Am I like the one who needs sunglasses to watch MLP?

I love Jelly Otter

Regardless of how funny it may seem, I felt a strong need for a pair of sunglasses to watch MLP:FIM. Do you put on them too before you could watch the show just fine? Nah, I don't mean it in terms of being a kewl brony with sunglasses... You see (if you can, actually), while the rest is fine or at least so-so, I found the show to be sorta hard on the eyes. It is beautiful, musical, magic, lively & etc, but apparently the color palette is so wisely picked by the creators that when the episode started playing, I literally was like "OUCH! MY EYES!!!"... Thankfully, my sunglasses were near me, so I managed to survive to the end of it just fine, like if I was waiting for the solar eclipse. Actually, I could just lower the color & brightness settings of my monitor, but lol... after 3 years of not changing them I got so used to it, that only a slight change in them would be unbearable, so kicking the settings back & forth every time just to watch MLP enough comfortably isn't an option at all.

Edited by I love Jelly Otter
  • Brohoof 1

Do you have sensitive eyes in general? Like, is this something common or is it just this show that does it? I've never had to wear sunglasses or turn down the brightness for this show. In fact I actually had to turn the brightness up on my TV to watch it comfortably.

I wear sunglasses for the other reason you mentioned: because watching My Little Pony is just that cool.

No but seriously, I think BasementPrincess is onto something here. The show never bothered my eyes at all and in fact the color palette makes it pretty pleasing to watch to me.

• Brohoof 1

You could have sensitive eyes, I tend to watch the show with sunglasses as well since the bright colors are a bit harsh on my eyes. Bright things have always put my "perfect" vision in pain, is it just the show that requires sunglasses or is it almost doing anything that involves brighter colors?

Well, there are plenty of people who do have to use special sunglasses to watch TV or even play games. Some just have sensitive eyes.

I have sensitive eyes myself, but I use prescription reading glasses. I will say this; my headaches drastically decreased when I started wearing them!

I don't think it has something to do with my eyes, they are fine. But this MLP has so harsh colors indeed, especially monotone as it's flash, not traditional animation I'm so used to. I don't know whether the advanced bronies have their eyes used to the show, but I'm sure everyone had the same X.X effect they first saw the show.

(edited)

Well, pushing the settings down & up all the time is not as easy as it may seem just for the sake of comfortably watching the show. Besides, it would be hard to restore the ones I have right now if I change something, because I'm so used to current ones, that I will feel inconvenient if won't guess correct the exact ones I had. So I better keep the sunglasses handy, just in case.

LOL you should really post videos of you watching mlp in those! I BET YOU LOOK AWESOME!

post-15802-0-08364600-1408216038.jpg

Edited by I love Jelly Otter
  • Brohoof 1

Is your brightness all the way up on your computer? you shouldn't need sunglasses to watch the show or any show like this. Either your eyes are sensitive (or there is something else up with them) or there is something wrong with your computer or whatever device. 

It's not.  And it's only with watching MLP... otherwise I wouldn't be watching cartoons at all.

Mind if you take a screenshot of what MLP looks like from your monitor? It might be somebody doing bad color-correction to the footage.

Edited by Stellafera

Why need to show a screenshot from the show you know?  It's like I would go to Youtube, click in any (high quality) MLP episode & I go X.X - that's with this show, compared to anything other, unless all colors are highly compressed there like in MLP.  I have a feeling that creators did it on purpose, because the show was originally aimed for little girls who would like an eye-candy super bright cartoon in some 1080p. I think they actually overdid it there to the point you would either get used to it with time or lower your screen settings or, well, put on the sunglasses.

MLP uses very bright colors, his eyes are probably sensitive with them. I my eyes are sensitive to light, but I use anti-reflex glasses while watching TV, and playing videogames 

• 7 months later...