Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Do you think Vinyl Scratch is mute?

Unity

She is seen talking to Octavia in "A Hearth's Warming Tail" (at the 19:08 mark), though her voice isn't heard. Then again, it's in a story told by Twilight so it might not count...

Spoiler

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn’t mind in the least if she was. Gives some cool insight into her passion for music. She may not be able to express herself with words, but she doesn’t need to.

But it’s interesting as well if she’s just an abnormally quiet pony that likes REALLY LOUD MUSIC!!

3 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

She is seen talking to Octavia in "A Hearth's Warming Tail" (at the 19:08 mark), though her voice isn't heard. Then again, it's in a story told by Twilight so it might not count...

Hide contents

EDIT: Oh, ho!! I had never seen that! I retract my previous comment then!

It is possible to be mute and mouth words, but Vinyl isn’t doing any kind of signing. She can definitely talk. She’s just very selective about it. You’re right in that it is just a story from Twilight, but animators still made her mouth move.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

17 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Oh, ho!! I had never seen that! I retract my previous comment then!

It is possible to be mute and mouth words, but Vinyl isn’t doing any kind of signing. She can definitely talk. She’s just very selective about it. You’re right in that it is just a story from Twilight, but animators still made her mouth move.

It's quite easy to miss. I just found another one that I didn't know about just a few minutes ago. Her Equestria Girls version is also seen talking in "Legend of Everfree"! The scene is at 11:49 into the film.

Spoiler

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Tacodidra said:

It's quite easy to miss. I just found another one that I didn't know about just a few minutes ago. Her Equestria Girls version is also seen talking in "Legend of Everfree"! The scene is at 11:49 into the film.

Very interesting. I personally think if someone wants to roll with the idea that she’s mute, it’s a totally valid headcanon idea. But from what you’ve shown, I get the feeling that the creators think Vinyl is capable of speech.

Maybe she’s selectively mute like Link from Legend of Zelda.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 years later...

After the way Scootaloo's wings were handled (all evidence points to the creative team wanting to have themselves a disabled character, but the execs not wanting that), I never would have suspected that Vinyl was meant to be mute.

Plus we never saw her communicating non-verbally (say, via writing) as one would expect for a mute individual.

I think that's primarily the thing. Much like "Derpy" Hooves, it'd be one of those situations where the show's writers would be all like "Oh. Yeah, that would make for a good character. We'll see if we can play along with that." While I can't say no one ever has tried to write or animate a mute character, I do doubt many have experience in how the life of one would be like. Don't want to risk offending anyone when some uppity viewer thinks real mute people don't sign aaall the time like that.

But no, I think the main gag is that it's a kind of Big Mac/ Silent Bob shtick. That Vinyl is just a cool character with a slow paced demeanor that she usually just lets everypony else talk and get on with their drama before she cares enough to talk. I'm thinking the hunderth episode where Time Turner got all up in her sunglasses and it really seemed like she was just letting him burn out his blabbity so she could just point his way off and go on with her day.

Though In My Headcannon, she was born minorly deaf. If I recall right, those who're deaf can talk, but not do so with any accuracy as they haven't heard the words to learn them or can hear themselves talk. Vinyl can tell when others talk, but dampened so much its barely discernable. That's why she choose a deep sort of music you can feel deep in your muscles and bones and she wants to share that experience with others, communicate through the Dubstep. There's been stuff into that, specialty electronica music that you can hear deeply within ya even if there's ear problems. Real therapy music. Where you can go to clubs, have the same experience every'un else does even if you're hearing or mentally impared.

Like, the dubstep sinks into your Being, Brah!~

...can you tell i'm a CallyBoi?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...