Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpy gets a real name!

Red Cedar

She's often called muffins, and even represented by an image of a muffin from time to time. Because reasons. I blame the media.

I prefer to call her Ditzy, never did like the Derpy name :/

Whatever, her name is Ditzy to me and always will be unless its said offically in the show or by the creators

You know she was officially called Derpy in the show, right?

You know she was officially called Derpy in the show, right?

I remember that being the case when the episode first aired, but wasn't 'Derpy' technically retconned after that part of the episode was rerecorded?

The 100th episode is sopposed to be focusing largely on backround ponies. I'd imagine that if they're going to try to lay Derpygate to rest once and for all it would be there, and the timing of this product's release seems too coincidental otherwise.

I agree, though, I wish she'd gone back to being Ditzy Do. Now I have to explain to my daughter why they changed her name.

hope that ep does get accused of pandering 

I remember that being the case when the episode first aired, but wasn't 'Derpy' technically retconned after that part of the episode was rerecorded?

The name was removed, but it wasn't retconned,at least as far as I'm concerned.  That's the name that was first used to directly refer to her, and no other name has replaced it in the show since. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

The whole name change thing was pointless, the name just meant she was an idiot, it wasn't insulting towards people who are mentally challenged. Honestly, anyone who seriously offended must be extremely insecure. Or you're looking for something to complain about.

Anyway, Muffins is......eh. Could be worse, but they really should've just kept it as Derpy. I doubt a bunch of overly-sensitive retards who can't tell the difference between a silly name and an actual insult towards a group of people, and narcissists who exist for the sole purpose of "saving the day" for the sake of further padding their own egos,would've managed to actually harm Hasbro in anyway, so no, it wasn't reasonable for them to have caved in to the demands of those goofs.

And tho I have a feeling they would've likely launched smear campaigns against Hasbro if they didn't change the name, I think it's safe to say that Hasbro is big enough with enough money to have just shrugged it off.

Just me 0.02 shekels.

Edited by Wulfgar Von Heltzer

She was called Derpy in that one episode in like season 1. I don't get why they call her muffins now. They have Howard in big bang theory, let us have our class clown! XD

On some of her merchandise her name is censored by a picture of muffin. On her trading card her name is Derpy but coded by the first letter of each sentence. You can read her name vertacatally.

Not directly saying her name has become an inside joke for the merchandise team.

• 5 years later...

Muffins yay! .... .... ... Doesn't seem to win the audience. Let's try:

Derpy yay! *Brones go all crazy OMG it is Derpy* :orly:

I think even the show's staff said they always called her Derpy from the start.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

I think even the show's staff said they always called her Derpy from the start.

The writers were going to call her Ditzy Doo, having uttered the name without indicating who it was in Winter Wrap Up. Only at the last minute did they call her Derpy in Last Roundup as a nod to the fans, and it blew up in their face because no one thought to check if people on the internet could be mean.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Red Cedar said:

no one thought to check if people on the internet could be mean.

Oh my, that should be the number 1 rule of the internet:

1. Mean people
  2. P*********y
  3. MLP Friendship is Magic (2011-2013)
  4. Twitter
  5. Facebook

Give or take the order of Facebook and Twitter since Twitter came later. :huh:

Personally, I love Derpy being Derpy, especially given she was "born" from an animation error, and has normal eyes in many other early episodes.

But she is accepted and supported by the other ponies of Ponyville, given responsible roles (even if she messes up occasionally) and mostly just treated as another of the ponies.  I think that speaks volumes for the lack of prejudice and abuse found in Ponyville (Diamond Tiara excepted of course) and she was the first heroine of the movie, sacrificing herself to save Twilight.

Derpy should be celebrated as the wonderful mare she is, exactly how she is.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's about time :P

However, Derpy is the name we will all remember her by, even the staff of the show. So yea, Derpy is her name :Pharynx:

• Brohoof 1

I used to have that lip balm, it was so cute and it had a nice flavor. I always considered it to be a Derpy lip balm and not a Muffins one, though. I mean, think about it, does anything about her resemble a muffin?