Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Need help deciding on a 3DS game

Enemy Stand

So, I was going to pick up a 3DS title later, and had a few ideas. I'm choosing between-

Ocarina of Time 3D: I already have this on Virtual Console, but I thought I might want to get this instead of just replaying it.

Mario Kart 7: I'm eager to jump back into Mario Kart, as I haven't played any of its games in a while. I hear that the online is good, so I'd use that. I don't know anyone IRL to play against, so online is a plus.

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team: I enjoyed the last two games in this series, so it seems like a good thing to get.

Pokemon X: This one I wasn't really considering too much, because I already have Y, but if there's any reason to own both I'll certainly consider it.

Star Fox 64 3D: This one I also didn't care too much about getting, but I've never played any Star Fox games, so it might be worth playing.

So, which of these (or another 3DS title) would you guys recommend?

If you like the previous games in the series, then Dream Team is a sure buy. Ocarina of Time 3D looks better than the original N64 version, and not just because of the 3D. They kept the music the same though. A good thing IMO. But it's the same game so not much is different. A Link Between Worlds is a good one too, it's a sequel to A Link to the Past. I've Pokemon Y but I have no intention of getting X. Same game with just a couple new Pokemon? No thanks.

Edited by FMStorm

Star Fox 64 3D

This.

One of the best games of my childhood - I picked it up on an N64 emulator a few weeks ago and it's still as amazing as it ever was. I really cant stress enough how good this game is.

Besides that though... Ocarina of Time is great, but theres no point getting it twice. Same goes for Pokemon - they're the same game at the end of the day - no sense wasting money on a second copy.

Mario Kart I wouldn't bother with: sure it's probably great - Mario Kart always is - but I cant see it being differant enough to all the other Mario Kart games to make it worthwhile.

Well if you already have OoT in some form and one of the Pokémons already(the only beneficial thing I can think of that having both can help with is getting exclusive Mega stones easier, anything else can be rectified with GTS and whatnot), then I would suggest getting Zelda: A Link Between Worlds if you don't have it already, one of the best Zelda games ever, it'd be a crime to have a 3DS and miss it. If you do have it, then, Mario & Luigi should be good(I've only played the demo myself, it's pretty fun but it does have some gimmicky controls), or Star Fox if you can find it for a cheap orice.

I would get Mario and Luigi Dream Team first because it's an awesome game and a great new experience. I would get the other games you mentioned later especially the 3D remakes like OOT and SF64 because their older games.

If you've never played starfox 64 before, I'd go with it. It's a really fun space shooter that's incredibly quotable.

I haven't played dream team, but I've played enough of the Mario RPG series to know how the formula will work. Plus I haven't enjoyed that series since superstar saga...

Mario Kart is a really fun 3DS game too, but they're going to be releasing Mario Kart 8 soon on the Wii U. I don't know how much the online community will be affected by that. Either way though, still probably worth the purchase.

I have every game listed except Starfox. 

OOT: It is a great game, but if you have played it so many times across every console it came out on (like me) then no unless you want to try the flipped world Master Quest for a challenge.

Mario Kart 7: Cool addition to the 3DS, but probably would have been cooler if they added the missions like from Mario Kart DS

Mario and Luigi: Got the game when it came out, but never beat it yet, but that's only because I stopped playing my 3DS for a month and then Pokemon came out. If you like the previous two (only played the GBA and Bowser's inside story) then you might like this one.

Pokemon X: If you have two 3DS', you can trade with yourself but that's pretty much it for having two versions(brother got Black/White 2 and didn't beat them both yet)

Starfox: Never played the game, but of the gameplay I saw of it, it looks pretty cool

So those are just my thoughts on the games.

Ocarina of Time 3D: I already have this on Virtual Console, but I thought I might want to get this instead of just replaying it

It actually feels a lot more polished compared to the original, though I'd only recommend it if it's cheap($20 is my breaking point)

Mario Kart 7: I'm eager to jump back into Mario Kart, as I haven't played any of its games in a while. I hear that the online is good, so I'd use that. I don't know anyone IRL to play against, so online is a plus.

While I've heard good things about it, I also hear people say it's one the weakest in the series. It's your call

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team: I enjoyed the last two games in this series, so it seems like a good thing to get.

I've heard a lot of good things about this one, if your a fan, then I'd really recommnend

Pokemon X: This one I wasn't really considering too much, because I already have Y, but if there's any reason to own both I'll certainly consider it.

If you already have Y, then there's really no point of getting X

Star Fox 64 3D: This one I also didn't care too much about getting, but I've never played any Star Fox games, so it might be worth playing.

Unlike OoC3D, there's no difference between the original game and the 3D remake other than nicer graphics. If you have a Wii your better off getting the original on the Virtual console(it's much cheaper, $10 vs $30-40 on the 3DS), and even if you don't have a Wii I'd still wait for a price drop before I consider buying it

imo, go for Mario and Luigi

Edited by Megas75

I have played a LOT of games on my 3DS. I can suggest a few of my favorites! Some of them aren't on your list. (with some of my opinions of each)

OoT 3D - A legendary game that is remade for the 3DS. It shows nice visuals, and for those who did not play the game yet, it is a really good game to keep around when you are on the go.

Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies - Only if you are really into this series, I'd suggest it. I just finished the game hours ago and just bought the DLC. It's a really good game with a story! However, it is mostly story-driven rather than gameplay. But putting it at a price of $29.99 on the eShop (not including tax), it's a good deal!

Super Mario 3D Land - Super Mario Galaxy? Yes, please. It's a solid game that is bound to keep you on for hours. I finished the game rather quickly because I got addicted to it. :P

Project X Zone - Not many people know about this game. I personally love it. It's a strategy game not like Fire Emblem at all. I am not quite sure how to explain the gameplay, but it is refreshing! If you played Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier on the DS, it is almost similar in terms of gameplay. Also, the nostalgia and the crossovers in this game is epic!

Mario Kart 7 - The usual Mario Kart action with sky gliders and stuff. Also, the 7 power-up is pretty awesome! If you love the Mario Kart series (like me), I suggest you buy it.

Pokemon X and Y - I have both versions. I have Y and my sister has X. (since Pokemon only has 1 profile available) It's the usual Pokemon stuff. I don't recommend you buying X when you already have Y. It's somewhat impractical.

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team - It focuses a lot on Mario this time for gameplay. You won't really be playing as Luigi as much in this one. But, the new mechanics in the game make it refreshing and fun to play! I absolutely love this game. I haven't found the time to finish it yet though.

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - It looks dirt ugly at first glance. When you play it, however, it is awesome! If you like the old kind of Zelda games, which has views from the top, you'll like this as well.

Fire Emblem: Awakening - A great strategy game. For me, it seems somewhat easier than other Fire Emblem games. I turned on my permadeath, so there will be more challenge! If you like previous Fire Emblem games, this one will not disappoint.

Kid Icarus: Uprising - It looks REALLY complex to play at first because of how you should move your stylus, Pit, and your reticle at the same time. I think you can get used to it rather quickly. I did. It only took me... 1 hour? Not a long time at all! It's a game that is very fun. It definitely will add more variety to anyone's 3DS library! I think this is my 2nd most played game on my 3DS. I just love it!

I'm sorry. I never played Star Fox 64 3D. I wouldn't know about it. D: So sorry.

Anyway, these are my opinions on some of my favorite games! I know I missed a few out there still, but these are some of the noteworthy ones. 

tl;dr - Just skip to those that you need to look at. :P 

Well There are some games I can recommend

Pokemon X/Y - Well I would strongly recommend this game, but I know that pokemon Bank has been delayed for network outage reason. A Lot of people are playing the game as of now

Pokemon Rumble Blast - The Difficulty increases as you progress and increase the world rank if you're really interested in playing the game.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - The Game is ok if you want to play the game or have played the previous pokemon mystery dungeon games. There's no Personality Quiz, but You'll be using moves more often instead of using normal attack since it has a fixed damage of 5.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - This game is ok to play if you're really interested in playing with your friends and building your own town.

Zero Escape is probably the best puzzle game I've ever played, so I would wholeheartedly recommend that if you are ok with what basically amounts to a Visual Novel with some added puzzle solving... The only other thing I can think of is Fire Emblem: Awakening... That game is in my top five for strategy games (Number 3 behind GalCiv2 and XCOM)