Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight's older sister theory

Bryght Knowledge

I have a theory about Starlight Glimmer from Cutie Map, and it may or may not be a crazy one.

Starlight Glimmer is Twilight's older sister who was exiled from the family, because she did something so bad and unforgivable.

The reason that Twilight doesn't recognize Starlight is because their parents used a memory erase spell on Twilight when she was a young foal. And Starlight's twin Shining Armor was sworn to absolute secrecy to never reveal this secret.

• Brohoof 4

Or they could have used a memory erase spell on Shining too.

Hell, it may have happened before Twilight was born.

Though it would require all records of Starlight to be destroyed, lest Twilight find them accidentally.

• Brohoof 3

No worse than the headcanons that say Trixie is Twilight's sister, but I think it's only likely to be a headcanon. They sprang a sibling on us once already.

Starlight has the mane and tail color palette that is so very similar to Twilight's and Twilight's mother.

Twilight's mother (Twilight Velvet) and Starlight have similar looks, but that could be a happenstance...

post-32783-0-87429800-1432538097.png

post-32783-0-56951700-1432538139_thumb.png

(edited)

Actually, it's a little bit more than that. Outside their color palette, they're not only both unicorns with advanced magical proficiency and similar cutie marks, their personal missions are the same: spread harmony throughout Equestria. The major difference is how they went about it; Twilight Sparkle is doing it through Friendship, while Starlight Glimmer is doing it through fear.

All in all, I don't think it's a bad theory, just an unlikely one. You had me completely lost at the memory wiping thing, though.

Edited by Corona de Adamas
  • Brohoof 1

IMO, it's possible but unlikely.  If she was also older than Shining Armor, you might not even need the Memory Erasure spell, Twilight could have been so young & the events so long ago that neither recognized the other.

As to "Why hasn't Twilight ever mentioned this?"  Hey, she never mentioned her brother before Canterlot Wedding.  Apparently she just doesn't talk much about her family.

In short, good idea for a fanfic, unlikely to ever be canon.

sig-3786645.132792950858.gif

I seriously doubt it.  I mean, c'mon, how did you even come up with that Idea??????

The same way many shippings are born in this fandom  :toldya:

• Brohoof 2

Eh, this theory really doesn't hold with me. Twi and Glimmer being sisters doesn't really hold if you think about it, but I will read fanfiction about it gladly.

But one could say Shimmer and Velvet are sisters and THAT holds up so much better as we know barely anything about Twilight's family and history.

Eh, this theory really doesn't hold with me. Twi and Glimmer being sisters doesn't really hold if you think about it, but I will read fanfiction about it gladly.

But one could say Shimmer and Velvet are sisters and THAT holds up so much better as we know barely anything about Twilight's family and history.

"There is no escape! Don't make me destroy you. Twilight, you do not yet realize your importance. You've only begun to discover your power! Join me, and I will complete your training! With our combined magic, we can end this destructive inequality and bring harmony to Equestria!"

:wacko:  I'll never join you!

"If only you knew the power of sameness. Twilight Velvet never told you what happened to your aunt."

:wacko: She told me enough! She told me you equalized her!

"No, I am your aunt."

:o No. No! That's not true! That's impossible!

"Search your feelings; you know it to be true!"

:o NOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOO!!!

• Brohoof 3

"There is no escape! Don't make me destroy you. Twilight, you do not yet realize your importance. You've only begun to discover your power! Join me, and I will complete your training! With our combined magic, we can end this destructive inequality and bring harmony to Equestria!"

:wacko:  I'll never join you!

"If only you knew the power of sameness. Twilight Velvet never told you what happened to your aunt."

:wacko: She told me enough! She told me you equalized her!

"No, I am your aunt."

:o No. No! That's not true! That's impossible!

"Search your feelings; you know it to be true!"

:o NOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOO!!!

I wish this could be in an episode. Sadly, mlp isn't a show full of epic twists and turns like that.

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, titanhades70 said:

Starlight is actually way younger than Twilight. 

We can't say that for sure. I'd like it better that way tho.

Spoiler

In season 8 we get an episode with Starlights parents, so this theory is invalid now. :dash: