Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Playing with a new style of ponies. Thoughts?

SFyr

30 users have voted

1. 1. Which looks better (in your opinion)?

• Current style (pegasus)
    • New style (earth pony)

So I've been wanting to branch out a little, and try a few new things. This is the first actually finished and visible modification, which I'd like to present as something I just threw together planning-wise. Unfortunately I can't really judge if I'm moving in a positive direction alone, haha.

So yeah. Do y'all have a preference of the two?

Current dominant style:

post-24809-0-94139800-1439930449_thumb.png

Modification:

post-24809-0-89218500-1439930451_thumb.png

• Brohoof 13

Both are very nice, and I really enjoy both of them. However, if I had to choose I would pick the second one. It has a softer feeling to it, and is not as...shiny? I suppose would be the word. Either way, the modification would be my personal preference.

• Brohoof 2

Botf have their strenghts and weaknesesses it depends on what kind of art you want to produce

the older style focuses on fore the coat annd  mane and tail with the little light effects eyes are kinda hiding it is good art

Second style is more pleasin in my eye eyes and hair stand out  more light effect creates the shiny effect and the coat more fluffy I think the second is better

• Brohoof 2

@ and @ooBrony, thanks for the feedback y'all.  ;) I may keep tweaking the second style, but I doubt I'll just phase out the first.

...I kinda wonder if it's be weird to just switch back and forth, or even diverge into others randomly.  :confused:

• Brohoof 1

@ and @ooBrony, thanks for the feedback y'all.  ;) I may keep tweaking the second style, but I doubt I'll just phase out the first.

...I kinda wonder if it's be weird to just switch back and forth, or even diverge into others randomly.  :confused:

That would not be weird at all, dear. You are the artist, so you make the rules on what you wish to do and how you wish to display your talent. Keep tweaking, keep working, keep toying with ideas. These are your creations, and as such you are allowed to change them as much as you wish, or  switch styles as often as you desire.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I love both styles, but I love the newer one more <3 <3 <3. The older one is a bit cuter though, I suggest doing both :)

• Brohoof 2

@@JonasDarkmane and @Snuggle Fiend, thank you both.  :lol: I'm glad to hear they both come off pretty well, regardless.  :)  New one seems slightly more favored overall so far, but it seems like the best thing to do is just be open to both.  :P

• Brohoof 3

@, I appreciate the feedback, especially since you've probably seen more of my art than most, haha.  :lol:

Either way, my thoughts exactly: use both, if neither is clearly better.  :)

Awesome work, Love them both :)

Though there some parts that are good.. and.. umm, not so good..
Both of which can be improved upon.. especially if you merge the two get the best of both ⁿ-ⁿ

I'll post a pros and con thingy for both ;)

Pre-post EDIT: Omg.. had to rewrite this whole thing like.. 3 times because the tab kept closing accidentally and removed my text -_-

Pegasus:

Pros - Great proportions, nice posing, and love the styling of the ears and wings :D

Cons - It seems a little odd the the eyelash in front of the mane.. seems unatural :/

Hmm.. the head seems a little small.. No wait.. the head is fine.. maybe it's the ear that's too big?

Earth pony:

Pros - Omg.. absolutely lloooovvvveee the mane and tail gradient and shading :wub: And the proportions are nearly spot on :D Nice analogous color scheme too :)

Cons - A little too much depth with the fur.. makes the coat seem a little too thick :/ and the eyelash thing again..

Umm.. not much else.. wait.. the back leg's thigh shouldn't be so outwards.. bring it in a little ;)

Pre-post edit: Was curious to see how it'd look without the overlapping eyelashes.. so i edited one in GIMP to see.. though it'd post the result :grin2:

EDIT: Cropped and made as a gif, so it's easier to see..

QPuZ5c7.gif

I personally think the non eyelash one looks better, but of course it's the artist's decision as to what style they incorporate..

But yeah, keep up the great work :D

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

@, thank you so much for the detailed response. ;) It really is appreciated. Also, I totally get that the overlapping eye line art looks a bit unnatural (it totally is, haha). I've kinda kept it on as a way to keep the full expression of a character despite hair that covers the face--but I get some or most people might prefer non-overlapped for the more solid look it achieves, haha. :grin2:

Anyways, thanks for pointing that out, and all the rest you've touched on (I'm glad her color scheme came off well too, haha. She was practically thrown together in the moment of drawing). 

@, Thanks! I do not take requests, I'm sorry to say. Not too long ago I fulfilled about 100 as part of a summer challenge I issued to myself. It's safe to say I'm not doing that again for a long time. I appreciate the interest though. ;)  

• Brohoof 1

As many have said I'm fond of both styles, but for different reasons, and if push came to shove and I had to pick only one I'd pick the new one.

In the first style, the colors are relatively flat with only basic cell shading. In the second style, the shading shows off the volumes very well with the judicious use of gradients and soft shadows. Moreover, the thin lines serve that second style very well.

With that said, the first style's phong (what the white highlight line is trying to show) is actually more clear about things. In the second drawing, the simple arc used for the highlight actually kinda flattens out the space it crosses, even though the shading in the mane otherwise is doing an absolutely brilliant job of defining the shape of the hair.

Left to my own devices I'd be prone to suggest that you grandfather your highlight method from the first style into the second (making a jagged line instead of a swoop.) But with that said I'd imagine the first style takes a good measure less time to do (soft shading for me is super time consuming,) so I'd keep it in my back pocket; since a quick style is a powerful tool when you need it.

• Brohoof 1

@@Forward Bias, thanks so much for your collection of thoughts on the matter!  :grin2: I definitely see your point with the shading and highlights; relatedly, if I keep going on the second style, I do think I'll attempt what you suggested, and try to improve the highlights.

Once again, thank you so much!

@@GamerDash2012, thanks man~!  ;)

• Brohoof 1

@@Forward Bias, thanks so much for your collection of thoughts on the matter!  :grin2: I definitely see your point with the shading and highlights; relatedly, if I keep going on the second style, I do think I'll attempt what you suggested, and try to improve the highlights.

Once again, thank you so much!

@@GamerDash2012, thanks man~!  ;)

You're welcome. It looks really nice.  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

I actually like the first one! But there are ways to combine them, you could play around with that. And I don't think you have to stick to one style, you can branch out! Either way, both show that you are very talented, good job! xD

Also the hair on the second is really cool!

Edited by KatieBelle

@@GamerDash2012 and @KatieBelle, thanks y'all!  :) And yeah, combining elements of the two or just continuing to play around does seem to be the way to go in the end~  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Both styles are really nice, but I just love the second one! It looks like it's more detailed and has more depth to it. The shadows and lighting effects are more subtle. It looks like a more mature style. 

• Brohoof 1

@@Baz, thanks for your input! And yeah, of the two the second one is a bit more geared towards detail.  :o Though I think the tradeoff is it's a little less... bold?