Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I want to learn a new Language

ThumbTag

I want to learn a new language but I'm not sure which one I should go at, I mostly want to learn one with simple grammer. So you guys tell me what languages you speak and which you you recommend I should learn.

• Brohoof 1

What about spanish? that's such a beautiful language, or maybe Chinese or French, i think those are the most spoken languages after english.

I'm glad you want to learn a new language, it is hard, but fun.

Yeah I heard learning a new language is very fun, :3

I'm learning Chinese, and about half fluent in Spanish, my mothers native tongue, but Chinese has a relatively simple grammar structure compared to most Indo-European or western languages.

I took 3 years of German, it is quite an interesting language, my only complaint was the teachers.

I plan to re-visit German in College as well as take Russian. Perhaps afterwards I will pursue Japanese on my own. 

I took two years of Spanish, and I didn't really like it. It was easy enough, but I just couldn't get into it. I'd much rather learn something like Russian, or Japanese.

In the end, I'd recommend the language that interests you the most. Learning a language generally isn't an easy task, and the extra motivation of wanting to learn it will help. 

Edited by Mikami
  • Brohoof 1

I currently speak french perfectly... And it's the language with the most complex grammar ever. While speaking it correctly is fairly impossible, you will suffer when you are going to study the written grammar.

If you are a masochist, I'd strongly suggest this language. But it's worth it; this language is rich.

My native tongue is Vietnamese. If you are up for a challenge than I can recommend you learn that language. I find it easier to pick up than the other asian languages since it's written using the English alphabet instead of characters like Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.

I'm currently learning Spanish in college right now and I find it to be quite enjoyable. I agree with my fellow members above me who recommended trying out Spanish (it is the language of love after all).

Just remember that the key to learning a new language is to immerse yourself in the culture. Practice speaking it everyday. Try to watch tv and movies in the language. You'll have the language down in no time flat ^_^!

Spanish is a useful language if live in the Southwest like I do and it is also fairly easy to learn. German is also fairly easy and has much more in common with English than people realize. Italian is a great language to learn if you are interested in music as a lot of musical terms are in Italian and is great if you an opera fan as well.

I'm a bit rusty, but I did learn German in school. In addition, I hope to be fairly fluent in Japanese by 2020 or so; it's not written using the Latin alphabet, but a separate writing system, so it should be quite the difficult task.

My first language is English, and I know Romanian. I'm learning German, and it's pretty fun, I'd recommend it to you. I like German because most people take Spanish, and half take French, so it's unique, and an easy language to learn too! French is a fun language too though.  :D

If you want to read a lot on that language, I recommend Portuguese. I mean, it's easy and very similar to English. It is a little hard to speak, because of some odd sounds, but if you train hard enough they come easily.

For example, "O quê você vai fazer hoje?" directly translates as:

O quê        você vai fazer      hoje?

What   are you   going to do today?

"What" and "O quê" mean exactly the same thing.

"You" and "você" are pronouns. They refer to the one you're speaking with.

"Are going to" is "vai". Yeah, it's way simpler.

"to do" and "fazer" are verbs. Verbs in English are always (to + verb), like "to swim", "to lose" and "to color". Verbs in Portuguese are always (something+a/e/i+r), like "nadar", "perder" and "colorir". Depending on the vowel, you flex it differently so as to agree with the subject and such.

"Today" and "hoje" are the same thing. I guess "hoje" is a difficult word for Americans to say. It's pronounced like o-gee without the "d" sound.

See? When you break it down it is very easy! And there is loads of things you can do with it. You can read all about how Portugal lost its importance in the world, or the criticism of Brazilian authors on trying to make Brazil just like Europe. You can read about a guy who tells you his life story while being dead (Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas/Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas). You can read the subtle irony and hidden criticism that all authors did during the Brazilian dictatorship. You can see the different faces of Brazil and how its people strive for a living (Os sertões, Capitães da Areia). Wikipedia can explain it a lot better than me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_literature

• Brohoof 2

I want to learn a new language but I'm not sure which one I should go at, I mostly want to learn one with simple grammer. So you guys tell me what languages you speak and which you you recommend I should learn.

What do you mean by "simple"? Simple like English? Try a Scandinavian language or Esperanto. But keep in mind that nearly all Indo-European languages have relatively the same grammar framework, although the usage and frequency may vary amongst them.

Next, grammar really doesn't matter if you're doing it for the right reasons. Why do you want to learn it? To impress someone? Put on a job résumé? Get involved with native culture? All of this will play a factor in the final outcome of how successful you are. 

Third point I want to mention is to practice practice practice, you won't get anywhere if all you do is read a grammar book or go to class 3 hours a week. Sure you may learn words, but you won't know the meaning behind them and how to use them, this is why learning "most common words" is a BAD idea if you aren't already at the fluent level. Because you have to build a web for the words. Then they start falling into place. But if you get all the words without the web, those bonds will not be formed and you will be left with an even harder experience with grammar, rapidly declining vocabulary, and a hurting, confused brain. 

Fourth, what language is most important to where you live and the economic situation? If you live in America I'd actually say that Spanish is actually something you might want to put aside for Arabic, Russian, or some form of Chinese (Economics and global affairs). People who say English is the only necessary language have no idea the amount of doors a second/third/fourth language can open for you, even in the US. Arabic skills can get you a lot of places in the government, honestly. Translators aren't perfect and they never will be, really .

Helpful links for OP:

http://www.interpals.net/

http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/

http://www.fluentin3months.com/

By the way, I've developed my own language but I still have to refine it before I actually could consider the building blocks complete, there are still endings that I have not completely worked out and forms that need better explanation, but other than that it already had 10.000+ words which are mostly unique.

Edited by ARagY
  • Brohoof 1