Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Discovery Taking Control over The Hub

EquestriaGuy

WAIT WHAT???

what..

-2 minutes of being dumbfounded later..-

So what exactly will happen to shows on there? I'm not just asking about MLP, but about other shows that aired on there as well.

There will probably be no immediate difference. There are still contracts signed, and whoever owns it now sure isn't going to get rid of any hit shows like MLP. You won't see much immediate change beyond a logo.

That said, I'm Canadian, I don't get the hub, I have to pirate new episodes of MLP when they air in the States because they don't air in Canada for months afterwards. Glad season 4 will be out on DVD in December this year instead of February like for season 3.

• Brohoof 1

The original Wall Street Journal article stated that the Hub has started shopping their shows to other networks, including CN. It is likely that the Hasbro block will last on the Discovery Family network only until they have to renegotiate the contract.

All three kids' networks hold potential problems for MLP:

• Nickelodeon is completely mismanaged. If MLP were to be aired on this network, we would have to worry about it being bounced all over the schedule and/or possibly being placed on the second-rate Nicktoons network, regarded as a dumping ground for failing shows.
  • Disney is not likely to pick it up as the Disney Channel does not air shows outside of the Disney brand, Disney XD is aimed only at boys, and the Hub shows would likely skew too old for the Disney Junior block/channel.
  • Cartoon Network's full slate likely means there will be little room on the lineup for a good timeslot. Additionally, regardless of who the new executives are who came in after the Young Justice incident, Cartoon Network has a history of demographic prejudices in their corporate culture leading to the negative treatment of girls' shows.

All of that makes the Internet a more and more enticing option. Hasbro would get the best results if they instead shopped the shows to Netflix or Amazon. They could also continue the Hub as an online-only channel like Kids' WB was after it was cancelled on-network. Although MLP has the advantage of a devoted fanbase from the cable show and makes it free from traditional television business models, moving it online could have adverse effects on the show's budget.

Then that's clearly where MLP should go. I believe Hulu would be a good option.

Lets just hope that they at least still keep MLP on the channels roster. I'd hate to see it end up on Boomerang...the channel where cartoons go to die...wait...what? Oh, that title already belongs to 4kids? Alright then...it's the channel where cartoons go AFTER they die...

• Brohoof 1

:( And I was having such a wonderful day, too...

I'm gonna miss the Hub. Over the past few months it's been my go-to channel whenever I didn't feel like Cartoon Network. Sure it's mostly little kids' shows, but at least they're little kids' shows with a heck of a lot more effort put into them. (...most of the time, but they can't all be great) I'm looking at you, Disney. :okiedokielokie:  You and your terrible sitcoms.

Gonna miss ya, Hub. Gonna miss ya.

• Brohoof 2

So, is this "5 year extension" actually going to happen or has that all changed now?

Hasbro still has control over 6 hours of the channel. Its likely that MLP, one of their most successful shows, should be fine.

• Brohoof 1

Is this really a surprise to anyone? They had a few good shows, but as far as kids networks go, they really had nothing over the likes of Disney, CN and Nick.  Not to mention right out of the gate, Discovery and them were disputing over the ownership of the channel from the get-go. Also it appears as though other networks want to adopt MLP into their lineup along with some of Hasbro's other shows, so really it might work out for them, because a LOT of people didn't GET the Hub, so this may actually increase exposure to those shows.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/09/discovery-and-hasbro-end-partnership-of.html

Well, the Hub will be going away soon. Honestly I'm really sad. While I know that MLP should be okay and that this won't affect it, I really will miss the Hub.  :(

Hi there. Just a heads-up that I've merged your thread with a previous one of the same subject.

• Brohoof 1

Is this really a surprise to anyone? They had a few good shows, but as far as kids networks go, they really had nothing over the likes of Disney, CN and Nick. Not to mention right out of the gate, Discovery and them were disputing over the ownership of the channel from the get-go. Also it appears as though other networks want to adopt MLP into their lineup along with some of Hasbro's other shows, so really it might work out for them, because a LOT of people didn't GET the Hub, so this may actually increase exposure to those shows.

Yeah it really isn't a surprise. Hub has some decent children's programming aside from MLP, but nothing that ever really took off the way that did sadly. Plus their rerun/movie blocks are really nothing special either, something needed to happen honestly and it did.

I don't think they'll give up MLP:FiM very easily though. It's gonna be on Discovery Family for at least 1 season I imagine and if Hasbro's block has success after the rebranding than definitely more. :huh:

• Brohoof 2

If I recall, Stuart Snyder was the previous CEO of Cartoon Network.  Many Cartoon Network fans HATED his guts.  But I have a feeling he may have had a hand in the botched Adult Swim ad that got the Boston Police breathing down previous CEO Tim Staples' neck so much that it caused him to resign.  And once he took over, he was doing alot of things that caused many Cartoon Network fans to flip out

1) He decided to just cancel many cartoons like Teen Titans, Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi, Johnny Bravo, the Powerpuff Girls and Samurai Jack.  That actually angered alot of creators like Lauren Faust, Craig McCracken, and Gennedy Tartakovski. 

2) He kept pushing Adult Swim to an earlier timeslot.  Before he left, Adult Swim was at the 8PM timeslot Pacific Time.

3) The most important one was the overpromotion of Live Action and Reality shows like Dude, What Would Happen, Hole in the Wall and Destroy, Build, Destroy.  All while pushing cartoons like Chowder, Flapjack, Young Justice, Green Lantern and Beware the Batman out of the way.  It took cartoons like Adventure Time and Regular Show to finally prove that wrong(And even that wasn't enough).

In the end, the guy was ousted and Christina Miller is now the new head of Cartoon Network.

As for the Hub, it really sucks that the network will be replaced by Discovery Family.  I only hope that My Little Pony lasts for along time and doesn't get screwed over by the executives.  It could end create a Teen Titans Go-style spinoff of the series five years from now.  XP

• Brohoof 2

Cancelling young Justice wasn't sexist they also cancelled Green lantern both shows weren't selling toys. If anything it was unfair to green lantern because they did even give it a toy line

Young Justice has attraction more girl viewer than boys,  on to the Green Lantern, it true there was suppose to be a toy line based on the animation series, but not was never produced because stores didn't want to put one shelve since they already got a Green Lantern toy line which was the movie toy line, Stores didn't even know that this toy line was based on the series. 

The HUB isn't going away, Hasbro is just reducing its involvement in the HUB network and are letting Discovery Communications handle more of it. The HUB Network started as a partnership between Hasbro and Discovery and it still is but the difference now is they are just seperating themselves from the network a bit more. Hasbro will still have some shows on it but their timeblock has been shrunk down and Discovery is going to be putting on more original programming which actually might be a good thing, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 2