Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

request In need of a production team!

Rqsky

(edited)

Hello everypony! My name is Boosh! I think I have an idea for a fan made series of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I don't have a full detailed plot lined out, like I said before, but I have a general idea of how I would like the series to run. That being said, I would need a team who would be willing to help me make my dream a reality. I am still looking for a title for the series.

Please send all samples to my Skype @ booshthebrony.

In need of:

Voice Actors

Animators/Background artists

Script writers

Musicians

Thanks for your consideration and I hope to hear from y'all soon! /)

Edited by BooshTheBrony
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I would be willing to help with the music portion, if needed. Due to past projects, I am not willing to commit to helping with project until it is well underway.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, but the hardest part for your project is probably getting animators. Also, you need to make sure that you aren't going to step on the actual show's toes and get into a legal mess.

The fandom does appreciate your creativity though, and so do I. I encourage you to continue with this (within legal bounds)  :)

Edited by Sudo Krenton
  • Brohoof 1

I would be willing to help with the music portion, if needed. Due to past projects, I am not willing to commit to helping with project until it is well underway.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, but the hardest part for your project is probably getting animators. Also, you need to make sure that you aren't going to step on the actual show's toes and get into a legal mess.

The fandom does appreciate your creativity though, and so do I. I encourage you to continue with this (within legal bounds)  :)

Yeah, the animators is what I'm afraid of right now.

Can I ask you one question? 

How are you going to get permission from Hasbro?

I'm not worried about that right now.

If you're serious about this project then you should. I can guarantee you that Hasbro would be quick  to sue you if you tried to make this project. 
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

You should be at the very least cognizant that you do need permission, and it's not easy.

The last project I was in wasted eight months. Granted, the majority of the time, the script was being written, so nothing else could be done, but it wasn't even close to how the actual show's story was run (darker and more violent). The only way it was similar was through the fact that we had the mane 6, that we were going to use the elements of harmony, and that we wanted it to look similar to the show as possible animation-wise.

So, my advice is do be worried, or at least mindful. If you have a script done, and the approval from Hasbro, you'll have a much easier time finding people to help than if you didn't. Speaking from experience, and from what others have told me.... and you wouldn't have wasted months of other people's time who are waiting to help.

Edited by Sudo Krenton
  • Brohoof 1

If you're serious about this project then you should. I can guarantee you that Hasbro would be quick  to sue you if you tried to make this project. 

If you don't put MLP in the title, have your own plot and settings, your own line of characters, and you're not making money from it which I'm not, then I don't think I need to contact Hasbro...this is going to be a YouTube series, not aired on TV

• Brohoof 2

If you don't put MLP in the title, have your own plot and settings, your own line of characters, and you're not making money from it which I'm not, then I don't think I need to contact Hasbro...this is going to be a YouTube series, not aired on TV

That sounds about right. Still, you should say something "Inspired by My Little Pony" or something like that, just to be safe and to give credit for the character style (which is about the only thing I'm assuming will be similar). Also, I may be able to help with music... But I can't work on this for another 4 months or more. If you really need somepony to help out with music, I'll be around after summer at some point. :) Good luck! Hope you can get something out there!

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, good luck with that. If this is gonna be a spin off then you're going to need permission.

That sounds about right. Still, you should say something "Inspired by My Little Pony" or something like that, just to be safe and to give credit for the character style (which is about the only thing I'm assuming will be similar). Also, I may be able to help with music... But I can't work on this for another 4 months or more. If you really need somepony to help out with music, I'll be around after summer at some point. :) Good luck! Hope you can get something out there!

Thanks! But won't saying "Inspired by My Little Pony" give Hasbro a red flag?

Yeah, good luck with that. If this is gonna be a spin off then you're going to need permission.

I shouldn't have said "spin off" then, sorry.

I shouldn't have said "spin off" then, sorry.
 No, you shouldn't have. 

Here's a random fact. Hasbro has copyrighted cutie marks so good luck with using ponies that has a cutie mark.

Thanks! But won't saying "Inspired by My Little Pony" give Hasbro a red flag?

Not talking from experience here, but I can't see why. If someone watches your video, and sees that, then they may go check out the show. It's like advertising or recommending (the better word of the two). If anything, you'd just be helping them out... A little bit of course.

Oh, yes. The cutie mark thing... You will need to come up with an excuse for that one. Or just ask permission. Persmission in this case would be best.

(edited)

Just because it doesn't say MLP in the title, doesn't mean your safe. If you are using 100% complete original characters (no use of twilight, spike, etc, etc) you may have a better time off, but if you are still using the same style of animation, you're still running on the tightrope. It's better to ask and be told "No" than to walk around thinking you have it in the bag when you actually don't. 

If you're doing it for comedic purposes (and I mean comedic as in making fun of the show) then you do not necessarily need their permission. But from what you've said, it would appear not, therefore, you will undoubtedly need it at some point.

Edited by Sudo Krenton
  • Brohoof 2

Just because it doesn't say MLP in the title, doesn't mean your safe. If you are using 100% complete original characters (no use of twilight, spike, etc, etc) you may have a better time off, but if you are still using the same style of animation, you're still running on the tightrope. It's better to ask and be told "No" than to walk around thinking you have it in the bag when you actually don't. 

If you're doing it for comedic purposes (and I mean comedic as in making fun of the show) then you do not necessarily need their permission. But from what you've said, it would appear not, therefore, you will undoubtedly need it at some point.

So if I have the same style of technicolored equnies, but original characters I still need permission?

(edited)

I know this isn't the main point of the thread, but I found it worth responding to:

No, you shouldn't have. 

Here's a random fact. Hasbro has copyrighted cutie marks so good luck with using ponies that has a cutie mark.

First, a disclaimer. I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Anyway...

As far as I know, only the phrase "cutie mark" is trademarked.

If this is true, that would mean you can put pictures on a toy horse's flank as long as you don't call it a cutie mark. Just call it a butt symbol or something. ^_^

Another non-government website says that the trademark expired, anyway.

To respond to BooshTheBrony, this link may be useful, though I doubt any of the people in the discussion are lawyers.

https://github.com/erkin/ponysay/issues/214

Edited by GrepPIEtas
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

If your intent is to make a show out of it... which it would appear to be so....

I have an idea for a fan made series

Then yes. @Gestum has been 100% correct as well with what he has been saying. There's a lot involved in what you're trying to do.

Let me clarify my earlier stance on helping out. I will not assist until there is approval, and that you have animators. I do not wish to be part of something that will potentially flop, as I have more things to do in life.

Edited by Sudo Krenton

I know this isn't the main point of the thread, but I found it worth responding to:

First, a disclaimer. I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Anyway...

As far as I know, only the phrase "cutie mark" is trademarked.

If this is true, that would mean you can put pictures on a toy horse's flank as long as you don't call it a cutie mark. Just call it a butt symbol or something. ^_^

Another non-government website says that the trademark expired, anyway.

So, I'm good then? I don't need permission from Hasrbo? I will make original characters, plot, settings, and it'll be a non profit.

So, I'm good then? I don't need permission from Hasrbo? I will make original characters, plot, settings, and it'll be a non profit.

My post only had to do with whether or not the phrase "cutie mark" was trademarked or not, and if that applied to the mark on the pony itself. Again, I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice, so you shouldn't take what I'm saying as inerrant.

Also, I amended my previous post with a link I think may be useful.

Hey! I'd be able to provide some voices! I can do Granny Smith, Pinkie, Apple Bloom, Applejack and Fluttershy, plus I was the Apple Bloom in this video, though I've since gotten a better mic. Let me know if I can be of any help!

and it'll be a non profit.

The project that I was in that got denied was non-profit as well. Just saying.

So, I'm good then? I don't need permission from Hasrbo?

That was just on the term and usage of "cutie mark."

There is no harm asking for permission, there is harm in not asking.

• Brohoof 1

The project that I was in that got denied was non-profit as well. Just saying.

That was just on the term and usage of "cutie mark."

There is no harm asking for permission, there is harm in not asking.

So I should just go ahead and ask anyway?

So I should just go ahead and ask anyway?

Yes, but only do so when you have a firm understanding of where you want the show to go, what it will look like, and the basis of the story. 

Yes, but only do so when you have a firm understanding of where you want the show to go, what it will look like, and the basis of the story. 

Could you PM me over this please? You seem to know a lot about this kinda stuff

(edited)

Could you PM me over this please? You seem to know a lot about this kinda stuff

You would probably be better going to this person and PMing him, as he was the person who I was helping with last. He would most likely be able to share his knowledge on what you will need to do to request something from Hasbro, as well as give feedback on what you're doing.

This is the "would have been show" that he wrote: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/252147/my-little-pony-the-day-equestria-stood-still

Edited by Sudo Krenton