Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do the ponies have to pick up the snow?

Tjb2000

Equestria is not a natural place like earth. If none of the pegasi handle the weather, then they would be stuck in winter, forever.

• Brohoof 1

Given the extreme amount of micromanagement the climate of Equestria appears to need, I'm suspicious that this is a kind of terraforming. Whatever the 'natural' climate is, is not kind to ponies.

If that's true, maybe the snow *will* melt on it's own, but there used to be some kind of contaminant in it so it was wise to remove it from anywhere that will be growing food plants. Just because once it starts melting, the volume of contaminant released all at once has some detrimental effect. Over years the 'remove snow from food-growing areas' became 'remove all snow everywhere' as these things are wont to do.

• Brohoof 1

Well, the pegasus ponies do control the clouds. They could move the coulds to let the sun shine, but usually during the winter the sun is farther away from the half of whatever planet that they are on, making it melt the snow slower

And I think that's where everypony comes in

• Brohoof 1

And of course, like everything in MLP, they only do it once, and never again.  By which I mean there was only one episode in the series that featured the wrapping up of winter, and it will most likely never be heard of again.  That kind of annoys me at times.  I wish these kinds of things would pop up now and again.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight Sparkle may not be too happy.  I'd imagine that picking up snow would be an important cleaning activity on her "to do list" for wrapping things up for winter in Ponyville.

^_^

"ponies never use magic to clean up witer, it traditon"  objection! earth pony MAGIC!   lolz I kid but yeah snow still melts when above freezing point so magic snow or not.  Then again perspiration isn't at hink in Equtria since then need ot pump the water up to make clouds.

Who says snow melts on its own in Equestria? This is a fictional world with magic and talking ponies. Any similarities between their world and ours is coincidence, even if there are a huge number of them.

Point is, Winter Wrap Up is a thing in this show. It exists because the show says it exists, and they engage in it because the writers and the makers of the show want it to exist. Even if you think it's weird or doesn't make sense, it's not going to go anywhere. The majority of this show is lighthearted in tone anyways. The creators are going to do whatever they think is fun, entertaining, quirky, etc. And chances are, the creators have a good humor about it too. If you shared something like the ".mov" videos with them, they'd probably be mature enough to laugh at it with you. They wouldn't get all super defensive and say "Hey! This is SERIOUS! We put our hearts and souls into this!" They completed their first mission, make a show that anyone can enjoy without being weighed down by the common for-girls tropes and stereotypes. Anything else is whatever they feel like making.

Edited by Samurai Equine
  • Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

• Brohoof 1

So the earth ponies can plant their seeds on schedule so they can grow the food on time.  The snow would melt on its own, but it would take a while, and then they might not have enough food for when they need it if they had to wait.  They even say in the song "the food we've stored is running out, and we can't grow in this cold"

The real answer is that they say that the sun will melt the snow, but the point is that they have to get it somewhere where it won't flood whatever they're working on. The difference from the real world is that they're melting ALL the snow in less than a day, which would flood the farms, streets, animal coves, and everything else unless they moved it somewhere else beforehand.

Guys, in EQ MAGIC WORKS.  It is like the laws of physics here on Earth.  Sure, most of the leaves fall by themselves, most of the snow just melts, etc. But, you don't perform the rituals, the seasons don't change.  Period.  You don't do Summer Sun Celebration, crops don't ripen.  No Running of the Leaves, no Autumn harvest. You don't do Winter Wrap Up, you could get 100 years where it's always Winter & never Xmas (like in Narnia). 

Sure, the Pegasi control the weather & in big cities Unicorns turn the seasons, BUT it doesn't just happen, somebody has to make it happen

Well to answer the OP's question, no, they clearly don't. Some natural laws like gravity are obviously present, but Equestria is demonstrably a world that demands much more of it's denizens than Earth does of us.

Snow needs to be picked up and plowed away. Assumably the magic works to melt it away only after that. Winter just left on it's own would last until the ponies manually got around to cleaning it up.

This is just a friendly reminder to keep things on topic people. I had to hide a few posts that strayed from that. :)

Guys, in EQ MAGIC WORKS.  It is like the laws of physics here on Earth.  Sure, most of the leaves fall by themselves, most of the snow just melts, etc. But, you don't perform the rituals, the seasons don't change.  Period.  You don't do Summer Sun Celebration, crops don't ripen.  No Running of the Leaves, no Autumn harvest. You don't do Winter Wrap Up, you could get 100 years where it's always Winter & never Xmas (like in Narnia). 

Sure, the Pegasi control the weather & in big cities Unicorns turn the seasons, BUT it doesn't just happen, somebody has to make it happen

I hope this isn't too off topic, but honestly this is one of the biggest things Twilight should have been confused about in the human world. "Who's gonna move the clouds around if no one can fly?" "Why isn't anyone moving he snow? The warm weather isn't going to just come by itself!"

• Brohoof 1

I hope this isn't too off topic, but honestly this is one of the biggest things Twilight should have been confused about in the human world. "Who's gonna move the clouds around if no one can fly?" "Why isn't anyone moving he snow? The warm weather isn't going to just come by itself!"

I think she just didn't get that far.  Maybe if she stayed longer.  There wasn't any snow during either of her two visits.

Well, early on AJ says that the Everfree Forest 'is not natural' because plants grow and seasons change on their own. That would imply that in the rest of Equestria, maintenance is needed to ensure the seasons pass. The sun and moon need to be raised, which would imply a static, unchanging planet, and we know that weather changes like rain are scheduled in advance (Look Before You Sleep). Picking up snow is then a logical action that comes with the changing of the seasons.