Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLPforums theme song idea

Scribblegroove

Hey everyone!

I've recently posted a blog entry in which I showed a simple and quickly recorded version of my idea for an MLPforums theme song! I thought people might be interested to see what I'm working on, so I decided to share it here as well.

https://mlpforums.com/blog/2127/entry-17561-mlpforums-theme-song-idea/

I'm still thinking about the lyrics, and I'd love to see if some of you have suggestions for it.

Critique on the music is very welcome, but keep in mind that the recording quality is bad because I did it with my phone. Considering it's a phone recording I think it's pretty good!

I'll make sure to release some sheet music and a longer version with maybe a bridge or a longer verse soon. I'll be posting it here and on said blog, so if you want to stay tuned go ahead and follow my blog. I'd be very grateful if you did. I also will be posting other projects there, which will be more than just live shitty live recordings, but also high quality gigs with my band and some FL studio works.

• Brohoof 2

I like it, but that first melody...I think you're repeating it a little too much. Perhaps if you repeat it, maybe use octaves. In addition in the progression you're doing which is vi-ii-IV-V-I, you can maybe shuffle the middle chords around a bit to add a little variance

Like:

vi-IV-ii-V-I

Or, you could perform a ii-V mountain climb like this

vi-IV-ii-V-iii-VI7-ii-V-I...

For the bridge, I suggest working around the ii and the IV chords, for they are interchangeable and work really well on the bridge, but make sure you end the bridge on a resolution chord like the V or the vii. 

That's all I have for now. 

Edited by C. Thunder Dash

(edited)

@@C. Thunder Dash

I've messed around with your suggestion, and I've found that going from F (V) to B flat (I) doesn't really sound right. However, I did come up with this for a variation on the chorus melody:

vi-IV-ii-V (Returning to vi-ii-iV-V-iii (Gm7-C7-Ebmaj7-F-D7) after the V)

I'm not sure if you're aware, and I myself don't know the specifics of the theories behind it just yet, but because of the use off jazz chords and mainly dominant the tonic is in a constant state of fluctuation. It's not always B flat the melody 'wants' to return to. Although I don't know that much about chord schemes outside of jazz, I do know that in most cases the ii-V-I correlations you suggested won't work because I'll have to add in a Bbmaj7, and that doesn't sound right (C7-Fmaj7-Bbmaj7) cause it causes friction with 

During the bridge interchaing the Eb7 and C7 works well, but it's also the way to make the chords progress back into the chorus. At least to my ears it is. 

To be honest with things song I've mostly just listened to what sounds right, but due to that I'm confused as to what is what. Maybe it's because I'm tired and overlooking something simple and stupid, but your ideas don't really seem to work the way you proposed them. However, they did give me the idea for a few new chord progressions, the results of which I will try to record tomorrow.

Edited by Scribblegroove

• 2 weeks later...