spoiler Vinyl Scratch's canonical characterization (so far)

Dark Qiviut

(edited)

WARNING: Season 5/Episode 100 spoilers!

Vinyl Scratch is one of the most popular background characters in the fandom. Back when she debuted in Suited for Success, her eccentric hair style, cream-colored fur, and big shades turned her into an instant trademark for this fandom. With Octavia appearing in The Best Night Ever, TaviScratch was born.

Since the Rainbow Rocks musical shorts, her characterization has flesh out a bit more, and Episode 100's apparently doing the same. Rainbow Rocks presented her as a character who communicates with music or gestures. Even though she talked in the background, she's always silent in the fore.

New trailer from Episode 100. MAJOR spoiler! Thoughts under the "spoiler" tag.

In the latest trailer, while she and Octavia were orchestrating, Vinyl doesn't talk. Instead, she lets the music do all the talking.

There's speculation that they didn't do this because of how famous Nowhacking's Vinyl voice is, but that's all it is. In fact, it's incredibly disrespectful of the people who use this reason because they're taking the fandom for granted: They won't care as long as the voice works for her. Personally, I think this works really well. Rather than relying on expository dialogue that plagues this series, the audience is shown what she thinks or acts. How? Through her music, poses, and style. If you can make a character strong without having her speak, then the character becomes quite memorable. Vinyl's lack of dialogue makes her stand out beyond her character design.

So what are your thoughts about Vinyl's current canonical characterization? Do you think it works? Why or why not?

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Wait whaat? Yeah but...In the fan animations, Vinyl DOES talk courtesy of Nowacking of course! Hasbro should have gotten Nowacking in the first place! And I don't like Vinyl's current canonical characterization.

Edited by MAIKUN
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
Hasbro should have gotten Nowacking in the first place!

Nowacking has said that if she's given the application to voice Vinyl or any other character officially, she'll turn it down. She's extremely dedicated to this fandom, and becoming an official VA means she won't be allowed to be a part of any fan projects.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

"If I don't get a voice in Episode 100 I swear to Luna somepony is going to the moon, of a planet in the next Galaxy."

I prefer her to be mute. I mentioned in some other post last week "Pon3 speaks with her hooves" what I failed to mention was that was a reference to an old LL Cool J song (I can't remember which one, its on the one with "can't live without my radio" might even be that song) anyway, right before the break LL says "Cut Creator (that was LLs DJs name) speaks with his hands" then Cut Creator proceeds to do an extended scratch sequence.

I also have a DVD of a Fatboy Slim performance on Brighton beach where he communicates with the audience by writing on cards with a sharpie, and holding it up to a camera, for it to be seen on the video wall behind him. Deadmou5 dose'nt speak, Daft Punk dose'nt speak, DJ Pon3 dose'nt speak. I think it makes perfect sense for her to be mute. I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever say to a DJ " shut up and play music". However, I have heard that yelled at musicians on stage.

• Brohoof 1

Nowacking has said that if she's given the application to voice Vinyl or any other character officially, she'll turn it down. She's extremely dedicated to this fandom, and becoming an official VA means she won't be allowed to be a part of any fan projects.

This is getting ridiculous in there. .I mean Nowacking was extremely dedicated to this fandom, and becoming an official VA means she won't be allowed to be a part of any fan projects. Well, under the JCFTA (Joint Collaboration Free Trade Agreement) act, she can be an official VA and still be allowed to a part of any fan projects too! The whole JCFTA thing was MY idea, this should be accepted into the Senate by the Congress!

This is getting ridiculous in there. .I mean Nowacking was extremely dedicated to this fandom, and becoming an official VA means she won't be allowed to be a part of any fan projects. Well, under the [/size]JCFTA (Joint Collaboration Free Trade Agreement) act, she can be an official VA and still be allowed to a part of any fan projects too! The whole JCFTA thing was MY idea, this should be accepted into the Senate by the Congress![/size]

I'm pretty sure the government isn't what is keeping voice actors from any show from participating in unofficial outside projects depicting the same character. No, it's a private contract,between the voice talent and the studio that owns the character. The voice actors agree not to use the voice to depict the character, which is owned by the studio, in media not approved by the studio. They're not just doing it to be dicks. They are protecting their property by having control of how their character is being depicted. I also think Jessie is making the right decision here. While having a credit on a show like MLP would probably be a nice thing to have on a resume, how often would they actually use her to voice Vinyl? Once, maybe twice. Would it be a whole days work? Would she have to join aa voice actors guild? Then she'd be paying dues, and not be getting much work.

• Brohoof 3

Honestly. I think Vinyl's better without a voice, and the people demanding that she have one are being greedy. DHX has already given the character screen time in a movie- where she helps to save the day, in fact (pretty big role, if you ask me), and a chunky piece of screen time with the fanfapp favorite ship, Octavia, in episode 100, because the fans like it. Giving her a voice ( specifically Nowaking's) is asking for way too much, considering all that DHX has done with Vinyl so far, and she's better off without one, if Derpygate is anything to go by.

It's cooler that an artist like Vinyl speaks through het music and body language anyway. Actions speak louder than words

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I don't mind Vinyl being mute. It's pretty cool actually. :D I've always liked the idea that she uses music to express herself, and I've never been a fan of her over-the-top fanon personality, so I think this is a very interesting direction for her character. Plus, I'm not really a fan of Nowacking's Vinyl voice.

To be honest, I don't think I would have been to fussed either way though. I'm not big on background ponies.

Edited by Salacberry
  • Brohoof 1

I have always enjoyed the fandom representations of Vinyl, and Nowackings voice for her, but I could definitely be onboard with the idea that Vinyl is actually a mute and has to use music to express herself.  So far I am liking what I am seeing in terms of canonical characterization for Vinyl.

• Brohoof 1

There's something that struck me as odd about this recent "teaser clip" with Octavia and Vinyl, now that I've watched it a few more times. The way its set up is more like the Rainbow Rocks shorts- there's no tv announcer, no advertising which episode the scene is supposed to be in, no announced hour the episode will air..... That third clip has the little MLPFIM quick title card, and kinda ends exactly like the EQG shorts, so, yeah. I wouldn't expect that scene to actually be in the 100th episode

Sneaky, sneaky DHX/Hasbro :)

• Brohoof 1

There's something that struck me as odd about this recent "teaser clip" with Octavia and Vinyl, now that I've watched it a few more times. The way its set up is more like the Rainbow Rocks shorts- there's no tv announcer, no advertising which episode the scene is supposed to be in, no announced hour the episode will air..... That third clip has the little MLPFIM quick title card, and kinda ends exactly like the EQG shorts, so, yeah. I wouldn't expect that scene to actually be in the 100th episode

Sneaky, sneaky DHX/Hasbro :)

It could be in the Directors Cut, which could be 100 minutes.

(My wishful thinking is showing)

• Brohoof 1

I'm alright with Vinyl being mute but if she ever does talk, her voice actor better sound like Nowhacking does when she does Vinyl's voice.

This or she will no longer be in my top 10 list

i would like it if she actually has a canon voice

maybe hasbro has big plans for her she has official short clips dedicated to her and an upcoming album

• Brohoof 1

My thoughts on the whole affair is they decided to make her mute specifically because Nowacking refused the role. It seems to work alright, she has an eclectic personality and has been pretty amusing in the stuff she and her human counterpart has shown up in. Its different than her fanon self, but still fun.