Twilight Sparkle... overpowered?

Bendy

(edited)

Twilight Sparkle... a little overpowered you think, as seen in Twilight Kingdom? Granted it's awesome to see her go all power ranger on the bad guy, but thankfully her foe was just as powerful. 

And her powers have come back to their original 'power 'level'.

But in general as rule (for good stories at least) for stories/fan fiction, if your fictional character is powerful, his or her foes must be more powerful or just as powerful. Otherwise the story had no conflict the story/show is boring. Without dangerous foes, that could potentially kill the protagonist, the character would be just a pure Mary Sue/Gary Stu. 

Thankfully Twilight isn't that. But what are your thoughts?

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

your post kind of confuses me. Are you asking if she is overpowered? If so,  I don't think so. Sure she is good at magic but that is her special talent. The only reason she is so powerful in the finale is because she has the powers of all the princesses.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't think that Twilight is overpowered, she was on the near brink of death in the episode but she doesn't seem like a Mary Sue at all. Still the same Twilight but more powerful than before, not overpowered though.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 2

Twilight hasn't blown a planet up yet, or cured cancer with a thought...I think she's not overpowered.

• Brohoof 3

Twilight hasn't blown a planet up yet, or cured cancer with a thought...I think she's not overpowered.

Well, does the season 5 finale have something in store for you. Not only does she blow up the moon in a fight with Vegeta, but she also cures death with a mere thought. And then directly asks the kids to get them to buy their playsets.

OT: She was overpowered in that one instance, but it was fine because the narrative had set it up in such a fashion that it wasn't permanent, and that she really needed to be OP in order to take on the person who had been absorbing almost all magic in Equestria. So while she was op, it was a nessisary time to be OP, and she did not stay in the super sayan mode.

• Brohoof 1

Well, does the season 5 finale have something in store for you. Not only does she blow up the moon in a fight with Vegeta, but she also cures death with a mere thought. And then directly asks the kids to get them to buy their playsets.

Dear lord, she's Goku and Sailor Moon mixed into one! THE SHOW IS DOOMED!

• Brohoof 2

Dear lord, she's Goku and Sailor Moon mixed into one! THE SHOW IS DOOMED!

You can all save the show by buying the princess Twilight sparkle deluxe super rainbow happpy happy funtime with friends playset! You can own it now for only $999.999

Tirek had the magic of I don't know how many ponies within him (implicitly the magic of all ponies plus Discord) and Twilight had her own magic and the magic of the other three princesses. And they come into an "impasse". So yeah... I'd say that Twilight is part of the OP club now.

All that is missing for her to reach Celestia-tier overpowered rank is to be used for the Worf Effect.

Well Its not Twilights power. She had the power of 4 alicorns and thats ALOT of magic, so its not Twilights magic that she is using.

• Brohoof 1

You can all save the show by buying the princess Twilight sparkle deluxe super rainbow happpy happy funtime with friends playset! You can own it now for only $999.999

That sounds like a crazy Japanese comercial for it lol.

Did you not see all of the enormous laser blasts she fired? How is that only a little bit more powerful?  :P

I saw it, very powerful. :P We can all say that it was not overpowered then. :D

Only it won't be. It will be the future of this series.

Twilicane has the same power as Eternal Sailor Moon's rod.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Tirek had the magic of I don't know how many ponies within him (implicitly the magic of all ponies plus Discord) and Twilight had her own magic and the magic of the other three princesses. And they come into an "impasse".

Nice calculaton!

Hmm... so, if we put it in an equation form, this means that:

4 * Alicorn Princesses = Discord + all Unicorns in Equestria

But this means that Discord's power is much less than combined power of 4 Alicorns. If it would be more, Discord would overbalanced the right side of the equation. If all Unicorns combined were 0% of the right side, and Discord 100%, he would still be only as strong as 4 Alicorns, and no more.

We can all say that it was not overpowered then.

Not overpowered? o_O

She was definitely all over 9000 in that episode, and she was like a boiling teapot full of Magic. I just waited for her to sneeze and start teleporting randomly all over the Galaxy.

The only reason she is so powerful in the finale is because she has the powers of all the princesses.

I wonder how will she return them their powers now, and what if their powers get confused along the way ;) You know, Luna getting Celestia's Magic, and vice versa... This could be fun :derp:

Edited by SasQ

I wonder how will she return them their powers now, and what if their powers get confused along the way ;) You know, Luna getting Celestia's Magic, and vice versa... This could be fun :derp:

Celestia, Luna and the other ponies got their powers back when the rainbow mane 6 flew over and restored equestria.

• Brohoof 1

I really need to rewatch the episode on calm, when it appears on YayPonies, since when I was watching the stream, it was constantly losing connection, so I missed some fragments which might be important.

• 3 months later...

We haven't had much indication as to how much of a power boost Twilight got from her ascension, we do know though that she was already powerful even before then and has improved a great deal since the beginning of the series. This is of course to be expected and a certain degree of growth is reasonable, it dosen't seem like she has fallen into the overpowered Mary Sue trap I feared she would but she is not entirely out of the danger zone yet. We will have to see how season 5 goes.