Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 4 Discord and Tirek

A Joe in the Bush

In the Season 4 Finale, Tirek convinces Discord to join with him to conquer Equestria. Why did Discord accept? He still has all the power of Chaos at his command, and he knows the Elements are gone. He could have conquered Equestria by himself as he did in the Season 2 Opener. So why join Tirek?

• Brohoof 1

Maybe he was scared that the Mane 6 would still find a way to beat him and turn him back to stone. He probably would of thought of aiding Tirek and once they were fully in power he could take out Tirek as well and he would be the last one standing.

All of this could have happened if it weren't for Fluttershy though.

• Brohoof 2

Temptation. It just shows that the most chatoic being in the universe can succumb to the pitfalls of being tempted by something he's always had a problem with: power and control

He said he thought Tirek would give him his loyalty and trust.

Something everyone else besides Fluttershy was having trouble giving him

I think you hit the nail on the head pretty well here. Discord didn't really have "friends", he had one "friend". Twilight never paid much attention to him, but she did seem to try and give him a little benefit of the doubt. All of the others were very vocal about their distrust of him. Especially Rainbow. When Tirek first proposed the team-up, Discord did have to actually think for a bit, and ultimately decided that even the only real friend he had wasn't enough to outway the four who refused to give him a chance, and that the chance to become the lord of chaos again was too good to pass up.

Because having a friend was higher on his "important" list than taking over Equestria.

Fluttershy offered him Friendship without having power. Tirek offered him both. It was an easy calculation for him if he didn't expect betrayal.

(edited)

Even though he did not accept it, Discord still wanted to rule... but still also wanted friendship along side of it.. 

He saw this as his opportunity after Tirek gave him the "gift", and believed that he was getting what he wanted... A friend, and power to rule. 

Then he was betrayed. 

Edited by Evil Rarity

All of this could have happened if it weren't for Fluttershy though.

Aye, Fluttershy has an incredible impact on Discord. She's like the only one who would go out of her way to be his friend, and its things like that that warm my heart. But after Twilight's Kingdom, I wonder where the two stand. I'm sure we'll find out though.

There's still plenty of theories with that exactly Discord was doing with Tirek the whole time. Some think he was actually going back to his roots, while some think he knew what was going on the entire time, which is what I like to think. Discord isn't as dumb as he looks, and I really do think he appreciated the magic of friendship and what it has to offer for him. Someone really needs to ask Meghan this stuff, haha.

Tirek somehow convinces Discord that friendship is 'a new form of imprisonment', so he turns back evil then. Clearly Celestia counted on it to happen... otherwise, Twilight would not have been able to get the final harmony key from forgiving him to defeat Tirek with #superfriendshipmagic, thus earning her the Princess of Friendship title. Eeyup. :wacko:

Discord wasn't fully reformed at this point, and he figured having a powerful Tirek on his side would make them unstoppable. He still had illusions of grandeur when he joined him.