Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most mean-spirited moments in the show?

TheJLeeTeam

(edited)

What do you find to be the most mean spirited moment in the show?

For me it's at the end of Canterlot Wedding part 1 where Shining Armor tells Twilight off for accusing false Cadance. I felt like it was very harsh when he said Twilight shouldn't attend the wedding at all. Not only does he abandon Twilight, but even her friends, and mentor Celestia abandons her. Considering Celestia is Twilight's teacher I thought Celestia would at least give Twilight some advice, or words of wisdom instead of just leaving her all alone. I found that scene so cruel that I took it personally and it made me cringe. It was just unpleasant to watch, and if that scene wasn't there I might like the episode more. Also later the fake Cadance appears right in front of Twilight right after she ran out of the room which really confused me. Overall I found that the scene where Twilight's sibling, friends, and mentor abandon her to be too mean-spirited for my tastes. When I first saw this episode last month, it was my favorite 2 parter, now it's not anymore mostly because of this scene, and it's not as epic as the other 2 parters. I tend to avoid this episode just due of this particular scene because it really darkens the mood for me.

img-2915880-1-640px-Shining_Armor_cuts_o

Edited by TheJLeeTeam
  • Brohoof 12

I know at least one moment even more mean-spirited: in Putting Your Hoof Down.

After Fluttershy tosses a tourist like a hammer throw, Pinkie and Rarity confront her and tell her to ease off and want the Fluttershy they knew back…only for Fluttershy to call their reasons to live meaningless. It was easily the cruelest thing she's ever said and one if the cruelest insults ANYONE alive would ever say. It's even WORSE when you have to consider how close the trio are with each other, which makes you consider whether she either harbored those feelings al this time or felt so insulted by Pinkie and Rarity's warning that she wanted to hurt them where it hurt the most.

• Brohoof 17

I actually do not like that scene much for those reasons. Everypony else being angry and blah blah, sure, but Celestia just saying that and leaving? Seems a little uncalled for on her part.

Other than that, not sure if this is 'mean spirited' or not, but in Pinkie Pride, after Cheese arrives and all of the ponies just completely disregard Pinkie's work. I really thought that was way past not cool. Made me feel really bad for Pinkie Pie.

• Brohoof 7

What do you find to be the most mean spirited moment in the show?

For me it's at the end of Canterlot Wedding part 1 where Shining Armor tells Twilight off for accusing false Cadance. I felt like it was very harsh when he said Twilight shouldn't attend the wedding at all. Not only does he abandon Twilight, but even her friends, and mentor Celestia abandons her. Considering Celestia is Twilight's teacher I thought Celestia would at least give Twilight some advice, or words of wisdom instead of just leaving her all alone. I found that scene so cruel that I took it personally and it made me cringe. It was just unpleasant to watch, and if that scene wasn't there I might like the episode more. Also later the fake Cadance appears right in front of Twilight right after she ran out of the room which really confused me. Overall I found that the scene where Twilight's sibling, friends, and mentor abandon her to be too mean-spirited for my tastes. When I first saw this episode last month, it was my favorite 2 parter, now it's my least favorite 2 parter mostly because of this scene, and it's not as epic as the other 2 parters. I tend to avoid this episode just due of this particular scene because it really darkens the mood for me.

img-2915880-1-640px-Shining_Armor_cuts_o

Yes...I'd have to go with that one too...my heart ached for Twilight...it was all a misunderstanding. And the fact that Celestia just dumped that crap on Twilight just like that got me furious. I'm like "You're her bucking teacher! Give her some advice for pete's sake..."

(edited)

The scene that always makes my heart sink is during "Trade Ya!" when Rainbow Dash is totally fine with making Fluttershy go train an orthros and live in Manehattan for months... just so she can get a Daring Do book. I know that she eventually realizes that she made a mistake, but it is just incomprehensibly rude that she would ever think that it's okay to take advantage of a friend like that! It always makes me so sad, that even for a few minutes, Rainbow can be so blinded by greed that she is like "lol byyyyye Fluttershy have fun living with a complete stranger while I get to go home with everything I want!!!!!1111"

The ending of the episode was super sweet between Rainbow and Flutters, so that's good... but the part where Rainbow is happily holding her book while Fluttershy looks so uncomfortable and sad always makes me want to give Rainbow the loudest, angriest reprimand she's ever heard in her life.

Edited by Jennabun
  • Brohoof 1

"Mean spirited"... That thought actually occurs a lot when I'm watching Friendship is Magic, a majority of the time the ponies are actually acting very bratty to each other and just plain rude at times.

Anyways, if I had to choose the most mean spirited moment, I'd have to choose Bullyshy from "Putting Your Hoof Down" and Sweetie Belle's tantrum from "For Whom Sweetie Belle Tolls". (Sorry, I couldn't choose between them!) Bullyshy was incredibly mean, she took it to a whole new level! Not only did she rudely insult two of her closest friends, she insulted a seemingly nice stranger (mail pony)! Sweetie Belle also took it to a whole new level, she was insanely bratty the whole time and she was mocking Rarity, insulting Rarity, and being totally self centered; I didn't expect her tantrum to be that ridiculous.

(edited)

That scene in Canterlot Wedding is probably the one I'd mention first. I actually saw that coming when Twilight was... being her usual self. I've made those same mistakes before, and I've been in that same situation where I do something wrong and then everyone--even people I look up to--scolds me and leaves like that.

Needless to say, I felt really bad for Twilight. But it's scenes like that that make me like the show even more. It made that episode very relatable, and added depth to Twi's character. It's actually one of my favorite episodes, because of that.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Besides Fluttershy insulting Pinkie and Rarity and pretty much saying their lives are worthless(although this and the gala help create my headcanon that because of her years of being bullied and being treated as a pushover she has anger suppression issues.)

There also is Pinkie making Fluttershy cry which only a part of why it is soo awful is that she made flutters cry the real problem with it was that Pinkie Pie who does her best to be everypony's friend and loves to make them smile hurt one of her close friends in a deep personal level that even if you take out fluttershy and replace it with somepony else it would still be cringe inducing to watch.

Seeing such close friends turn on each other in such nasty and horrific ways are just too hard to stomach and are way out of place in a show called Friendship is Magic.

But to me the third most mean-spirited moment in the show was when the townponies shut out the CMC and flat out treat them like outlaws and get away for treating them that badly and being complete and utter hypocrites through out the episode and learn nothing.

Also if this happened in real life to 3 eight or nine year old girls they would be emotionally crippled seeing all their friends and family and neighbors shut them out and basically say we don't love or care about you go away you rotten pieces of filth we never want to see your ugly mugs ever again, so leave and never come back we will all be a million times happier. This would lead to several psychological issues to develop later on in life such as self isolation and the inability to trust others but themselves and probably more than I can think of right now.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't think this is the worst, but it makes me sad when the bullies are making fun of Rainbow Dash/'Rainbow Crash'. In my mlp coloring book, don't ask, there's a fill in the blank letter thing. Some thing like-

Ra_nb_w Cr_ash

The hint is 'Rainbow's Nickname', the answer is obviously Rainbow Crash... Of course I see this and I'm like, "Erm... that's her nickname from mean bullies. Sooo..."

Hasbro is stupid.

When rarity steals rainbow Dashes spotlight with her wings in season 1 sonic Rainboom

That made me so mad!

And I personally love Rarity, but I wanted to kill her!

Plus, she made herselt look so bad in that episode(not just look-wise)...joke's on Rarity...

Edited by MidnightSnowflake
  • Brohoof 2

I don't think this is the worst, but it makes me sad when the bullies are making fun of Rainbow Dash/'Rainbow Crash'. In my mlp coloring book, don't ask, there's a fill in the blank letter thing. Some thing like-

Ra_nb_w Cr_ash

The hint is 'Rainbow's Nickname', the answer is obviously Rainbow Crash... Of course I see this and I'm like, "Erm... that's her nickname from mean bullies. Sooo..."

Hasbro is stupid.

That made me so mad!

And I personally love Rarity, but I want to kill her!

Plus, she made herselt look so bad in that episode(not just look-wise)...joke's on Rarity...

lol thanks for agreeing also yes, Hasbro are so clever XD

lol thanks for agreeing also yes, Hasbro are so clever XD

( I can't tell if thats sacstic or not so...)

The clever is not from Hasbro, they're from Lauren Faust and the crew.

The 'cleverness' you get from Hasbro is G3(and before...*cringe*) glittering, sparkly 'girls-only' toys and commercials they called shows.

That's just my opinion.

I thought the episode with Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich when Pinkie felt completely left out... that to me was pretty sad. Don't start on me with gilda or diamond tiara though. >.>

oh i wanna hear what you got say about gilda 

A Canterlot Wedding, definitely.  Not because of Shining Armour.  He was mean to Twilight, yes.  But he was under a spell.  It wasn't his fault.  So I actually didn't mind that as much.

No, what rubbed me the wrong way was actually a combination of things (and Joshscorcher pretty much nailed this on the head in his review of the episode). 

First of all, I had an issue with the fact that her friends were willing to turn their backs on her so nonchalantly, especially considering the fact that they've known Cadence for like, a day and they've known Twilight for two years.  They redeem themselves a little bit at the end of the episode when they apologize to her, but this was definitely not the best demonstration of the friendship they had built over the past two years.   

Secondly, when Celestia turned her back on Twilight, that wasn't just an issue I had.  That was borderline offensive.  First of all, Celestia and Luna BOTH knew that the Changelings could be a threat.  So when Twilight freaks out and says that she isn't Cadence, Celestia should have pulled her aside and asked her what she meant, and what she saw Cadence do and what the spell looked like.  Not to mention, she doesn't even APOLOGIZE to Twilight at the end for not believing her, even though SHE KNEW THERE WAS A THREAT TO THE WEDDING THE WHOLE TIME!!!

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 8

I'm gonna be that guy and say The Mysterious Mare Do Well. The horribly botched moral and it's presentation doesn't help

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 2