Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Friendship is Magic: Going through Cerebrus Syndrome?

TheMisterManGuy

One thing I noticed about Season 4 of Friendship is Magic is that most of the plots were more.... Intense than previous seasons. Whether it be throwing the mane 6 into a comic book, sending them on a quest with Daring Do, turning Fluttershy into a bat, or Having Twilight beat the crap out of Tirek. This Season (and Season 3 to an extent) has definitely ramped up the fantasy/adventure aspect much more than before. They also introduced a season long story arc for the first time. With all of this in mind, could the show be preparing to take a darker, more complex turn? 

Now just because a show is going through cerebrus syndrome, doesn't mean it has to give up what made it special. Adventure Time got darker and more sophisticated, and more serious as the show went on, but it still has the child-like surrealism that made it so great to begin with. I'm not asking FiM to forgo morals, slice of life, or fun. But it will be interesting to see how they handle a tone shift.

(edited)

One thing I noticed about Season 4 of Friendship is Magic is that most of the plots were more.... Intense than previous seasons. Whether it be throwing the mane 6 into a comic book, sending them on a quest with Daring Do, turning Fluttershy into a bat, or Having Twilight beat the crap out of Tirek. This Season (and Season 3 to an extent) has definitely ramped up the fantasy/adventure aspect much more than before. They also introduced a season long story arc for the first time. With all of this in mind, could the show be preparing to take a darker, more complex turn? 

Now just because a show is going through cerebrus syndrome, doesn't mean it has to give up what made it special. Adventure Time got darker and more sophisticated, and more serious as the show went on, but it still has the child-like surrealism that made it so great to begin with. I'm not asking FiM to forgo morals, slice of life, or fun. But it will be interesting to see how they handle a tone shift.

Sometimes you have to remember who this show is actually for. Hasbro is making a shit-ton of money off toys, they aren't ever going to let MLP get more intense then what a little girl would watch, or maybe a few little boys. DHX will always admires us bronies, by throwing in easter eggs, innuendos, and coming to our cons, but changing the entire tone of the show is too much. My Little Pony will always stick with the younger audiance, and younger audiences like a bright and happy tone

Edited by Delta
  • Brohoof 1

I won't have a total shift in tone, but the tone will become more adventurous and the scale will certainly be larger. A total tonal shift would be to risky for a pink isle company like hasbro, but they do own transformers, so they aren't 100% afraid of adventure and conflict. It won't become a transformers like series, with micheal bay movies and characters dieing en mass, but it will be more involved with conflict than strawberry shortcake. I see FiM taking a middle ground in childrens media. It won't be the wimpified pink isle show were missing cupcakes are the end of the world, but it won't go full power rangers were they are all doing tripple back flips and firing machine guns.

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes you have to remember who this show is actually for. Hasbro is making a shit-ton of money off toys, they aren't ever going to let MLP get more intense then what a little girl would watch, or maybe a few little boys. DHX will always admires us bronies, by throwing in easter eggs, innuendos, and coming to our cons, but changing the entire tone of the show is too much. My Little Pony will always stick with the younger audiance, and younger audiences like a bright and happy tone

I understand its a kids show. But I don't think that's an excuse to not tackle more complex themes. And like I said, the show can still keep its lighthearted slice-of-life episodes, songs, lessons, and comic relief WHILE taking a more mature tone simultaneously. Adventure Time does it all the time. 

I understand its a kids show. But I don't think that's an excuse to not tackle more complex themes. And like I said, the show can still keep its lighthearted slice-of-life episodes, songs, lessons, and comic relief WHILE taking a more mature tone simultaneously. Adventure Time does it all the time. 

But... Adventure Time is kinda supported and made for a older fanbase. I've never seen a little kid running around with Adventure TIme toys, however I've seen hundreds running around with My Little Pony merchandise. Just look at the name, and it's past generations. If they made MLP a story like Adventure Time, where it's a post nuclear future, kids wouldn't like it as much. Hasbro wants to sell as many 'Applejack Trucks', or any MLP toy, as they can, they aren't going to risk that with more complex themes. Little girls want to see rainbows, cute ponies, and girly girl stuff.

• Brohoof 1

I won't have a total shift in tone, but the tone will become more adventurous and the scale will certainly be larger. A total tonal shift would be to risky for a pink isle company like hasbro, but they do own transformers, so they aren't 100% afraid of adventure and conflict. It won't become a transformers like series, with micheal bay movies and characters dieing en mass, but it will be more involved with conflict than strawberry shortcake. I see FiM taking a middle ground in childrens media. It won't be the wimpified pink isle show were missing cupcakes are the end of the world, but it won't go full power rangers were they are all doing tripple back flips and firing machine guns.

This is exactly what I want. I want FiM to focus more on its Drama and Adventure IN ADDITION to its comedy and slice-of-life. I'm not asking for 100% serious and dark, but I don't want sugar coated nonsense either. If Adventure Time can balance silly and serious with its cerebrus syndrome, so can MLP.

But... Adventure Time is kinda supported and made for a older fanbase. I've never seen a little kid running around with Adventure TIme toys, however I've seen hundreds running around with My Little Pony merchandise. Just look at the name, and it's past generations. If they made MLP a story like Adventure Time, where it's a post nuclear future, kids wouldn't like it as much. Hasbro wants to sell as many 'Applejack Trucks', or any MLP toy, as they can, they aren't going to risk that with more complex themes. Little girls want to see rainbows, cute ponies, and girly girl stuff.

While Adventure Time targets a slightly broader audience compared to FiM (2-14 year olds, compared to 2-11 year olds FiM targets), Its still a kids show. Look at most of the commercials during it, its mostly toys, candy, happy meals, Dreamworks movies, cereal, or CN itself. It even had a Happy Meal tie in. Also, I don't want FiM to give up its colorful, light-hearted aspects, but I don't want it to be the only thing. I feel it should have an equal mix of both. The show has the potential to rival, and possibily outdo Adventure Time in complexity and world building, and Hasbro can STILL sell toys. Little girls like darker moments, Action, and Adventure too you know.

• Brohoof 1

This is exactly what I want. I want FiM to focus more on its Drama and Adventure IN ADDITION to its comedy and slice-of-life. I'm not asking for 100% serious and dark, but I don't want sugar coated nonsense either. If Adventure Time can balance silly and serious with its cerebrus syndrome, so can MLP.

While Adventure Time targets a slightly broader audience compared to FiM (2-14 year olds, compared to 2-11 year olds FiM targets), Its still a kids show. Look at most of the commercials during it, its mostly toys, candy, happy meals, Dreamworks movies, cereal, or CN itself. It even had a Happy Meal tie in. Also, I don't want FiM to give up its colorful, light-hearted aspects, but I don't want it to be the only thing. I feel it should have an equal mix of both. The show has the potential to rival, and possibily outdo Adventure Time in complexity and world building, and Hasbro can STILL sell toys. Little girls like darker moments, Action, and Adventure too you know.

Adventure Time doesn't have Hasbro behind it, who focus mostly on selling toys to 6-8 year olds. That's why MLP was created in the first place.

(edited)

Adventure Time doesn't have Hasbro behind it, who focus mostly on selling toys to 6-8 year olds. That's why MLP was created in the first place.

True, but AT is still a kids show. And telling more mature stories in addition to light-hearted ones shouldn't stop Hasbro from selling toys. They can still sell the shinny pony toy to 8 year old fan Missy. Besides, The Hub's target audience is 6-11 year olds and their families. Plus, I've seen a few fans with younger daughters who said their girls loved the Tirek vs. Twilight fight. Girls can handle intense fights and complex story telling, This was said by Lauren herself.

Edited by TheMisterManGuy

Well, many great shows went trough that and more often than not, they were EVEN more successful, like Avatar, Beast Wars. I think MLP can pull it off and still sell toys

• Brohoof 1

Friendship is Magic is still technically a "kid's show", but it's incorporating a lot more drama to appeal to the older fans. I think it works well as it prevents it from becoming too dull and repetitive and appeals to everyone.

• Brohoof 1

I think that at most it's still the same show we know and love. They have expanded upon the current base set up by the previous seasons, but it still has the same vibe that we all love and enjoy. Might just be me though.

• Brohoof 1

This is exactly what I want. I want FiM to focus more on its Drama and Adventure IN ADDITION to its comedy and slice-of-life. I'm not asking for 100% serious and dark, but I don't want sugar coated nonsense either.

I agree. I think if they wanted to they could pull off making it enjoyable and watchable for little girls but also being more complex than the average little kid's show at the same time. I mean, it already is more complex than the average kid's show, but I'd love if it continued in that direction and became even more sophisticated and incorporating even more story arcs and mature themes, like what Adventure Time does. 

I'm always constantly amazed at how so many bronies think so poorly of children.

Yes, the standard pap that is spoonfed children sucks. But that's not the *child's* fault, that's the fault of the adult who made the mess with the excuse "well, it's only for kids, and they're too stupid to understand anything good."

In my experience put something complex in front of a child, and not only will they put some effort into understanding it, they will become downright *obsessive* about it because it's so different from the crap they normally see. One of my friends has a 10-year-old daughter who tears apart MLP in ways that put most brony analysts to shame.

You want kids to get their parents to buy your toys? Challenge them!

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

I'm always constantly amazed at how so many bronies think so poorly of children.

Yes, the standard pap that is spoonfed children sucks. But that's not the *child's* fault, that's the fault of the adult who made the mess with the excuse "well, it's only for kids, and they're too stupid to understand anything good."

In my experience put something complex in front of a child, and not only will they put some effort into understanding it, they will become downright *obsessive* about it because it's so different from the crap they normally see. One of my friends has a 10-year-old daughter who tears apart MLP in ways that put most brony analysts to shame.

I totally agree! It's not because "it's a kid show" they have to avoid making more complex stories.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

MLP seems to be a unique case. It actually looks to me like they're zigzagging in and out of Cerebus Syndrome. On one side they've been opening a number of new story arcs, putting in more worldbuilding, and using adventure elements more frequently. However, the classic slice-of-life, episodic writing style that's been the staple of the show since Season 1 seems to still be there in episodes like "Leap of Faith" and "Testing, Testing, 123" among others.

Full-on Cerebus hasn't set in yet, however. Seeing how story arcs are handled in this show (rather problematically, just look at the hype backlash on "Equestria Games" for one quick example), I'd prefer that it doesn't happen.

Though I must say using the word "syndrome" makes it sound like a bad thing, it really isn't. In fact, it's good for some works to change their focus over time or else they would stagnate. It only becomes problematic if a work changes so much that it becomes unrecognizable against its former self, or if it's not executed well. MLP does not seem to be there yet.

• Brohoof 2

Well, while I can see what you mean, I doubt you'll see anything really that complex.

I mean, you have a point. When we have villains as dark, foreboding, and cunning as Sombra and Tirek running amok while the SoL episodes actually looking at complex and mature morals, you know we have reached a switch from the more light-hearted and incompetent villains and cheerful SoL episodes.

However, there will be a line. TBH, I haven't seen the appeal of Adventure Time, so it is unfair of me to compare that show, but one that I can bring up in some limited fashion would be "Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go." As the how went on, we met some darker character and main characters matured with time, and some of the themes explored were somewhat dark as well, however the show never really crossed the line of...say, Battlestar Galactica or Game of Thrones dark & heavy.

I would love to see the show as you say, but there does need to be a line. Hasbro recognizes this, so I doubt we'll see THAT much change. Heck, supposedly AU Sombra and regular Celestia were supposedly supposed to kiss in the comic, but Hasbro said no (according to one forum-goer), so yeah. I wouldn't expect much.

• Brohoof 2

Well, while I can see what you mean, I doubt you'll see anything really that complex.

I mean, you have a point. When we have villains as dark, foreboding, and cunning as Sombra and Tirek running amok while the SoL episodes actually looking at complex and mature morals, you know we have reached a switch from the more light-hearted and incompetent villains and cheerful SoL episodes.

However, there will be a line. TBH, I haven't seen the appeal of Adventure Time, so it is unfair of me to compare that show, but one that I can bring up in some limited fashion would be "Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go." As the how went on, we met some darker character and main characters matured with time, and some of the themes explored were somewhat dark as well, however the show never really crossed the line of...say, Battlestar Galactica or Game of Thrones dark & heavy.

I would love to see the show as you say, but there does need to be a line. Hasbro recognizes this, so I doubt we'll see THAT much change. Heck, supposedly AU Sombra and regular Celestia were supposedly supposed to kiss in the comic, but Hasbro said no (according to one forum-goer), so yeah. I wouldn't expect much.

Yes, MLP is still a kids show, so there needs to be some boundaries put in place. But, If higher fantasy, more adventure, mature stories, and Heavier morals are the direction the show is going to take, then I'm all for it.

Theres definetly been a minor shift in tone, but thats something that I see in a lot of shows- as time progresses the writers are more willing to explore characters and the universe they live in.

• 5 weeks later...

I think I have a definitive answer that no, it is not going through Cerberus Syndrome. Instead, I believe it's a similar but different trope, called the Cerberus Rollercoaster, in which one episode may be dark, but then the next may be light and upbeat or vice versa.

Edited by ggg-2

The series has progressed in an interesting direction. Whether awareness of the Brony side of the fanbase had anything to do with it is anyone's guess, but I think what we're seeing is just one phase of many to come. Each season has its own tone to it. If the SDCC preview is any indication, my guess is that the series is heading into a more involved plot, but with even more comedy than usual mixed in. Of course, a five minute preview is hardly enough to base a proper prediction off of, but its tone is more comedic than anything. Intros and finales are often where the big plot stuff happens, and if the last season is any indication, it's possible, and even highly likely, that there will be a few more plot moments sprinkled throughout, but it's highly doubtful that there won't be a good number of lighthearted and slice of life style episodes that have their own self-contained story arcs, and even in the case of the special keys last season, the majority of those episodes were still self-contained. If nothing else, the show has proven that plot points don't have to overshadow everything else, or even necessarily be in the foreground.

• 2 weeks later...

With all of this in mind, could the show be preparing to take a darker, more complex turn? 

This is something I had wanted since the show aired on 2010. Lauren Faust changed nothing on it since the previous gens, and I expected a dark and mature version, just like G1 and G2 were. But nope, G3 all over again but with less complex animation.

After the surprising episode Twilight's Kingdom with the return of Tirek, maybe this show will finally take itself completely seriously. And finally become a show proper to the 2000s, and not a typical cartoon that could appear on the 40s or 50s.