Should Spike be written out of FiM?

Rocky

(edited)

Go with me on this idea for a Spike Spinoff show if Spike was written out of FiM.

Wanting to know who is and what he's meant to do for Equestria, Spike leaves his assistant position for Twilight and goes out into the world. He will discover that there's a lost dragon empire outside of Equestria that could give him the answers he's been looking for. So he set out on a show arc journey for this empire. Meeting some colorful characters along the way while learning some things about himself. I'm thinking they could somewhat copy the mane six formula and have five other friends but each being a different species. Like one Earth Pony, One Pegasus, One Unicorn, One gryphon, and one changeling. He would meet each one by one and find out that Spike has something in common with all of them. To the point where they join Spike on his journey. 

That's my rough draft of it anyway. The six could be reduced to say two other dragons who also live amongst ponies. I think that this kind of spinoff can finally take Spike's character in the right direction and give him some maturity and physical growth. 

Edited by Rocky

I really do like your idea, but I do think he should be written off because you just watch the finale is just shrug him for not ever being born. Heck, even the writers admitted  they dont know how to write him. So I do think that Spike is the odd character out the group that serves no point anymore.

I think his departure episode should happen soon. Im sorry I want to like him, but be honest people how many good Spike episodes do we have actually. Every time he has an episode the following happens

1. Make Spike one or combination of the following, bonus points for all 3: Make him idiotic, less likeable, and/or identifiable 

2. Make him go through a story arch that he already been through, break some characters in order to make happen if possible 

3. Never reference the lesson learned 

The pattern works 

So yeah, I want the writers make Spike leave the main cast because we already have his replacement Moonlight ..think about it. 

(edited)

I do believe Spike could be written better than just serving as a funny sentient mailbox.

But think about it, though. Wouldn't it be great if he had his own show where he made his own friends and got a chance to discover new things about himself? He can't do that in FiM. There's just no time for him with the mane six and CMCs needing to have their character arcs roll. I mean if you had to choose, would you rather for Spike to be kind of developed in FiM or be developed to his full potential in a spinoff show where Spike interacts with other dragons?

Edited by Rocky

Aww, poor Spike :/ I agree that most Spike-focused eps (though not all!) have not been great, but I would miss him if he was written out of the show - especially his relationship with Twilight. He's a great supporting character in many episodes though, and not just for comic relief, so I admit I'd probably be fine if he was still around but we never had another Spike-centric ep the way they've been written so far...

I wonder if the writers struggle with Spike because he doesn't have an obvious "goal", like the M6 or CMC? But I think there are lots of directions they could take with his character that they've hinted at before, but never IMO gotten quite right - Dragon Quest, for example, had some interesting potential for Spike to be ~figuring out who he is and his place in the world as a dragon living with ponies, but then they kinda messed up by making all the other dragons one-dimensional jerks, so it would be nice to have Spike meet some dragons who weren't all assholes (I enjoyed the Spike/Luna Friends Forever comic for this reason). I think ideally, they should write Spike a bit like the CMC - still young and making mistakes/doing dumb stuff sometimes, but actually learning from them, which he never seems to, and learning to appreciate his own talents/uniqueness more while fitting in with the ponies, I think would be fitting with the theme of the show. And it would be nice to see more of Spike interacting with others, rather than being left on his own to inevitably mess up which most Spike eps seem to be – a Spike/CMC teamup ep could be fun, Spike/Celestia or Spike/Luna (again inspired by the IDW comics) or even Spike/Big Mac since we know they hang out now! I'm sure some sort of plot point could be made out of Spike's mailbox ability, or some situation where they require a dragon, or...literally anything that isn't "local dragon ruins everything" (sorry :lol: ) .

But yeah - even if decent Spike eps are just too much to ask, I don't think they should write him out of the show. I think he's a good supporting character and his relationship with Twilight is just too sweet to lose :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

Aww, poor Spike :/ I agree that most Spike-focused eps (though not all!) have not been great, but I would miss him if he was written out of the show - especially his relationship with Twilight. He's a great supporting character in many episodes though, and not just for comic relief, so I admit I'd probably be fine if he was still around but we never had another Spike-centric ep the way they've been written so far...

I wonder if the writers struggle with Spike because he doesn't have an obvious "goal", like the M6 or CMC? But I think there are lots of directions they could take with his character that they've hinted at before, but never IMO gotten quite right - Dragon Quest, for example, had some interesting potential for Spike to be ~figuring out who he is and his place in the world as a dragon living with ponies, but then they kinda messed up by making all the other dragons one-dimensional jerks, so it would be nice to have Spike meet some dragons who weren't all assholes (I enjoyed the Spike/Luna Friends Forever comic for this reason). I think ideally, they should write Spike a bit like the CMC - still young and making mistakes/doing dumb stuff sometimes, but actually learning from them, which he never seems to, and learning to appreciate his own talents/uniqueness more while fitting in with the ponies, I think would be fitting with the theme of the show. And it would be nice to see more of Spike interacting with others, rather than being left on his own to inevitably mess up which most Spike eps seem to be – a Spike/CMC teamup ep could be fun, Spike/Celestia or Spike/Luna (again inspired by the IDW comics) or even Spike/Big Mac since we know they hang out now! I'm sure some sort of plot point could be made out of Spike's mailbox ability, or some situation where they require a dragon, or...literally anything that isn't "local dragon ruins everything" (sorry :lol: ) .

But yeah - even if decent Spike eps are just too much to ask, I don't think they should write him out of the show. I think he's a good supporting character and his relationship with Twilight is just too sweet to lose :adorkable:

I already said this, but they could show his dreams. 

I could see Spike dreaming of becoming a world-famous chef.

I already said this, but they could show his dreams. 

I could see Spike dreaming of becoming a world-famous chef.

Maybe he could dig more into his over the top Spike form. Maybe he wants to be a knight someday but there's legit reasons behind it.

• Brohoof 2

or even Spike/Big Mac since we know they hang out now!

Brohoofed you for finding a formula worthy enough for a spin-off serie. Bros before h*censored*s.

Edited by Limeblossom

I really don't see what everyone complains about. I love spike, and I don't find his episodes all that bad.

Him and Twilight are attached by the hip. It would be weird without him there with her...

• Brohoof 1

I must be the only one who was okay with Princess Spike.

He should be more the good advisor again. When he becomes a teenager again, he should be like pony.mov-Spike, the swearing and drug addiction excluded, of course. ;)

Edited by Swifty

What do you think when I come up with the theory that it's because of the Cutie Mark Crusaders that Spike hasn't really been developed? As much as I like the CMCs, they technically don't need to exist. And yet fans give them a pass even though Spike has saved the day a few times. 

I actually didn't mind the Spike episodes. Not the best, but at least good. I can see what people are getting at when they say Spike is being pushed into being more of a comic relief character, and personally, I have no problem with that. Because it can be pretty darn funny.

I actually didn't mind the Spike episodes. Not the best, but at least good. I can see what people are getting at when they say Spike is being pushed into being more of a comic relief character, and personally, I have no problem with that. Because it can be pretty darn funny.

If MLP:FiM was a typical comedy cartoon, then it would be funny, but it isn't. It's supposed to be teaching lessons about friendship. When a character is abused, used as comic relief and played for laughs the way Spike is, it goes against the message.

• 4 months later...

No way. I mean Spike is excluded from a lot of stuff for whatever reason (he wasn't even at the party in The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows) but I think that's actually more reason to write him more in the stories; he's been missing out, give him a little more spotlight time (preferably where he's not the one who supposedly goofs everything up :/).

No way. I mean Spike is excluded from a lot of stuff for whatever reason (he wasn't even at the party in The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows) but I think that's actually more reason to write him more in the stories; he's been missing out, give him a little more spotlight time (preferably where he's not the one who supposedly goofs everything up :/).

Maybe tea parties are just too girly for him

• Brohoof 1