means he likes to carry other ponies' stuff. Rarity doesn't need to charm him for him to carry her stuff or anypony's things. 

This is how I think Spike would react if Rarity doesn't let Spike carry her stuff. (It's a script conversation I made up)

(Mane Six are getting ready to go to Canterlot)

Spike: Rarity, do you want me to carry your things for you?

Rarity: No. I'm fine. 

Spike: Are you sure?

Rarity: Yes! Absolutely!

Spike: (Looks down sad) OK... 

Rarity: Well... Alright. (levitates bags to Spike)

Fans: RARITY IS GREEDY! SHE MADE SPIKE CARRY HER BAGS! (Sorry. I had to put that.)

Also, as you can tell, most ponies like to help Rarity, and it's not because she charms them. Do you really think she charmed her sister or friends? Maybe there will be an episode about why ponies like to help Rarity in the future. (The episode where we find out Rarity can use mind control? I'm joking!)

So, what are your thoughts? Am I the only one who sees Rarity being generous when she lets Spike carry her stuff?

Do not mention Rarity Takes Manehattan. Spike's grumpiness was important for a part of the song. If that part didn't exist, I think he would be fine carrying her stuff.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, answer this question:

Is it greed if you are letting someone do what they enjoy?

The answer is "No."

Rarity was not being greedy to Spike for making him carry her stuff because he wanted to do it. 

• Brohoof 5

I wouldn't necessarily call it generous, but Spike enjoys doing favors for everyone, especially Rarity. If anything, it's an example of Spike's manners. He is quite the gentleman, carrying a lady's bags without even having to be asked  :D

• Brohoof 5

I've seen overanalyzing countless of times in the show, and boy it's bothersome!

but I have never seen overanalyzing about something as trivial as carrying Rarity's bags.

like, seriously?  >_>

• Brohoof 7

It's Rarity... if she does something it is always wrong, if the other mane6 do something wrong it is the writers fault.

Spike enjoys helping his friends, he WANTS to help, like you said. Does Rarity enjoy the attention the little guy gives her? Yes! Could Rarity carry the stuff herself? Yes! But Spike gets enjoyment out of it, he feels needed, so let him carry her bags if he wants. It's not like she forces him, he does it because he wants to.

• Brohoof 3

I'm going to add some more lines in there for you:

Critics: PINKIE PIE ISNT CUTE ENOUGH

Critics: TWILIGHT SPARKLE IS OUT OF CHARACTER

Critics: WHERER IS LUNA!1!1!!!!!!!111ONE

• Brohoof 3

Some people just like helping others. It's an admirable trait. Spike is one of those people. He enjoys feeling helpful and needed.

I'm quite self-sufficient and happy to do things for myself. In fact, I'm usually one of those people stopping to help others carry things; it's only polite. Still, when I was dragging an extremely heavy, overloaded suitcase across Japan for a month, I was always insanely grateful when people would help me get it up and down stairs. (I was also in no position to stop them anyway - I didn't speak enough Japanese!)

• Brohoof 3

I've seen overanalyzing countless of times in the show, and boy it's bothersome!

but I have never seen overanalyzing about something as trivial as carrying Rarity's bags.

like, seriously?  >_>

It would be trivial if it isn't something almost everyone complains about. 

• Brohoof 2

It would be trivial if it isn't something almost everyone complains about. 

I have seen that. Spike carrying Rarity's bags is one of the many bullets ignorants that hate Rarity use to step on her. But it's that action combined with many others, not that one standalone.

It's rather pointless discussing something as common as that if you ask me.

• Brohoof 2

Think of it like Skyrim. Spike is the pack mule follower. He just does what needs to be done, and I don't think there were any bad intentions.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Think of it like Skyrim. Spike is the pack mule follower. He just does what needs to be done, and I don't think there were any bad intentions.

I am sworn to carry your burdens, Dovahrity. :muffins:

Cue:

Edited by Obsidian Sky
  • Brohoof 4

He has a crush on her for one thing. Wouldn't any guy try to be chivalrous and try to carry a lady's bags, hold the door, etc. to impress her? 

Yeah, and I think his crush on Rarity is adorable.

• Brohoof 1

He has a crush on her for one thing. Wouldn't any guy try to be chivalrous and try to carry a lady's bags, hold the door, etc. to impress her? 

It was pretty much this whole reason the whole time.  The boy was in a crush state for Rarity, trying to get her attention and doing favours especially for her. 

Yeah, I don't get why people call it servitude or that Rarity is taking advantage of him. Spike is willing to help others and Rarity in particular, he wants the feeling of being needed and in his helpful nature, to do favors.

I don't think most people who complain have a problem with him carrying her bags, I think they have a problem with her method of enlisting his aid at times. She knows he's crushing on her, and she's not afraid to play that. On the other hand, he's all too happy to lend a claw to his beloved Rarity whether or not she bats an eyelash. Nothing to be concerned about here.

But I know Spike would do it for any of the others too, because he's just a nice guy like that, a loyal friend. He's always ready to aid anypony in any way he can with no ulterior motive. Altruism is his element. I think we could probably learn by Spike's example.