technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

Heads, huge blow-out on Square-Enix stuff(paid just under $20 for all this)

post-6903-0-46716000-1423164938_thumb.png

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

Im grabbing a Gtx 980 with my PC build. Alot of people seem to think its not a good idea right now, but honestly I think if you have the money to go for a 900 series, go for it. They should only get better with time and the 980 is an overclocking monster, even if it is costing me $800.

My reasoning for spending the 2700 or so on the PC now is that I wont need to upgrade for a long ass time. Plus its been a long time since I've played on a high end PC.

sm2y3Eq.png

Goddamn right, you should be scared of me

Twitter

Im grabbing a Gtx 980 with my PC build. Alt of people seem to think its not a good idea right now, but honestly I think if you have the money to go for a 900 series, go for it. They should only get better with time and the 980 is an overclocking monster, even if it is costing me $800.

My reasoning for spending the 2700 or so on the PC now is that I wont need to upgrade for a long ass time. Plus its been a long time since I've played on a high end PC.

Why's it not a good idea? The whole 970 thing that doesn't apply to the 980?

Why's it not a good idea? The whole 970 thing that doesn't apply to the 980?

At least here, you can get the 295x2 for only $100-$150 more and it offers twice as much performance as the GTX 970. The 980 doesn't have very good performance per dollar. Though at that point, you may as well go for a 290x/970 crossfire if you can...

Also, the R9 3xx series will probably be out soon.

Edited by Mouse

^ don't listen to this guy ^

Im grabbing a Gtx 980 with my PC build. Alt of people seem to think its not a good idea right now, but honestly I think if you have the money to go for a 900 series, go for it. They should only get better with time and the 980 is an overclocking monster, even if it is costing me $800.

What brand of 980 you're getting?

At least here, you can get the 295x2 for only $100-$150 more and it offers twice as much performance as the GTX 970. The 980 doesn't have very good performance per dollar. Though at that point, you may as well go for a 290x/970 crossfire if you can...

Also, the R9 3xx series will probably be out soon.

Not seeing any 295x2 cards for $450-500 but a fantastic deal at that price.

I like to stick to one powerful GPU and avoid dealing with the complications associated with multi-GPU, though. I'll give the R9 300 a good look for sure.

I didn't even read the OP but, all hail PC master Race, down with the consoles!. In all seriousness though I have been a fan of PC gaming since I was 10 years old, I am fairly sure the mouse and keyboard are burnt into my hands and mind by now, It's a sad & great thing when you can type pages with your eyes shut and not make a mistake.

• Brohoof 1

4JWFiDp.png

''Rembmer: The average is as close too the bottom as it is the top''

This was the end result of the Sqaure Sale for me, grabbed a quite a few interesting things.

post-6903-0-14185300-1423251855_thumb.png

"You know, I don't know who or what you are Methos, and I know you don't want to hear this, but you did teach me something. You taught me that Life's about change, about learning to accept who you are, good or bad. And I thank you for that."

-Duncan McLeod.

Not seeing any 295x2 cards for $450-500 but a fantastic deal at that price.

I like to stick to one powerful GPU and avoid dealing with the complications associated with multi-GPU, though. I'll give the R9 300 a good look for sure.

It's pretty much a a minimum of $550 for a GTX 980 and $680 for a 295x2 online in the USA. Though I suppose it could vary widely depending on the country.

^ don't listen to this guy ^

It's pretty much a a minimum of $550 for a GTX 980 and $680 for a 295x2 online in the USA. Though I suppose it could vary widely depending on the country.

Personally, I don't really see the 980 as being worth the premium over the 970 even with the whole VRAM issue going on. I've seen 295X2s going for around that price and probably would've jumped on one if it didn't mean I needed a new case and power supply to go with it.

Also, nice avatar. Stumbled onto his channel on YT recently, good stuff.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I don't really see the 980 as being worth the premium over the 970 even with the whole VRAM issue going on. I've seen 295X2s going for around that price and probably would've jumped on one if it didn't mean I needed a new case and power supply to go with it.

Also, nice avatar. Stumbled onto his channel on YT recently, good stuff.

To bad Rainbow Dash Presents ended.

On topic: I still plan to get a 970 when I upgrade because that card can still max out pretty much anything, which makes paying the $250+ extra for a 980 kind of pointless.

-Duncan McLeod.

To bad Rainbow Dash Presents ended.

On topic: I still plan to get a 970 when I upgrade because that card can still max out pretty much anything, which makes paying the $250+ extra for a 980 kind of pointless.

I don't think you'll be disappointed especially if you're gaming at 1080p. This card is brutally fast and the fans are barely even running with the chip loading around the mid 70sC. Mine's currently boosting to about 1500 MHz and getting over 10,000 in 3DMark Fire Strike with a lightly overclocked 3570K.

• Brohoof 1

PC is forever superior to all consoles, no question about that. However, Macs are only good for small, online games, whereas Windows is made more for extreme gaming.

And besides, you can't "upgrade" a Mac. It'll void any warranty you still have on that thing.

Dakon, Frank, Simon, Holly

Nothing is eternal, for everything has a beginning, and as such, everything has an end.

I don't think you'll be disappointed especially if you're gaming at 1080p. This card is brutally fast and the fans are barely even running with the chip loading around the mid 70sC. Mine's currently boosting to about 1500 MHz and getting over 10,000 in 3DMark Fire Strike with a lightly overclocked 3570K.

I have a 1080p/60Hz monitor so as long it's pretty future-proof for 1080/60FPS I'm good. 

PC is forever superior to all consoles, no question about that. However, Macs are only good for small, online games, whereas Windows is made more for extreme gaming.

And besides, you can't "upgrade" a Mac. It'll void any warranty you still have on that thing.

Considering the premium you pay for the label, I wouldn't really recommend a Mac to anyone unless they just love MacOS that much.

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

-Duncan McLeod.

I have a 1080p/60Hz monitor so as long it's pretty future-proof for 1080/60FPS I'm good. 

Considering the premium you pay for the label, I wouldn't really recommend a Mac to anyone unless they just love MacOS that much.

Unfortunatly, I have a friend who loves MacOS that much.

Dakon, Frank, Simon, Holly

Nothing is eternal, for everything has a beginning, and as such, everything has an end.

I'll get a new GPU sometime, but first on the upgrade list is the CPU. I'm still on an I7 950 [no you did not read that wrong that's a 2010 era CPU] 

If you're looking for a gaming cpu, a high end I5 like 4670K or 4690K and the AMD 8000 class cpus will work fine for you.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't think there was anything to clean up, this has been a pretty cool thread.

-Duncan McLeod.