Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does ponification bother people?

ZomBrony

Because a lot of non-bronies don't like seeing ponies in everything, and then they denounce bronies. 

Sort of like the guy DrWolf is talking too here. He talks in a respectful manner, and doesn't hate bronies, but seems to only be an anti-brony because of some bronies ponifying everything. Kind of trivial, and he also acts a little hypocritical. I'm pretty sure he's never seen the show, either.

Because people oft prefer to "hate," denounce, and criticize rather than focus on the things they enjoy.  And if the things they enjoy get some poneh on it, those things have somehow been permanently, irreversibly ruined for them.  Or...  At least for however long it takes them to post a poorly-worded rant about it.  Possibly on the page of an artist who's churning out pony fan art, as of late.  Because why just move on with your life and focus on the things that bring a smile to your face when you can adopt a scowl instead and anonymously attack a more-than-likely complete stranger for expressing themselves in a way that doesn't appeal to you???

• Brohoof 3

What kind of ponifications are 'bad'? What makes them bad?

What kind of ponifications are bad, you ask? Well, the answer to that is quite simple; It is purely a matter of perspective.

Take me as an example. I dislike poorly made ponifications and ponifications that just doesn't fit the character they ponify. I've seen a few ponifications of Cell and most of them were failures.

• Brohoof 1

You know how some bronies flip out when they see ponies being mercilessly slaughtered, or in extremely perverted sexual situations, or other such things?

Exactly the same reason. People don't like it when things they do like are combined with things they don't like. Simple as that.

• Brohoof 1

You know how some bronies flip out when they see ponies being mercilessly slaughtered, or in extremely perverted sexual situations, or other such things?

Exactly the same reason. People don't like it when things they do like are combined with things they don't like. Simple as that.

I totally agree with this.

On the other hand they love it when it's combined with things they like.

(edited)

This form of parody doesn't really have anything to do with any particular media it parodies so I do think that peopleshouldn't let themselves be bothered by it. All it amounts to is an alternate vision of a character that doesn't affect what they looked like before. In the end, people can ignore it really easily. Their problem is the method of parody itself or the "ponification" as it is called. It must come from a dislike of the inspiration behind it or perhaps a vague feeling that their chosen media should never be infected by parody at all.

There is no point in butchering the English language now, is there?

People in general do far worse damage to the English language than bronies could ever do.

Edited by Silver Letter
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Maybe, but there is something called proportionality, even as someone who enjoys that sort of thing I can understand why somebody would be angry or upset at running into clop or gore when they weren't looking for it (google safe search just isn't as good as it should be unfortunetely) even I have long criticized the scapegoating in the fandom but I am a bit less sympathetic when someone unexpectedly runs into one of their favorites franchises ponified. There are all sorts of things that aren't to my personal taste and even things I flat out dislike or even hate but I don't flip out about it because I recognize that while I may have a right to not like something that people who do like things I dislike have just as much of a right to like that stuff as I dislike it.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

Doesn't bother me, in fact, I enjoy ponifying the characters in TV shows, video games etc.

I like deciding what colour and race they would be and stuff, it's just good harmless fun. If people don't like it though I can understand. It's plastered nearly everywhere these days.

Maybe, but there is something called proportionality, even as someone who enjoys that sort of thing I can understand why somebody would be angry or upset at running into clop or gore when they weren't looking for it (google safe search just isn't as good as it should be unfortunetely) even I have long criticized the scapegoating in the fandom but I am a bit less sympathetic when someone unexpectedly runs into one of their favorites franchises ponified. There are all sorts of things that aren't to my personal taste and even things I flat out dislike or even hate but I don't flip out about it because I recognize that while I may have a right to not like something that people who do like things I dislike have just as much of a right to like that stuff as I dislike it.

You have to see it from the perspective of others.

For example, I really dislike Spongebob. It wasn't funny when I was little, its not funny now. Yet people act like its the greatest show ever made. It bugs when I see spongebob pictures/quotes/references all over the internet. Ponies are way more prolific. You can't go to a Firefly forum and easily find spongebob versions of the crew, but you can damn well find plenty of pony versions. I can totally see how this would bug people.

Now, I'm not outspoken about it. I don't complain every time I see a spongebob pic, I just sigh and move on. If I couldn't click 5 links here without finding spongebob, I'd probably say something about it.

People need to understand that just because something you do doesn't hurt anyone doesn't mean it can't be annoying as hell. And even if its not, nobody is obligated to accept it.

In short: Because butthurt

xDD I like that explanation~

I've always had people try and make fun of my custom ponies over years and say mean things about them just because they're ponies. 

Because... ponies... what. I'll use whatever canvas I want for my art, it's my choice~

• Brohoof 1

You have to see it from the perspective of others.

I am trying but somehow I just don't give a damn in this case and don't see why I should. I could maybe understand the whole mild annoyance and moving on but obsessing over it and bashing people for it is something didn't earn any sympathy from me before I got into ponies and sure as hell isn't after I got into ponies.

(edited)

I am trying but somehow I just don't give a damn in this case and don't see why I should. I could maybe understand the whole mild annoyance and moving on but obsessing over it and bashing people for it is something didn't earn any sympathy from me before I got into ponies and sure as hell isn't after I got into ponies.

Oh, don't get me wrong, you don't need to show sympathy. I have very little sympathy for anybody who whines about stuff like that, and I would indeed be a hypocrite if I started doing so.

I was just pointing out that it's not all black and white, nor are the various shades of grey even the same from person to person. One can understand others views without accepting them as reasonable :P

Edited by Evilshy

Why do you think it does?

I asked this question for a while. Then I realised.

It's all based on the person. This sounds obvious, but if the person has been brought up to stick to more traditional and set ideologies, then something that is changed or re-created becomes strange to them. People don't like change. Hell, neither do I!

• Brohoof 1

It is so beyond me, I was thinking about making this thread before you went ahead and did it first!

Before I was a brony, I literally saw 0 ponified things. At all. Ever. I feel like you have to specifically search them out, you don't just come upon them...

• 2 weeks later...

Think it's just a matter of opinion, maybe, well...in my opinion, lack of imagination?

For me, creating my ponysona has opened a wide varity of artwork for me to do, stories and even vid media. Sure she is a part of my personality, but so are all my art pieces. If people can't understand that, well then they just don't understand my artistic ability or state of mind.

'Lack of imgination'. (I may have quoted this before, sorry. But it's been a while since I checked. I think this is my favourite response yet and I strongly agree with it.

• Brohoof 2

I think that, from the perspective of somebody who doesn't like MLP, ponifying a character that they like could be seen as forcing MLP on them. Combine that with how prolific ponies are, and you get people who otherwise wouldn't care about ponies a bit upset, because it's seen as "crossing into their territory". Now, I'm not saying that this is a good and logical thing to think, but there it is.

In my own personal experience, I thought it was sort of irritating before I was into MLP. I think it was because there are very little places you can go without seeing ponies. See something enough (that you arn't attached to), and you'll get sick of it.

• Brohoof 1

Ponifying something I think, means that the Bronies are insulting them, any way or another. The ponified person or character has a special value to them for the people that cared about them. 

That's what I think.

• Brohoof 1

Cuz it gets annoying sometimes. I mean I'm a brony and yet I get annoyed with all the pony art. I mean we left nothing unponified. Yeah I do appreciate all the art and a lot of it is good but keep it on the right sites so we can kill that reason anti bronies constantly give us.

• Brohoof 3

I think that, from the perspective of somebody who doesn't like MLP, ponifying a character that they like could be seen as forcing MLP on them. Combine that with how prolific ponies are, and you get people who otherwise wouldn't care about ponies a bit upset, because it's seen as "crossing into their territory". Now, I'm not saying that this is a good and logical thing to think, but there it is.

In my own personal experience, I thought it was sort of irritating before I was into MLP. I think it was because there are very little places you can go without seeing ponies. See something enough (that you arn't attached to), and you'll get sick of it.

This is another good point. More mature than my beliefs, I must say.

well it shouldn't people should get over the fact bronies exist we aren't harming nothing not to mention some bronies are fans of other things as well so they want to combine them so why it hurts them? that's a great question maybe this propaganda can explain a bit

post-27623-0-00506700-1406263021.jpg