Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Big Macintosh Was Ruined

Arctofire

Okay so in his first major appearance, Apple Buck Season, Big Mac was actually a very strong and interesting character, he was very wise, worn, and had a sense of that big male figure that every family needs. Now a lot of people complain that one thing MLP does badly is male characters, but this was not always the case, Spike when McCarthy used him and actually a very cool character until they introduced a hideous new idea to us, Spike episodes. Big Mac was also a character which I thought was very well established, but he had been completely ruined by season 2, when he used to say yep, or nope, every single time he spoke. Does anyone else feel this way. 

• Brohoof 2

Does anyone else feel this way.

I think it would be nice to here him get a few more lines, yes. I do however like the stoic nature of the character and the running gag has not gotten old to me yet.

fc,550x550,lemon.jpg 

• Brohoof 7

Not particularly.

Big Mac only spoke in his very first appearance and in the "Gabby Gums" episode (I forget the name of that one). He's always been a pony of few words, and I still think he's often depicted as a wise pony. "Pinkie Apple Pie" comes immediately to mind, where we find out that, though we didn't get to hear it, Big Macintosh had some impressive wisdom to impart upon Pinkie Pie.

I see Big Macintosh as a smart, strong, salt-of-the-earth stallion who just does what needs doing with no unnecessary jabber. He is not a leader, and he knows he doesn't have to be. Applejack is a much better leader and family head, not because she's "better" but just because that's how each of their personalities are. Big Macintosh would rather just focus on his work than worry about directing anypony else, and every member of the Apple family understands that age and gender aren't important when it comes to leadership, it's all about who's right for what job. They're smart and efficient like that ;)

• Brohoof 5

I disagree. I actually liked to hear him talk more. The only thing that decreased my opinion of him was this:

Seriously that was really uncalled for...They were sorry for what they did...There was no reason to be so mean...
  • Brohoof 2

Nah. I like Mac's character. He only talks when he needs to, no more, no less. He's smart, he knows what's up. He may not be a living encylopedia like Twilight but he knows what he knows. If Mac speaks a full sentence, its either very important or you've done goofed big time. XD

• Brohoof 1

I disagree. I actually liked to hear him talk more. The only thing that decreased my opinion of him was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjeDU7W2IQQ

Seriously that was really uncalled for...They were sorry for what they did...There was no reason to be so mean...

I think his reaction was justified. It's more difficult to forgive someone who purposefully did you wrong, and if someone published something about me that I considered to be private for the entire city to read, forgiveness would be quite difficult. Wouldn't you be that upset if you were in his position? Or perhaps you're more forgiving? Or perhaps you would be more lenient because they're children? I know I couldn't be even if they apologized.

Edited by Krovavaya Luna
  • Brohoof 6

I don't think he was ruined.

I liked when he talks normally in season 1, but now that he only says "Eeyup" and "Nope" (which was funny at first, but is now a bit boring), whenever he talks normally again it's very surprising (Ponyville Confidential). That's what makes him original I guess.

Edited by Blobulle

Dude, that episode made the entire town look like jerk-butts.

Anyway, no, Big Mac wasn't "ruined," so much as just underused.

• Brohoof 2

Big Mac isn't "ruined" he is just underutilized which is a real shame. Apparently early on the writers came up with a Big Mac episode but Hasbro said no which is kind of lame but maybe they will change their minds later. Big Mac is an interesting contrast to the opinionated Applejack and Granny Smith and largely immature Applebloom that I would like to see explored a bit more. 

Dude, that episode made the entire town look like jerk-butts.

Anyway, no, Big Mac wasn't "ruined," so much as just underused.

Agreed. Also, having him talk and Applejack not is actually kind of amusing in this case IMHO. Personally, I like Big Mac as the strong silent type. I chalk up his portrayal in Applebuck Season to him just not being quite fully fleshed out as a character at that point. That version of Big Mac didn't have much in the way of character traits, and now he has a major defining trait, and I don't see it as a bad thing.

Not particularly.

Big Mac only spoke in his very first appearance and in the "Gabby Gums" episode (I forget the name of that one). He's always been a pony of few words, and I still think he's often depicted as a wise pony. "Pinkie Apple Pie" comes immediately to mind, where we find out that, though we didn't get to hear it, Big Macintosh had some impressive wisdom to impart upon Pinkie Pie.

I see Big Macintosh as a smart, strong, salt-of-the-earth stallion who just does what needs doing with no unnecessary jabber. He is not a leader, and he knows he doesn't have to be. Applejack is a much better leader and family head, not because she's "better" but just because that's how each of their personalities are. Big Macintosh would rather just focus on his work than worry about directing anypony else, and every member of the Apple family understands that age and gender aren't important when it comes to leadership, it's all about who's right for what job. They're smart and efficient like that ;)

Actually when you put it in that perspective, your right. I take back what I said because Apple Jack is the much better leader and he does still have that wisdom. I'm sorry for maybe being a little over dramatic and you have persuaded me to share your opinion.

• Brohoof 3

Asbel Lhant, on 27 Jan 2015 - 3:29 PM, said: I disagree. I actually liked to hear him talk more. The only thing that decreased my opinion of him was this: Seriously that was really uncalled for...They were sorry for what they did...There was no reason to be so mean... I think his reaction was justified. It's more difficult to forgive someone who purposefully did you wrong, and if someone published something about me that I considered to be private for the entire city to read, forgiveness would be quite difficult.

I agree with Krova. Keep in mind that it was also suppose to be comedic as the lines Applejack and Big Mac would probably say in the situation are reversed. Besides, I believe that there are consequences for our actions, so I'm perfectly fine with the reaction. But I will admit it was pretty harsh but still justified. 

The thing is, the running joke wouldn't be a running joke if it wasn't a running joke.

post-2257-0-11988200-1422434582_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-71931200-1422434582_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-40877200-1422434583_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-98288900-1422434583_thumb.jpg

If Big MacIntosh hadn't been typecast into continuing the joke, we could have had a wiser mentor and foil for Applejack's more headstrong ways, and I think that would have opened as much or more comedic possibility than just "eeyup" and "nope".

I agree with the OP (wha-wha-wha-whaaat?!) Big Mac was kinda ruined.

• Brohoof 1

Actually when you put it in that perspective, your right. I take back what I said because Apple Jack is the much better leader and he does still have that wisdom. I'm sorry for maybe being a little over dramatic and you have persuaded me to share your opinion.

*deep breath....*

yay

I'm so flattered, thank you! Admittedly I do have a soft spot for the big guy. It was his "eeyups" and "nopes" that helped get my partner into MLP, they were the first thing in the show that he actually d'awwwed at.

I feel like if anything can get people into the show like that, it can't be all bad :P

• Brohoof 1

Big Mac was actually a very strong and interesting character, he was very wise, worn, and had a sense of that big male figure that every family needs...but he had been completely ruined by season 2, when he used to say yep, or nope, every single time he spoke. Does anyone else feel this way. 

I refer you to the next quote;

img-3448907-1-fc,550x550,lemon.jpg

I don't feel that his lack of words lessens his character, or wisdom. Just his depth, which is salvaged by the way the other characters can read his silence or short answers. Like in Filli Vanilli;

They were sorry for what they did...

They weren't yet apologizing for what they did, they were just whining about "you're mad at us too?", as if anger is an unreasonable response to what they did. I say, justified. :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 3

I don't think he was ruined. His wisdom is not gone; he can still be wise by saying just a few words. Sometimes I wish I could be as stoic as he is. It shows that when he does have something to say, it's something good.

Have we forgotten the advice he gave Applejack with just two words in "Somepony to Watch Over Me?" And his amazingness in "Filli Vanilli".

No, I think Big Mac is just fine the way he is.

• Brohoof 2

(Geez, have people run out of things to complain about?)

I don't necessarily think he was ruined. Side characters tend to not be ruined since they to not have as much of a character as the main character. Oh, and what's this about him not saying a lot anymore? He hasn't said a lot before. He will have those rare moments where he does talk but those are rare, as it brings more of a surprise to the audience. 

(Next people will be saying that Derpy was ruined.)

• Brohoof 2

It's obvious to me Big Mac represents action rather than words. ITT when a person acts on what they believe in, what's right or what's necessary then there's no need for words because the actions say it all. Still, the creators making him talk kind of wrecks his character for me because he really doesn't have to talk.

• Brohoof 1

(Geez, have people run out of things to complain about?)

I don't necessarily think he was ruined. Side characters tend to not be ruined since they to not have as much of a character as the main character. Oh, and what's this about him not saying a lot anymore? He hasn't said a lot before. He will have those rare moments where he does talk but those are rare, as it brings more of a surprise to the audience. 

(Next people will be saying that Derpy was ruined.)

People have already said that, which is why she has two voices. :derp:

(They were bad people, so says Kou the almighty!)

It's obvious to me Big Mac represents action rather than words. ITT when a person acts on what they believe in, what's right or what's necessary then there's no need for words because the actions say it all. Still, the creators making him talk kind of wrecks his character for me because he really doesn't have to talk.

That's an interesting take on the thread and the character.

I read that as "Yes, he is ruined, but for the opposite reason," and I rather like the sense it makes.

Okay so in his first major appearance, Apple Buck Season, Big Mac was actually a very strong and interesting character, he was very wise, worn, and had a sense of that big male figure that every family needs. Now a lot of people complain that one thing MLP does badly is male characters, but this was not always the case, Spike when McCarthy used him and actually a very cool character until they introduced a hideous new idea to us, Spike episodes. Big Mac was also a character which I thought was very well established, but he had been completely ruined by season 2, when he used to say yep, or nope, every single time he spoke. Does anyone else feel this way. 

Okay buddy whatever you say, Big mac is ruined! It all sucks after season one! Why does Twilight have wings!? Flanderization!! OUT OF CHARACTER!!! OTHER OVERUSED CLICHE BUZZWORDS THAT REALLY DON'T MEAN ANYTHING!!! THE FANDOM IS AT AN END, ABANDON SHIP, ITS ALL OVER, GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!!! 

*ahem* Oh wait, Big Mac has not only been featured as a big character in several episodes he has also said more than just 'Yep" and "Nope." He's also had some great comedic moments and has been fleshed out a lot more than other side characters, and is actually MORE interesting in the later seasons than he was in season ONE. Never mind everyone false alarm! 

Also Big Mac for next Alicorn Princess 

img-3451725-2-186523.jpg

• Brohoof 3

Not ruined. He acted the way he did in "Applebuck Season" because he hadn't been established yet. 'Yep' and 'nope' work well enough. Plus, he talks when he has to.

Though I think it would be interesting he if had the spotlight and we could hear his thoughts like in the comic book story "The Art of Zen and Gazebo Repair". (To make it more interesting, he could even think with a different voice)

• Brohoof 1