Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the Ponies Represent the 7 Deadly Sins?

Gearbox10mm

(edited)

The more I think about it, the central 7 (mane 6 + spike) fit the 7 deadly sins surprisingly well.

Rarity is Lust. She is always pining for some stallion she has a crush on.

Pinkie is Gluttony. She eats way too many sweets.

Twilight is Greed. Has been known to hoard books.

Spike is Sloth. Complains about getting out of bed and takes frequent naps.

Fluttershy is Wrath. Calm most of the time but don't get on her bad side.

Rainbow is Envy. Wants to be just like the Wonderbolts.

Applejack is Pride. She can be too prowd to accept help from others.

What do you think of this?  

Edited by Gearbox10mm
  • Brohoof 4

Thing is, we all do those things from time to time. You, me, everyone in the world :P Dunno if that's enough evidence to declare them as being representatives of the 7 deadly sins as those are very common things that just about every human does, but that's just me.

• Brohoof 11

I feel like whenever there's a group of 7 characters, people automatically look for this. It happened with Spongebob, Adventure Time, Justice League, Regular Show, and more, and it's usually based on loose evidence or single episodes.

So no, I don't think they are the Deadly Sins, I think they are the Elements of Harmony.

• Brohoof 5

No, they don't embody those things enough.

Example: Rarity fawning over stallions on occasion does not maker her an embodiment of lust. Fluttershy bing mad sometimes does not make her the embodiment of wrath. Saying that they represent the seven deadly sins is too much of a stretch for me.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

If they do sometimes, I'm sure it's by coincidence more than anything. And to be honest, I don't think any of those are really that bad. There's nothing wrong with wanting more books or being proud. A person or pony with none of these "sins" would be, in my opinion, very flawed.

The only time I recall a story having the 7 Sins was Fullmetal Alchemist. XD

Instantly thought of that as well xD

Edited by Frostgage

Those are flaws, not deadly sins.

Rarity: Having a crush isn't lust. If she went around having sex with every stallion she ran into, then it would be lust.

Pinkie Pie: She doesn't eat them to the point of wastefulness.

Twilight: Greed is being selfish and wanting more, which I have not seen her do.

Spike: ... He is kind of lazy, but not to the point to where he's a bum.

Fluttershy: Wrath would be getting angry all the time over every little thing.

Rainbow Dash: That's not envy, it's admiration.

Applejack: Pride essentially means arrogance. Applejack is not arrogant.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

according to the christian bible, yes. in fact, everyone sins. some sin in one of the seven rather than others. rainbow dash just as her personality can represent the sin of pride. but as a matter of fact there are plenty of people in real life who act like that. it's not uncommon or a huge deal

in my opinion the bible and religion has many flaws. i tend to go by my own beliefs and morals, which can be summed up to being nice and humble.

DISCLAIMER: the above statement is simply my own thoughts and opinions and is in now way meant to sway the thoughts or opinions of others. it is simply my own beliefs and if you disagree that is fine. humans do that. they disagree.

Edited by ~Phoenix~

Hmm. I think this is a fun idea, though, I'm not completely certain of if I agree with your order.

Rarity as Lust is accurate enough. She does want to be with stallions and I guess that nopony else suits this sin any better than Rarity does.

Pinkie as Gluttony. I do agree about this one too, no one would suit as this sin better than Pinkie.

Twilight as Greed however, I do not agree. Greed would be much better for Spike or even Rainbow Dash. But most likely more for Spike. He's a greedy bastard in nature, as we've all gotten proved to ourselves in previous episodes, why, there is even a whole episode dedicated to how greedy Spike really is.

Spike as Sloth. As you might already tell, I do not agree. Spike is very alert and does all his duties, despite wanting to sleep a little bit longer in the morning etc, etc. I'd say that Rainbow Dash is Sloth. She's an elite and all sporty, but aside from her active training, she's darn lazy. She sleeps in trees, does much to try and avoid her "boring" duties as long as possible. It's not much to go with, but Rainbow Dash would definitely be the one who suits this sin the best.

Fluttershy as Wrath. I definitely agree on this point. She would be Wrath, thinking about that she literally became the pony hulk as a superhero, has this "devil" side to her, and has probably been the MOST angry pony out of the mane 6. She's mad.. Quite a lot. So yes.

Rainbow as Envy. Now, this I already decleared as well. I do not agree. If anything, Trixie would be envy. I can't really put anypony in this sin. I guess Twilight is left over for this sin, but I can't quite put her in there somehow. She's not the envious pony. So I suppose this one is missing a little bit in my theory.

Applejack as Pride. Hmm... This would probably also be Rainbow Dash, since Rainbow Dash really DOES fill into a lot of these sins. But basically, they all do. We all do these sins daily, actually. Anywho, I suppose that you're right at this point too. She's got her pride for her farm, family and her own strength. It would be totally accurate to call Applejack for Pride.

Yee.. Adjustments.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Yes!!!! I love this theory! What I really like is that there's an Element of Harmony that counteracts each sin more or less and that it's not the same pony with the sin and Element, ex: Rarity isn't Generosity and Greed. It does have a few flaws but what theory doesn't?

Edited by Princess Oceangem

Twilight as Greed however, I do not agree. Greed would be much better for Spike or even Rainbow Dash. But most likely more for Spike. He's a greedy bastard in nature, as we've all gotten proved to ourselves in previous episodes, why, there is even a whole episode dedicated to how greedy Spike really is.

Spike as Sloth. As you might already tell, I do not agree. Spike is very alert and does all his duties, despite wanting to sleep a little bit longer in the morning etc, etc. I'd say that Rainbow Dash is Sloth. She's an elite and all sporty, but aside from her active training, she's darn lazy. She sleeps in trees, does much to try and avoid her "boring" duties as long as possible. It's not much to go with, but Rainbow Dash would definitely be the one who suits this sin the best.

Rainbow as Envy. Now, this I already decleared as well. I do not agree. If anything, Trixie would be envy. I can't really put anypony in this sin. I guess Twilight is left over for this sin, but I can't quite put her in there somehow. She's not the envious pony. So I suppose this one is missing a little bit in my theory.

Since all dragons are greedy it would not be fair to single Spike out for this sin. He has been known for his selfless generosity, ie giving Rarity his birthday gem.

Calling Ponieville's top athlete Sloth just dose not feel right. Rainbow can be lazy but she is much more active than Spike is. She looks up to and deeply wishes to emulate the Wonderbolts. If that is not Envy, I don't know what is.

Twilight as Greed is the weakest pairing on the list IMO. At the start of the show she was only concerned with her own studies and had no time for others. Also in the season 4 finale she made a pretty big huff about not haveing a bigger importance in the running of Equestria even after becoming an alicorn princess. 

Stretching it a whole lot here...

I don't really get the idea of Rainbow Dash as Envy. I tend to think of 'Envy' as being a bit spiteful in nature. Rainbow Dash wanting to be a part of the Wonderbolts is a big dream of hers that she is working towards. If she were envious, or any emphasis was being put on that, I'd think that she'd be less of a 'fangirl' toward them and more like "Oh great, it's the Wonderbolts again! Always better than me no matter what I do." Instead she is fascinated by them, and believes fully in her abilities to one day be a part of them.

Rainbow Dash has actually been shown to be much more fitting of Pride... But, as I said, it's really stretching it to try to fit them into these. I don't think that was ever the intentions of the writers.

Since all dragons are greedy it would not be fair to single Spike out for this sin. He has been known for his selfless generosity, ie giving Rarity his birthday gem.

Calling Ponieville's top athlete Sloth just dose not feel right. Rainbow can be lazy but she is much more active than Spike is. She looks up to and deeply wishes to emulate the Wonderbolts. If that is not Envy, I don't know what is.

Twilight as Greed is the weakest pairing on the list IMO. At the start of the show she was only concerned with her own studies and had no time for others. Also in the season 4 finale she made a pretty big huff about not haveing a bigger importance in the running of Equestria even after becoming an alicorn princess. 

Now, putting it that way.. I DO agree with all your points. xD

I guess this is hard since all the ponies have done at LEAST 2-3 of the sins on their own. So it's hard to place them.

• Brohoof 1

Applying a certain 'sin' to a character works just as well as applying a certain element to them; even if they aren't fully defined by that element.

These characters are complex creatures that are more than the sum of their parts, and can't be easily identified by one single term.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Actually yeah the show does represent the 7 deadly sins.

In fact there is a character on the show who best represents all of them at the same time:

640px-Diamond_Tiara_wanted_to_hear_S2E23

Look at it's eyes those are clearly the eyes of pure unadulterated evil!

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't think they're supposed to represent them, although they may have the sins as flaws. The sins frequently appear to show up in media because they make for more interesting character actions. (After all, flaws are a driving force of writing)

Edited by StoneCold

Applejack: Pride essentially means arrogance. Applejack is not arrogant.

And I quote;

"Besides you're a mighty good athlete, I'm just better!"

:toldya:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

And I quote;

Depends on who writes the episode I guess.

And besides, it's not meant in a way that harms anybody.

Edited by Mountaineer28

(edited)

And I quote;

Also:

"Dear Princess Celestia [...] I was right all along!"

Edited by Infinite901
  • Brohoof 1

Applying a certain 'sin' to a character works just as well as applying a certain element to them; even if they aren't fully defined by that element.

These characters are complex creatures that are more than the sum of their parts, and can't be easily identified by one single term.

Very true. They have all acted contrary to the elements assigned to them at one time or another. Their complexity makes them somewhat unpredictable as characters. Exhibit A - Pinkie Pie.