Rainbow Rocks

Lightwing

Just finished watching this movie, and it was AWESOME! :D SO much of an improvement from the first one. Let's Have a Battle is without a doubt one of my top 5 favorite songs from the show ever. Pacing was a little bit wonky in some places and I was hoping Flash would have a bit more character development, but those were about the only gripes I had. Even as someone who really didn't like Equestria Girls 1, I really enjoyed this one. Even better hopes now for season 5! ;)

Just finished watching this movie, and it was AWESOME! :D SO much of an improvement from the first one. Let's Have a Battle is without a doubt one of my top 5 favorite songs from the show ever. Pacing was a little bit wonky in some places and I was hoping Flash would have a bit more character development, but those were about the only gripes I had. Even as someone who really didn't like Equestria Girls 1, I really enjoyed this one. Even better hopes now for season 5! ;)

2015. Much patience for me. 

My blind commentary:

As someone who disliked the "we can forgive what you did" ending of EQG 1,
Sunset's redemption was everything I could ever hope for. Well played, guys.
Sunset is now one of my favourite characters <3

The cameos were insane, the soundtrack blows my mind, and the animation/visual quality has turned itself up 3 notches. 

10/10, no friggin question. I slap the haters of this movie with a wet trout.

Edited by Luffyiscool
  • Brohoof 2

I've probably watched it five times with and without commentary(first commentarty we've gotten since season 1!).

I love the music, I love Sunset Shimmer, I love scientist Twilight in the end.

Definitely better than the original. 

:wub:

• Brohoof 1

Any idea when this will show up on Netflix?

Probably some time before Season 5 starts. It will still probably be at least a month or two from now because it just came out on DVD.

Any idea when this will show up on Netflix?

no clue but you can go to watch cartoon online and watch it now.

but its the discoverey channel version (a few couple second long scenes are cut, music is toned down a bit, and it has no credits)

The movie is easily available through yayponies or torrents. 
That's where I got my current copy from. 

I'd buy it, but i'm in a position where it would be awkward to have an MLP dvd case in my room.

Edited by Luffyiscool

I think that rainbow rocks was a very good movie. The songs were great and the character development was spot on. The only issue I had was If the mane 6 were so forgiving of Sunset Shimmer, why were they not being her friend? Didn't seem like they wanted to hang around her.

I would love for Hasbro to make a 3rd EQG movie someday, but I'm not sure I want them to release a new EQG after every season of MLP. And I don't think they'll make EQG 3 after Season Five, because it looks like they've already booked a different movie, with just ponies!

Rainbow_dash_OMG.jpg

Here's a nice article with all the deets regarding the upcoming movie:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=124201

The only issue I had was If the mane 6 were so forgiving of Sunset Shimmer, why were they not being her friend? Didn't seem like they wanted to hang around her.

I thought they WERE being her friend though. 

"you have us, and we've forgiven you for your past boo boos"

"sunset shimmer, over here!" <--- if you didn't want someone hanging around you, you wouldn't call out for them.

Most of the time, SUNSET was the one acting distant and shying away, because she felt guilty about what she did.

It was only by saving the day that she cast off those chains.

And the mane six were always quick to say "no offense", because they felt bad about accidentally insulting her.

Which is the attitude you'd show towards a friend. 

She was also invited to the slumber party, and took part in rarity's selfie.

And they only got mad at her when she crashed the performance, because they were angry about the prospect of being eliminated from the competition.

They were mad at her mistake in judgement (according to them), not her as a person. They quickly moved on and argued about other things, showing that it wasn't personal.

Well, Ya kno.

I'm pretty sure Hasbro is like

"O SHEET WHAT DO WE DO"
and then BAM movie.

But don't get me wrong, the movies are pretty cool! I'm 99.99% sure this movie is gonna have me singing like the last one did. Just, I personally feel like someone should butt in and be like "We should actually take time to make this good."

(I know it's released, but I can't see it until the DVD comes out or it plays on Discovery Family again. ;-; )

Edited by MyLittleHetalia

Just, I personally feel like someone should butt in and be like "We should actually take time to make this good."

As far as i'm concerned, that definitely happened. The movie was fantastic. In a whole other league compared to the first one.

• Brohoof 1

@@newfrickinshow, your review has been merged within this pinned thread where everypony can share their RR reviews. I must get around to writing my own actually.

The Flash being mean to Twilight to make her cry scene doesn't contribute anything to the movie plot, Twilight's motive, or even the romance as it never gets mentioned in the movie afterwards.

I totally disagree! During that scene, I picture Sunset witnessing mean Flash making Twilight cry from offscreen and decided to confront the Dazzlings in the dark hallway because of that. Yeah, I'm making the arguement that particular scene was to get Sunset motivated to confront the Dazzlings. It's my most favorite memorable terkjerker in the film! :(

I would like to add to my own post from last month:

What ran through Sunset's mind at that point must have something like: "That's not the Flash I remember dating just to become more popular. He was always nice to me and even taught me how to play the guitar. Sure, he broke up with me a few weeks before I stole Twilight's crown, but that's because he saw how mean I was to everyone. And now look what's happened to him: making Twilight cry, when just the other day, he was glad when they bumped into each other in the gym. That's it! I'm gonna confront the Dazzlings in this dark hallway. The Dazzlings have everyone but Twilight, the Rainbooms, Spike, and me under their spell, so they should already know that we know they're up to no good. It should be fine. They don't know about our counter-spell strategy. As long as I don't bring that up, I might be able to shake them!"

Of course, when she actually tried to confront them, she only got to say 2 lines as the Dazzlings planted seeds of self-doubt into her.

Also I would to add this:

I would like to point out what the Dazzlings knew and didn't knew by the time Sunset tried to confront them in the hallway. They knew about Sunset turning into that demon and tried to take over as they respond to Sunset's "You're never going to get away with this" with "Why? Because you didn't."

They suspected the Rainbooms have the Equestrian Magic they seek, but our heroes didn't know that the villains know about that.

What the Dazzlings didn't know was about the counter-spell strategy our heroes have. A panicked Twilight even said, "If we play the counter-spell in the first round and it doesn't know, the Sirens will know what we're up to and make sure we never get another chance to play it again!" Which is why the Rainbooms decided to compete in the battle of the bands for real with Rainbow on lead vocals again.

Flash being a jerk shouldn't stand out as the motivation to confront the Dazzlings when 99% of the school body was under their spell and acting aggressive. The motive is to save everyone and not just Flash. It should have been expected that he would be affected, because the Mane 5 and Sunset saw him in the cafeteria during the song getting aggressive. I chalk it up to ignorance is bliss or simple denial that Flash Sentry would be unaffected.

Edited by Singe

It was alright... I really didnt like the principal... no like the story, they  :yay: ing sing for power, and the make it overly-obvious that they are hypnotising them, its not even cryptic. Also, i'm disappointed in the MLP team, did they honestly expect this good reviews from this..? After how much of a flop EQG1 was? 

Well, I just now got to watch it and I must say:

THE RAINBOW REALLY DOES ROCK!!!!!

Well, maybe not to that level, but while the first film was decent at best, the sequel really does blow it out of the water. It felt less like an experiment and more like an actual movie and extension of the FiM franchise. Aside from a few awkward moments, the movie as a whole was much more enjoyable, and the characters felt like they grew and matured somewhat; especially Sunset Shimmer. Now, to some points:

1. As villains, the Dazzlings were absolutely remarkable. Not Sombra remarkable, but they worked extremely well. They're motivation felt justified and their plan actually made sense. Adagio worked well as the leader, Aria was great as the second, and Sonata...was so adorable. <3 Overall, they proved competent as obstacles to the protagonists and were excellent up to their defeat.

2. The highlight of the movie was easily Sunset Shimmer herself. She was fine, but underwhelming in the first film, but was the star of the sequel in my eye; even more so than the villains. How she grew from her devious mistakes, and having to deal with the consequences in the form of scorn from her peers was touched upon nicely. She felt really relatable in how left-out she was; even among her friends. She tried so hard to change, and met many obstacles along the way, but she persevered. What else can I say? She's essentially a favorite pony of mine now. <3

3. I loved the part Trixie played in the later part of the movie. Of course she didn't outshine the main characters, but it was happy to see her play antagonist and annoying foil again. <3

4. Of course I expected Vinyl to be in the film, but I didn't expect her to actually have the major contribution that she did have. That card was well-played by the staff; no doubt.

5. The songs were quite catchy, and felt somewhat left poppy. Not a bad thing at all.

6. While it did take place in a high school, it really did feel like the writers tried their hardest to take the emphasis away from the school, and I appreciate that. It's less of a high school drama and more of an action-factasy that just happens to take place in or near a high school. Kudos.

7. The Mane 6 played their parts well; including our beloved Twilight. I will admit that her issue with coming up with the counter-spell kinda felt forced, it worked well enough in the movie. Though I was annoyed that the counter-spell schtick was thrown out after that build-up. Just a nitpick though.

8. There were a couple of awkward moments that forced me to pause the film and do a face-palm, but there were few and far between, so I can live with them.

9. The animation overall was spectacular.

10. Science-Twilight at the end? JACK-POT!!!

Verdict: I give it 8.5 Ataris out of 10. It won't make it into my top-10 anytime soon, but it's a solid flick worth checking out for any FiM fan, IMO.