Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Electrical shocks.

SkyDream

I'm not talking static shocks. I'm talking OhMyzZzGodTherzZzeIs AnElectrizZzcCurrent RunnzZzingThrougzZzhMe SEND_HzZzELP_

or something to that effect, at least. Don't give us a wussy static electricity shocks from a carpet that we all get every day. That doesn't warrant a topic for conversation.

I was changing scores of lightbulbs in my store today in lieu of my actual role, which had been an otherwise extremely slow day. It was hot and muggy, and I do not tolerate heat in the slightest, and a fine layer of sweat had built up around my hands, or so it goes in my memory. I think one of my fingers had slipped a little bit too close to the socket, and may have gone in, or made some sort of connection to the metal base when it did as well, and I definitely felt a rather intense pain in my finger, right where the flesh met the connection.

It felt like an extremely concentrated heat, with no build-up or spreading. It was all isolated to that one spot. It also felt like I couldn't pull away that easily, sort of like my finger had become a magnet and was attracted to the socket. It lasted for only about three fourths of a second, perhaps two thirds, but it was definitely an eye-opening experience, at least relative to other varieties of pain that exist.

I can only imagine what anyone else who has gotten shocked even worse has been through. My hat is metaphorically off to those fine folks, it is.

I used to grab onto an electrical fence for fun when I was eight. I lived in the country and it was boring as balls there. When I found this and it shocked me, a smile grew on my face as I grabbed onto it and let the current flow through my hands( and head, electrical wires, and my own ass) with a dumb smile on my face. It was the best spring ever.

My brother is a certified electrician, and he assures me more than an eighth of the time he spent studying was dedicatedly about safety.

Apparently the safe way to engage any switch is to stand off to one side of it, facing away with your back to the wall of where the switch is attached, and then use your arm to engage or disengage the switch. This way if there is a violent short, the explosion will do you less harm than if you were standing in front of it and facing it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My brother is a certified electrician, and he assures me more than an eighth of the time he spent studying was dedicatedly about safety.

Apparently the safe way to engage any switch is to stand off to one side of it, facing away with your back to the wall of where the switch is attached, and then use your arm to engage or disengage the switch. This way if there is a violent short, the explosion will do you less harm than if you were standing in front of it and facing it.

And then there's the large appliance repair guy in my area. He licks his thumbs and touches them to the terminals to make sure the power is off... Yeah no one will employ him. I can't imagine why >_>

Or the now infamous yahoo that decided that his multimeter didn't shock him enough, so he pierced his skin thinking he'd get a better current. Now there's a safety lecture on why that is a bad idea.

Electricity isn't too dangerous. So long as you pay attention and respect it's power. I've been shocked a few times. One in particular: Someone cut off an extension cord while it was plugged into the wall, I went to remove it without gloves... *zzzt!*

I used to grab onto an electrical fence for fun when I was eight. I lived in the country and it was boring as balls there. When I found this and it shocked me, a smile grew on my face as I grabbed onto it and let the current flow through my hands( and head, electrical wires, and my own ass) with a dumb smile on my face. It was the best spring ever.

This reminds me of my friend's dog. She LOVED sitting on the electric fence.

One time I was shocked by static electricity :P That was actually the worst I've ever been hurt by electricity. Ended up with a second degree burn.

Edited by IceeBrony

(edited)

That doesn't seem like a very effective electric fence. 

You'd think so... but no. You could watch her from the house and SEE the neck muscles convulsing. >_>

She was not the brightest bulb in the box, though with all that current running through her, she should have been :P

EDIT: "effective"... oops lol

It worked... she didn't cross OVER it, she just sat ON it.

Edited by IceeBrony

I was electrocuted 2 times in my life. One time when i was 4 i got too curious and touched a shallow socket. I don't remember it too well.

The other time was when i was 9. I touched a cut cable which was still plugged into the socket, and got a horrible pain shot through me as the electricity made the flesh on my thumb fuse. I still have a thin, faded scar on my thumb to this day.

A few years ago we recently got a gas stove,and In my stupidity playing with the igniter,I end up shocking myself and I felt like crap for a couple minutes after.

i got electrocutted many times in my life, especially due to my job back there (i was a manintance worker on the power tranformers of a wine factory)

i got struck many times but without any damages, only my lfet hand shakes a bit, the worst struck was when a 10.000 thre phase step down transformer failed due to an insulating oil leak, i was saved by the working insulating suit off course and i have been not struck directely, but man that was fucking scary

I've been zapped through the hand a few times dealing with light sockets. I remember being shocked when I was playing with some weird night light when I was like 3.

I guess that's when I first learned about electricity, lol.

I used to have a loft bed and slept on the bottom bunk. There was a shelf with a book light next to me, and one time when I woke up in the middle of the night, there was no bulb in it. I decided to stick my finger in it and received a shock.

I've also touched electric fences for fun, receiving only a small jolt. Probably wasn't a good idea, as my little sister grabbed onto it and my parents had to pull her off.

This might be a little too much information, but when I was around the age of 9, I was at an auction that had an electric fence in the vicinity. I promptly pissed on it, and I remember feeling an electric shock in my toe. It could have been my imagination, though.

Finally, I've been on the end of a few pranks involving "shocking" gag items.

I am now deathly afraid of electric shocks.

Heh, the most I've ever been literally shocked was in physics when we did that "human wire" experiment :lol:. I like getting shocked a lot... In a safe way of course!

If you work around electricity long enough, your going to get shocked.  Usually it either kills you or annoys you, so the good news is if your not dead then your fine.

What an appropriate avatar for this comment:

KA0WXTp.png

The worst shock I've ever received was in my physics class when my teacher had the whole class circle up with two people at opposite ends touching the two terminals of a Wimshurst generator.  When the two kids in the middle touched hands completing the circle it definitely got my attention.  

Twice, both happened with sockets.

Once I was plugging in the power cord to my GameCube and the socket zapped me and sent me flying back.

Then another time I was plugging in a ds charger and I'm not sure what happened but it electrocuted me.

But this one time my dad was messing with one of the sockets cause there was something wrong with it and winded up getting zapped. Needless to say he yelled at me afterwards since I laughed at him and didnt do anything to help him.

Twice, both happened with sockets.

Once I was plugging in the power cord to my GameCube and the socket zapped me and sent me flying back.

Then another time I was plugging in a ds charger and I'm not sure what happened but it electrocuted me.

But this one time my dad was messing with one of the sockets cause there was something wrong with it and winded up getting zapped. Needless to say he yelled at me afterwards since I laughed at him and didnt do anything to help him.

Maybe Nintendo products don't like you? Has your Wii tried to bite you?  :lol:

I grabbed jumper cables twice within two minutes, It shocked me the first time, and I thought, 'will it do that again?' it turns out yes.

I know that feeling :)

post-28159-0-57177500-1406000157_thumb.png

(gotta love xkcd)

• Brohoof 1