Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Applejack bad mannered?

SteveMorison

Seemed to be so in Look Before You Sleep but it's more likely that was just to annoy Rarity. There's also Sisterhooves Social where Applebloom burps after bad manners is mentioned and Applejack just says "exactly" clearly not caring.

If you watch farm people, you'll see they are VERY kind to strangers, but not not so much around family. They figure, "we live with these people. We see alot more of them, then you do". So they are comfirable around their families enough to burp or do some unladylike things..

Plus, nothing beat a farm girl :P

• Brohoof 2

I think there's two manners that could be discussed.  :grin2: She's a bit crass and unrefined, which may be seen as lacking in manners (which is perfectly valid), but at the same time she seems highly considerate and hospitable to others, which can be seen as well-mannered oddly enough.

So... Can I vote she's well-mannered, but not in the traditional sense of what one thinks?  :rarity:

• Brohoof 3

Bad-Mannered?  No... not exactly.

She's a country gal - that means she has more of a "help yourself" attitude.  The times I've seen her display a lack of manners were all pretty much moments that were particular to the effect the writers were going for.

I could agree she might be a tad "uncouth", but I think she wouldn't exactly be the kind to fart without saying "Oh!  Beg y'pardon." 

And blushing.

• Brohoof 2

Nah. At least, not because she's ignorant of good manners. Applejack knows all about social etiquette.

Exhibit A: She spent time with her snobby Aunt and Uncle Orange and learned how to be a "true Manehattanite":

96934__UNOPT__safe_applejack_filly_scrun

Exhibit B: Her Applejewel persona, which she pulled off rather flawlessly. This shows that Applejack can act, dress, style, and sound like "proper" ladies are expected to.

549617__safe_solo_applejack_animated_spo

Applejack just actively chooses to ignore these things, likely because her experience as a filly in Manehattan forever soured her opinion on high-class life. She realized a farm gal is what she is and is meant to be, and perhaps that comes with the occasional loud burp and using spit as a water source. :icwudt:

But as mentioned by another user, Applejack is very well-mannered in another sense of the word. She is very thoughtful of the wants and needs of others and does everything she can to be neighborly and leave an overall good impression through her charm and warmth.

• Brohoof 3

Well she is honest about everything sometimes brutally honest (hence her element), she is fair about everything as well, and she is nice when talking to other ponies. So her manners as far as talking to ponies go is totally fine, her hobbies though suggest otherwise. She eats a lot and is sloppy about it, hardly cares about her looks to fancy events, and is not afraid to get down and dirty. So she is both in some ways, but overall I'd say she is well mannered.

Well she is honest about everything sometimes brutally honest (hence her element), she is fair about everything as well, and she is nice when talking to other ponies. So her manners as far as talking to ponies go is totally fine, her hobbies though suggest otherwise. She eats a lot and is sloppy about it, hardly cares about her looks to fancy events, and is not afraid to get down and dirty. So she is both in some ways, but overall I'd say she is well mannered.

True, but having seen Pinkie and Twilight eat maybe this is common in equestria?

maybe in rarity's point of view like what others said here, she may do some un-lady like things, but it doesnt mean shes bad mannered.

Applejack has good manners, but they aren't refined. She's a farmer, so good manners isn't exactly important. I mean is she going to tell trees, "May I buck you to get apples off of you, please?" If she does, I think her friends will be concerned. No. She bucks the trees. So she has no reason to have good manners. But she does have good manners. She is also relaxed, though. She doesn't stress about manners the way Rarity does. So yes, but in a relaxed fashion. Understand? If not, I'm sorry. 

No, I think she's not bad mannered, she's just a little uncaring about tiquette at the wrong time, as the time where she entered Twi's home with muddy hooves, and the party during Twi's birthday, but she's not the kind of mare who'll actively burp in front of others, or show herself as overly uncout, unless to annoy Rarity that is 

She's probably like me.

Well-mannered when around strangers, kind of lazy about it when around close family and friends.

On birthdays my uncle started even to fart during dinner. Not for long, though. XD

• 4 weeks later...

As others have mentioned, I believe AJ is more relaxed regarding manners around her close social circle, owing to familiarity and comfort. I'm rather similar actually and I'm sure many others are as well. :) 

In A Bird in the Hoof, Applejack was so concerned about the proper order in which to eat the food, she ended up not eating anything at all. That is hardly the action of someone with bad manners. 

As others have said, Applejack is rustic and practically minded. In the grand scheme of things, proper etiquette and manners are just not that important to her but she is no slob.