Is It Possible That Luna & Celestia Aren't Sisters?

Denim&Venöm

Is it possible that the princesses of the sun & moon aren't biologically related as sisters? That their relationship might be, at best as step sisters or sisters in laws? Or more likely, that they call each other sisters because of their shared duties and status? Celestia calls Cadence her Niece, but the book series confirmed that she was just a pegasus who achieved ascendance, and then taken in by Celestia. 

So is it possible that maybe Celestia took in Luna as her sister or vice versa? Or can it be a whole "like a sister" or "sister in arms" type of deal?

DENIMVENOM.jpg.044401b86728c9eacc741b8d13926f4e.jpg

Yes, it's possible. It's also possible that Twilight fell out of the carriage on the way out from Canterlot, bumped her had, and everything afterwards was a coma, but it's not something likely enough that I'll lose sleep over the chance it's canon.

But if you refer to the fact that "Sister" can be an honorary title, it's certainly possible that's the case, especially since we don't know who the parents of either of them are (Or accurately, if they even have parents).

Edited by Obstinance

e568whr.png

Or maybe my ship is true!! That would make all that fan fiction weird though...

cgv GWOqfguvbuoweqglfbqglvc buwaigvwudsfgcsydgv

its impossible to type with hooves. lucky me, i am a unicorn

Oh my, that's a very interesting question. I think we can rule out the In-laws part, as Luna and Celestia never married so far (confirmed by the staff), or the simbolic siblinghood touched by tribal cultures mostly (these shows rarely shows them, and I don't expect FiM doing it). Otherwise, step-sisters, adopted, being raised as sisters while they are actually cousins or not related at all, sounds plausible as far as we know about the two princesses

img-32537-1-post-15132-0-63886300-146778

Sig by Discords

The Journal Of The Two Sisters said they're indeed sisters.

They don't seem to be raised by their parents it seems, and why they were chosen to be made as their rulers? There wasn't any alder alicorns around? I wondered that because it's evident Celestia and Luna were quite young back then

• Brohoof 1

img-32537-1-post-15132-0-63886300-146778

Sig by Discords

They don't seem to be raised by their parents it seems, and why they were chosen to be made as their rulers? There wasn't any alder alicorns around? I wondered that because it's evident Celestia and Luna were quite young back then

The book said they where taught by other alicorns at some point. Their parents may have been among those alicorns. If I recall, Lauren has always intended for them to be blood siblings, and AKR wrote that book with a lot of Lauren's intentions in mind it seems.

• Brohoof 1

Well, the series introduced them as sisters and the series still says that they're sisters, so why shouldn't they be sisters?

The theory helds no ground whatsoever and is just fanon.

Edited by Hypnosparkle
  • Brohoof 1

My OC Mesme Rize: >https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/mesme-rize-r8777

img-31596-1-img-31596-1-msg-34233-0-90052000-1465262037.jpg

Thank you Randimaxis for this Wonderful Avatar. smile.png

Please, don't be afraid to talk to me. I am not as unapproachable, as you might think.

I believe that Luna and Celestia are no doubt biological sisters, or there would've been some clue evidence that Luna would have got in the alicorn club because she earned it. I say Luna because of the fact she is the youngest or the two sisters. But who's to say that if it was true that they weren't sisters, would that mean Celestia gained ascendance from the previous princess? Regarding ascendance with both Twilight and Cadence, I want to believe alicorns are made by magic...but if you want to get technical, it could be possible to produce an alicorn through genetics. I'm confused now. ._.
Lol

ℓ٥ﻻ  ﻉ√٥υ

while I have no reason to agree with this theory, I understand the idea behind it.  :)  Could make for some interesting storytelling  :P

boop.png

---< Fanfic Writer, Music Maker, Film Director and Voice Actor  >---

Don't expect anything incredible though! :D

Yeah, it's possible. But even if they weren't, they might as well be with how long they have been together for (not including banishment time) I read a story once, can't for the life of me remember what it was about; but in it Celestia was a unicorn who had ascended, and was used as a figure head by the unicorns, around the time when Princess Platinum was alive. Luna was originally a pegasus, who once she had ascended was kicked out of the pegasi kingdom, and sent to the unicorns, where she met Celestia.

At least that's how I remember how it went, it was pretty good and believable. I also want to point out that Lauren Faust had once mentioned that Luna had her own castle, which leads me to believe there's a real possibility that they aren't related. Although, that's old news, and since she isn't working on the show anymore, it's been made obsolete.

To be fair to the OP, we technically have never gotten canon confirmation that the two are biological sisters; that said, nothing we've seen in their behavior towards each other has suggested that they're anything other than biological sisters, so I'm going to say that Celestia and Luna are more than likely biological sisters as I've always thought they were.  Still, it's a curious notion to be sure; way to think outside the box Denim&Venom!  :)

CDFuh.gif

"You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the dogs on me. Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes... cupcakes aren't good enough. Sometimes ponies deserve more. Sometimes ponies deserve to have their faith rewarded... with muffins!!!"

-The Muffin Mare

An interesting theory and very certainly possible. However, I believe them to be biological sisters simply due to the fact that the two of them have waving manes and tails while Cadance and Twilight don't.

I agree that they are biological sisters, but I don't think the mane proves that.  In Twilight's Kingdom Part 2 when Twilight Sparkle is given the other 3 alicorn's power she temporarily has a flowing starry mane.

The simple answer is normally the most correct so I agree with the consensus that they are biological sisters. That's not the issue. What we need to see is their past and origins shown more directly. We saw them in Princess Twilight Sparkle exactly as they appear now, which is a shame. Making them look visibly younger and inexperienced would have been fun for fans and good for Twilight to see.

Edited by Nature's Spell

Princess Twilight Sparkle: Princess of Friendship

Princess Luna: Princess of the Night

My short stories