Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

@@Starlight Sky

Here are some videos that may serve at least as starting point in choosing parts. Having used intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs, I'm not too familiar with AMD CPU/APUs and GPUs but I know that they're generally considered better in terms of price to performance. Some other things to mention are that you should at least have 8GB RAM for gaming and, unless I'm underestimating dual-core CPUs, it's probably safer to go with a quad-core CPU instead of dual-core CPU.

If you're serious about video editing, I think that's where hyperthreading benefits are applicable but your budget is too limited to invest in one of those CPUs for now. But in any case it certainly will be an improvement over your laptop which I assume wasn't particularly high end(?).

Here are some PC building tutorial videos for when you do get your parts. Even with different parts, general steps should be the same.

One other thing is that when buying parts, I think it's better to buy things as parts go on sale rather than buying everything at once; saves money that way.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

So my brother works for Got Junk and he often brings home interesting things that people are throwing out. Today he brought home a giant desktop. I had to reset the CMOS to get the system running, but now it's working. Specs:

Core 2 Duo 6700 @2.66 GHz

Asus P5LD2 Motherboard

2GB DDR2 RAM

9800 GTX GPU

Thermaltake Toughpower 700w PSU

320GB WD Harddrive

Some thing below the GPU--possibly a sound card?

Thermaltake Tsunami Case

So yeah... Not that impressive as it is, but it provides a decent base to build off of. The PSU should work well with anything single GPU I throw at it, the hard drive should be keepable and the case looks pretty unique, is built solid and appears to have decent airflow. I was hoping to throw a Core 2 Quad and a decent GPU into it and call it a day and use the same motherboard, but unfortunately the motherboard only supports 4GB of DDR2 RAM, so it'll have to go. But with a cheap/used quad core, a cheap/used motherboard, a used HD 7950 (they go for 100-120 on ebay) and 8GB DDR3 RAM this thing should be a formidable gaming machine for under $300.

Edited by Mouse

Iv been looking at cases I'm trying to find this one by fractal design it has anti sound features and dust filters but im confused is it the r5 rf5 or just s?

Iv been looking at cases I'm trying to find this one by fractal design it has anti sound features and dust filters but im confused is it the r5 rf5 or just s?

I believe it's a R5 if you mean this

5769_fractal%20design%20define%20r5.jpg

-

So anyway i'm going to hopefully be building a rad friend of mine a new PC :). since i got a spare X5550 xeon kicking about and some RAM. i figured they would be better off being in her PC instead of sitting around doing nothing.

so i proposed this.

Xeon X5550/i7 920

Intel DX58SO

12GB DDR3 1600 (Corsair Vengeance) (3X4GB)

NZXT Phantom 410

Need a cooler

Need Storage

Need PSU/Antec Truepower Classic 550W

Radeon HD 7950 Dual X/HD 7870

Windows 7.

Sound good? :D or should i maybe get a X5650?

Finally got around to opening up the bulk of canned-air I bought (three big cans for $12) and cleaning out my computer a little big.

I think it actually starting running quieter because I sprayed so much shit out of there.

So, I have a question, For a fully liquid cooled system, with reservoir and everything, would that be better in a full tower case? Or would a mid tower suffice? I'm not going to use more than an enclosed liquid cooler, but if I ever do, then, it would be in an entirely new build.

Finally got around to opening up the bulk of canned-air I bought (three big cans for $12) and cleaning out my computer a little big.

I think it actually starting running quieter because I sprayed so much shit out of there.

Canned air reminds me of this:

perriair1.gif

• Brohoof 1

So, I have a question, For a fully liquid cooled system, with reservoir and everything, would that be better in a full tower case? Or would a mid tower suffice? I'm not going to use more than an enclosed liquid cooler, but if I ever do, then, it would be in an entirely new build.
 Watercooling in a mid-tower can work, but the Define R4 has bad watercooling support so I wouldn't recommend it.

Watercooling in a mid-tower can work, but the Define R4 has bad watercooling support so I wouldn't recommend it.

That's why I said I would do an entirely different build for watercooling.

Though a cooler like this would work wouldn't it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181090&cm_re=liquid_cooler-_-35-181-090-_-Product

Just wan't some ones opinion on it or if you see a problem with it, its going to be around 6 months until I can actually buy it hopefully so odds are some things will be changed anyways. I have no idea on the mouse keyboard and monitor and also where to get a good chair I wan't something comfortable I can sit in for long periods at a time. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/krFhwP

Probably not, at least in your current rig.

I see. Well, my Hyper 212 should suffice for a while.

So I was looking at cases and one of them that interest me mounts the hdd side ways i'm sure its ok but is ok to have a hdd side ways long term?

(edited)

Just wan't some ones opinion on it or if you see a problem with it, its going to be around 6 months until I can actually buy it hopefully so odds are some things will be changed anyways. I have no idea on the mouse keyboard and monitor and also where to get a good chair I wan't something comfortable I can sit in for long periods at a time. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/krFhwP

Not bad. I'd make the PSU a little bigger. Maybe 850W or higher. Considering the parts you're using.

Also, I'd put an HDD, that 250GB SSD won't last you by itself, at least get 1 or 2 TB, 2TB isn't all that expensive, either.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Spent some time reading through the guides on logical increments and watching builds on youtube. Given my price range of $550ish, I'm probably set on the parts to select from, but hoping for confirmation:

Can gaming PCs handle video editing? It just needs more storage space, right?

Edit: Also, for a game with these minimum specs:

• Processor: Intel Core2 Duo
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: nVidia GeForce 7900 GT or better / AMD Radeon X1900 / nVidia GeForce GT 620 (Windows 8.1)
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
  • Sound Card: Direct Sound

Would the "good" category suffice? Probably the toughest game I'll ask it to run, and might need to cut the budget back ^^

And peripherals can be considered afterwards, right? Will any old mechanical keyboard or monitor be compatible?

Edited by Starlight Sky

(edited)

Ehh, I would say that you take any sort of "Minimum System Requirements" with a grain of salt.

A mechanical keyboard should be just fine, as long as you can connect it to your PC, same goes with the monitor

As to whether a gaming PC can handle video editing, it depends on the parts, in the case of video editing the CPU matters more than the GPU, considering that not all programs support all GPUs when it comes to a GPU's ability to encode video.

Edited by VictiniStar101