Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open [RP] The Blackwater Quarry

Randimaxis

@JonasDarkmane@DwhitetheGamer

It was seemingly impossible, but Luther was frowning harder than ever before, from the looks of him.  He stormed angrily down to the quarry, passing workers who gave him a W-I-D-E berth when they saw his face.

He marched his way down to the quarry yard, and saw Copper and the Brothers as he made his way in.  Stopping, he looked around at the waterlogged mess... then his eyes followed the trail of water to the tower, and now he saw the water silo and the Gem Refinery were also wrecked... then his eyes floated down to the mine entrance, where the path of wetness led to.

He regarded this for a moment, then looked over at the mining machine.  The dark look on his face somehow got even darker, and he slowly walked over to the twins, glowering at them.  When he spoke to them, he spoke very softly and slowly; there was a UNIVERSE of anger in his eyes, and he looked ready to actually become physically violent.

"You shall both listen to me very carefully, as I shall NOT repeat myself: You will empty your pockets RIGHT HERE, and will forfeit ANYTHING in them.  You will then tear up the contract, as I have no use for thieves.  Finally, once this conversation is over and you have done as I have commanded, you will have five minutes to leave the Blackwater Quarry in your dust-trails..."

He moved closer, looming menacingly over the two brothers.

"... because if I see the two of you here after this fiasco... NO ONE WILL EVER SEE YOU AGAIN."  

Luther's hind legs flexed visibly; the cords of muscle there spoke more of a weightlifter than a miner, and it was obvious that a single kick would do untold damage to anypony foolish enough to be on the receiving end.  He stepped back, his demeanor calm, yet obviously there was a fury beneath that blanket of self-control.

"Are... we... clear?"

With this said, he turned to Copper and motioned to the mess around him; he then said three words that would be the absolute focus of ALL his ire and rage...

"... WHO... DID... THIS?"

@Blitz Boom@Mentis Soliloquy 

Taps took a good look at Scarlet, then nodded.  She reached into her satchel carefully, and came out with a very old-looking bottle, its handle in her teeth.  She brought it over to Scar, and c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y tipped it over Scarlet's lips.

Flowing from the bottle came a brightly blue-glowing liquid that dripped about five drops into her slightly open mouth.  This done, she quickly put the old bottle back in her worn satchel, then turned to the Doc and put a hoof to her own lips; the universal 'quiet' sign.

The effect took about three seconds to kick in.

A soft blue light rolled over Scarlet, and wherever it touched began to heal itself rapidly.  Ziggy was witnessing what must have been a miracle in a bottle; within moments, Scarlet was as good as new - better, even; she felt charged and zippy, full of energy.

With a sigh of relief, Taps put a hoof on Scarlet's foreleg and smiled broadly at her.

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

Copper saw Luther approach the three with a look of rage of his face.  He gulped mentally, but had kept his composure.  He over heard Luther talk to the brothers, and it was clear they were fired.  He felt bad for them, and he knew there was no way they would come back to this Quarry.

Then he saw Luther put his attention to him, and he knew rage would come out of the older stallion's voice.

"WHO... DID... THIS?"

Copper took a deep breath, and spoke in a calm, yet determined and rather loud voice, his eyes still dead-locked on his future boss.

"I have no idea, sir.  However, I will speak of what happened in my point of view.  I came here looking for a job here in the Quarry because I was getting tired of my old job, which is delivering mail in my home.  I was about to approach someponies who were talking to each other when I felt that these two-" he motioned to the brothers- "were in danger.  I rushed over to the cave when I saw them trapped around lava that was spewing out.  I hurried as quick as I could to find anything that could cool the lava out, in which case I used a fire extinguisher, and managed to cool down the lava just enough for somepony to rush over and tie up a part of that machine with rope.  I went to grab it as best I could, but then I heard the water tower collapsing, and I knew it wasn't good, however, I was in a nook where I wouldn't be affected by the flood, and so were these two as soon as they were flung to my side.  The ones that were victims of the flood, though, are inside the cave, and I was about to find you and start up a search team to find them.  I'm sure the one responsible for this is in the cave, looking for a way back outside."

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis@@Blitz Boom

(Not totally happy with what you did Randi)

The Quarry- outside the mine

Scarlet sat up as if she's had adrenaline shot into her heart. "What...who...pain!..." She shook her head for a moment before looking at the two next to her. "Taps! What WAS THAT!!" She looked to the other, standing next to her. "Who are you? You were first the angel standing over me." With out much thought she hugged Ziggy for a few moments, then pulled back. "I am in your debt..." She hugged Taps aswell, again pulling back. "You too Taps, both of you have a favor from me and that is nothing small I can assure you I don't give them out much..." 

Scarlet stopped for a moment, within seconds her face turned from what it may of been happiness and being grateful to one of utter rage, blind blood rage... the only one in the quarry as anger as her was Luther Blackwater. "Who...the...buck...caused...this!?" Her question was filled with rage. I'm gonna kill them! She looked at the pair of them. "Answer me!" She was so angry she was going to hit something, some ass put her on deaths door and no matter the intentions she was not going to let it slide, and well something she was going to do was not going to be good for someone...

Edited by Mentis Soliloquy
  • Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis @@DwhitetheGamer

The brothers were shaking as Luther slowly explained how they should leave. When he mentioned the ripping of the contract, they were already emptying their pockets, rubies and diamonds falling out of their pockets. Then Flam drew forth the contract with his magic and then tore it apart. It was done, they no longer worked for the Blackwater family. Luther's show of strength was all that was needed to send them running. 

"I guess our services are no longer wanted here". 

"Too bad, our innovations were better than anything". 

"But Flim Flam enterprises will rise again, we will find some others with new machinery that we can.. erhm... help". 

However, they did not seem to be running out of the mines, but rather, towards the machine. The climbed on top of it and started to move things around, revealing more hidden panels. With a middle panel removed, a rod shot up from it and some buttons as well. Flim pushed the button. They both took off their hats and then put on some goggles., then they put the hats back on. Seats appeared behind them and they strapped themselves to it. Then, suddenly, helicopter spades shot up from behind them and then they started to petal with their hind hooves. A small segment of the machine broke away, although they could not carry the storages with them, so they had to leave those behind. They rose up into the air, but they had to fly low because they were still underground where there was still a roof above their heads. 

They came near Copper, who was apparently near Luther. They dared not come any closer and Flim yelled to Copper. 

"If the old buck... uhm... Chuck, I believe his name was... if he is alright, tell him that me and my brother are grateful for what he did today. We are sorry for the problems we caused him..."

"--and tell him that he can buy any of Flim Flam Enterprice's products on a 20% discount at any time!". 

With that, the brothers waved and then pedaled away. When they finally were out of the mines and into the open air, Flam sighed. 

"Well, there goes profitable opportunity for us". 

Flim chuckled. 

"Don't be too sad, brother. We always meet obstacles and we always overcome them. There will always be bumps in the road. Besides, this is not the first time this has happened to us. We will just have to try something new". 

"Indeed... also, we did not come out of this totally empty hoofed". Flam chuckled. 

He took his hat off and then showed it to Flim. At the bottom, inside the hat, was a small shiny gem. Flim chuckled merrily. 

"Seems like you were not the only one that had such a bright idea". 

Flim did the same as his brother, and within his hat was a small sized sapphire. 

"My beautiful clever brother of mine, the Flim Flam brothers are still in the business!". 

"What do you say trying out.... the logging industry?". 

"An excellent idea. I think it is about time that we innovate that industry. Who needs ponies when they can use machines to cut down trees?". 

Both of the brother's laughed as they pedaled over the horizon, never to be seen near the Blackwater quarry, ever again. 

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis,

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

"I don't... What was... And you... "

There was nothing but confusion going over Ziggy for the whole process since the strange bottle were revealed by Taps and she went through some kind of strange healing process. It were magic, that much she were sure about, but what kind of magic could just be bottled up with this magnitude? Usually magical medicine couldn't do something like this unless it were a spell done directly, and she hadn't heard of a panacea like this before in any of the years she had been in the hospital or studied to be a doctor. What kind of thing were it?

Her confusion didn't settle when Scarlet rose up and started swing from *thank you* to *bring me the head of somepony* degree's of emotion, and she didn't really get anything out but the incoherent words. Until a light went off in her head and her eyes grew wide.

"The others!"

She didn't say more before in a flash, she had grabbed her bag and zigged down the tunnel looking for others that had been hit by the wave. With some luck she might be able to find some of the foreponies, Ivan, or one of several others that had likely been flushed down here as well. She had hoped others would as she had a patient to see to before, but... She seemed to somehow be okay now, so she had to get going to others that needed her help. She didn't have the time to stay behind and discuss things with Scarlet, or asking Taps about the bottle at this point. All of that would have to be handled later.

The only thing that were left behind for Scarlet and Taps to see as she went had suddenly rushed off were dust settling, the bandages and such on Scarlet, and the small packet of pain-killers she had left on the floor in haste, reacting to the mention of pain from her former patient.

• Brohoof 1

@DwhitetheGamer

Luther listened as Copper spoke, his face giving away nothing but calm anger.  When the explanation was finished, the Boss gave a harsh sigh, then stared Copper right in the eyes.

"Still inside the mine, you say.  Fine.  You want to work?  Fine - survey the damages and write them all down; I will get them later from you.  Be thorough, and you are hired.  Do not disappoint."

With that, Luther made his way over to the mine entrance and began to descend the drenched pathway leading to the bottom of the cavern system.  Celestia help whoever the poor sucker was that caused all this...

@Mentis Soliloquy

Taps shrugged at Scarlet's question, but turned and looked thoughtfully at the mine entrance for a moment before pointing a hoof at it and giving only a half-shrug, but one with a raised eyebrow... it was like she was saying the culprit might be in the caverns with the rest of the water.

Taps did, however, watch Ziggy streak off like she did.  With that done, she stepped closer to Scarlet and pointed at a few of the other waterlogged ponies here; Scarlet may have taken the worst of the damage, but there were others up here who weren't injured, per se... but they were confused and soaked clean to the bone.  She went over to being helping them up, one at a time.

@Blitz Boom

Very few ponies actually got washed into the tunnel, but even those scant few needed help, all the same.

Ziggy's count had reached four by the time she'd hit the lower quarters in the mines.  The path the water had taken was quite clear enough to follow, and it had led here.  Those other four had been shaken, but otherwise unharmed.  And soaked.

A single voice cut throught the echoey cave, resounding across the walls and ceiling:

"'ey... 'AY!  Anybuddy out dere?"

It sounded like Chuck List, the head forepony for The Blackwater Quarry.

"Look, if dat's somepone, den canya help get me outta heah?"

The voice seemed to be coming from inside a hole in the floor, just about big enough for a pony to get stuck in.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

He wouldn't have called for long when Ziggy's white and pink head popped into view and looked down on him. She looked a bit knackered, but it wasn't much of a surprise. With the state she had found Scarlet in at the entrance she had expected the worst every time she had run into somepony, though so far the four she had rushed over to had been able to walk away with this with only minor concussions, some minor scalding and a severe case of wanting to get a drink. Not usually something she condoned in the workday, but right now she couldn't really blame them.

She had been rushing along looking for more when suddenly, Chuck's voice had called out. It had taken her a few second to guess where he were at that point, but once he talked a second time and she took notice of the big hole in the floor, it started to become a little more clear.

"Chuck? Are you hurt down there?"

The hole he were stuck in were a little small in it for somepony like her, so trying to get down there were likely not gonna end well. Still, if he were hurt, she couldn't just let him stay down there... Hmm, perhaps she could make some kind of rope from a roll of gauze if it were? It were of the sturdier kind, so it might be possible to be climbed, but... Nonono. First make sure he were safe. Then worry about how to get him out of there.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

Copper listened intently at his new task at hoof, and he knew he shouldn't let his future boss down.  He nodded at Luther after being told what to do.  "Yes, sir!" he said and took out a piece of paper on a folder and a pencil from his special saddlebag.  He knew this would come in handy, but he didn't know that this would be the time to use it.  He galloped to the site of the now-fallen water tower and surveyed the damage of the tower itself.  He then wrote the first bit on the paper:

'Water tower is severely damaged, probably beyond repair.  Cracked wood from the water holder, and one out of the four legs is cracked and destroyed.   Water is still pouring out, should unfortunately be all gone by the time you read this.'

He then surveyed the area impacted by the flood near the water tower and wrote again.

'Area impacted near the water tower is mild to moderate damage.  Destroyed minecarts by the collapsing tower as well as water inside the buildings and equipment in the surrounding area.  Nopony injured, except possibly those carried by the water tower from this area.'

He then surveyed the entire area in front of the water tower, near the cave entrance, and wrote.

'Area in front of the water tower near the cave entrance is mild damage, including flooding in the surrounding buildings and equipment.  Equipment was carried by the flood, but can still be used, only need to lift some of them to their upright position.  Ponies are seen injured from the flood, and is in need of care right away.'

He then took off to the next area, folder and pencil in hoof.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Blitz Boom

"Oh, t'ank Celestia!  Izzat you, Ziggy?  I'm arrite, but dere ain't NO WAY I'm gettin' outta dis hole on my own, ya know?"

There was the sound of wet squishing for a moment, then an exasperated sigh.

"Yeeeeeaaaaaaah, I'm stuck pretty good.  Might hafta getta crew down here ta clear somada dirt away, so's I can get out.  You t'ink y'could let 'em know for me, Doc - I hoid dat lunch whistle, an' I don't wanna miss a straw dog 'cuzza dis!"

He might have sounded pretty irritated about the whole deal, but Chuck was actually in much better spirits since his defeat earlier; he saved lives and made a difference, which meant he was nowhere near useless - those twins were full of malarkey and marmalade!  Chuck had come to this conclusion after realizing he was stuck, and finding the entire thing silly as all get-out; why did he care what a pair of shysters like THEM thought?

Chuck knew his value; he simply had to be reminded, was all.

@DwhitetheGamer

"YOU!  You there, what ARE you doing?"

A red stallion with a thick, wild blonde mane came over to Copper.  He didn't look like a welcoming committee.

"I said, what are you doing?  Everything else going on around here, and you're simply taking notes?  For WHOM are you taking these notes, I wonder?"

He didn't look strong enough to be a miner... but he did have a horn hiding in his mane.

• Brohoof 2

Scarlet was so pissed but she had nothing to direct her anger to everyone left her to it she walked over to something hard in this case it was a wall of a shed she then bucked it and caused some serious damage to the section she kicked. "My sweet Celestia I needed that." She sat down and tried to calm herself down it was not easy she tried deep breaths in through the muzzle and out through the mouth she sat there just focusing on her breath. After a few minuets she had calmed down somewhat but this may and probably change if she found the pony responsible for what would happen. "Just breath, calm Scarlet, calm, breath." 

She looked up after a few more moments to the sight everything was a massive mess mud and water and ponies everywhere, her food would be ruined...oh her clean kitchen! This made her angry again, but again she stopped and tried to calm down again. "It's fine...kitchens aren't to...hard to...clean...no, not at all." Scarlet's eye twitched as she uttered that short statement she hated being a lowly earth pony and how hard that made everything it just pissed her off at times, times like now... 

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis

Copper had already completed a page worth of notes on one section out of three, and he was about ready to finish up another section of notes when he heard a red stallion approach him.

"YOU!  You there, what ARE you doing?"

Copper ignored him, for he had no time to explain what was going on at the moment.  He continued writing for a few seconds when the stallion spoke again.

"I said, what are you doing?  Everything else going on around here, and you're simply taking notes?  For WHOM are you taking these notes, I wonder?"

Copper sighed, then had his eyes dead-locked at the pony in question.  "If you want to know, I'm taking notes of the damages that has been caused by that water tower for Luther Blackwater.  Assigned that job, of course.  If you want to know more, you're going to have to talk to him, because I have very little time to talk right now.  I have to make a good first impression on my future boss, after all."

He went back to writing the damages.  Just one look in his eye from that point indicated that he had no time to talk to anypony else.  He trotted over to the second area and started taking notes again.

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

Ziggy let out a big sigh of relief when she heard that Chuck were alright. Stuck, sure, but that was just normal stuff. Compared to pretty much everypony else she had seen being taken by the wave, it was miraculous that nothing had gone wrong. Then again, he Were one of the toughest ponies she knew. Might be he had some minor damages that he just didn't care about.

But that wasn't important. Not yet anyway. For now, she had to help the forepony.

"It's So good to hear Chuck. Well, not that you're stuck, but... Well, y'know.

Anyway, I'll go find some rope and earth ponies that can help, okay? Just try and stay calm."

With that, she zoomed out and soon after were out of the mine. Usually her boundless energy was a bit of a hindrance as she needed her times of just letting some out with erratic flying around her office at times during most days, but in times like this the overflow were a gift. Especially if suddenly somepony would show up with injuries that couldn't be taken away with the magic bottle.

For now though, she had to use it to find some earth ponies not repairing things urgently, caring for those with minor injuries that just needed to be dragged out and given a place to sit while they got their head back in the game, or Were the injured ones to begin with.

Sure, anypony would Technically do, but Chuck was a buff stallion and that muscle took muscle to get out. Earth ponies did that best as they were generally the strongest of the bunch. And magic wasn't the thing she wanted to try right now, as if there were any free unicorns, it were more important they could handle more important thing like the injured miners and mine itself. Magic was going to be a big help there.

The first that really met her eye as being free wasn't the one she were the most comfortable with, but if she were really all fresh... She needed all she could get right now.

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

Landing in front of the earth mare, Ziggy still had a rushed and worried look on her face, but she tried to carry it with a smile and looked genuinely happy to see that the mare looked okay. A bit... Irritated perhaps, but okay from the look of things.

"Hi. I'm so sorry for just flying off before like that, but there were more taken down and I had to check them. I think I found them all, but there's one that's stuck and I need all the help I can get to help him out. Do you think you're okay enough to lend a hoof?"

A light went up over her head and she stuck a hoof forth right after, looking a little awkward for a second over forgetting that she didn't even know this one.

"I'm Doc Zinger by the way, resident doctor."

• Brohoof 1

@DwhitetheGamer

The red unicorn cast a nervous glance over his own flank, then wlaked up beside Copper, nearly blocking his way.

"YES?  Well, that COULD be true - but but but where's the proof, eh?  EH?"

As he spoke and got very close to Copper, Redd motioned with a hoof behind his back; from the shed, Knee and Oglevy both tip-hoofed out of the shed and across the yard.  Redd kept Copper's attention on himself, or at least kept the speedy pony's eyes away from the other two's creeping forms.

"After all, I am one of your FOREPONIES!  So I suppose you had best MAKE time for..." he glanced over Copper's flank as the duo made it to relative safety.  "... you know what?  It isn't worth the time to look into right now, got to run, we'll speak later..." and off Redd went, eyeballing Copper a bit as he headed back into the drenched yard.

Knee thought they were home free, until they rounded a corner and found a wet and VERY cross mare standing there... and it was apparent she was going to spot them both.

"Let me do the talking..." muttered Knee to the kid.

Oglevy simply nodded; he didn't want to get caught, either.

@Mentis Soliloquy

"OH!  Uh... hi there, uhm... uhm, you!"

To her left, Scarlet caught a flash of purple; it was Knee Slapper the unicorn, and he was frozen in place - and what appeared to be a young colt next to him.  The colt looked back and forth between the two for a moment, rolled his eyes, then he gave Knee a huge pair of cutesy-eyes.

"Mister Slapper, aren't we gonna go home?"

"Uhm, yeah - 'course we are.  But... you... shoooooould always say hello to new faces, right Oggie?"

The look that the colt shot Knee would have curdled lava.

"Right... MIS-TER... Slapper.."

The colt didn't sound amused, but he was a bit of cute, to be fair; he seemed very much like the adorable rascal-type.  After the evil glare, the colt turned to look at Scar.

"Is everypony okay?"

@Blitz Boom

Knee looked at Ziggy and nodded.  

"Stuck?  I can help, too; show us where you need us."  

The purple unicorn magicked a length of rope over to him from a waterlogged pile of supplies, and coiled it as it slid loosely around his neck.

He then looked back to Scarlet.  "Please help, won'cha?  We could use some Earth Pony power, here..."

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis, "your gusse is as good as mine right now" cresent said going back to retrieve more water logged ponys. some squimered, others were passed out he prayed to his night mother that would be the worst as he retried more. Soon it seemed he couldn't find more he fluttered back down towards silver.

Seeing silver work with some of the shocked ponys to help recover from the water and direct the other ponys cresent was glad they met in the mine, he wondered what would be  good first date with her would be. He shook his head getting out of colt friend mode and focused more a the task at hoof.

Soon he felt the water get into his wings to the point he had to stop and dry them. His wings were indeed bats and more water proof then most pegisi but they weren't golden and bullet proof. Also bat ponys had to body wise use more muscles the pegisie to fly (using modern day bat science on this one) on top of his coat which did help him somewhat when it came to water. Fluttering down he moved to an open spot and shook what he could of the water off himself, he looked at the ponys around him. 

It was an odd site seeing this many ponys around the mine all acting as medics to each other he then remembered a good portion were prior military or ex military so seeing something like this shouldn't surprise him. "I guess I still don't know this place as I thought" he thought out loud sitting down.  

Looking over at silver once they helped move more ponys into the med clinic he asked "you all right?"  

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis

Copper gave the red stallion a very stern look as the other talked.  He had no time to waste, he wanted to make an impression on his future boss after all.  He was about to speak when, out of the corner of his eye, he saw two younger ponies moving up on the two.  The other stallion got very close to him, blocking the view of the two ponies, only making him more mad.  Luckily the unicorn left before he had the chance to speak to him, which was a good thing, for he needed to calm down a bit before doing anything.  He would have to talk to the two young colts after he was done with his work, in which he was nearly there.  He surveyed the final area, took notes, and then put the folder in his saddlebag.  He was glad to have such neat writing, because if not, he wouldn't have a job.  Completing a page worth of notes in each of the three sections that were affected by the water tower, plus a half a page of other tidbits in the three areas, wasn't an easy task.  He looked around, seeing what he could do to help, when he found a few ponies with a waterlogged pile of supplies.  He hurried over to the group and voiced his support.

"Hi, everypony.  I'll help you out here.  What do I need to do?"

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis@@Blitz Boom,

Scarlet looked to Ziggy as she came back for a few moments all she could see where her wings...and how they pissed her off to no extent, she looked away to see knee Slapper and Oglevy though she did not know him again all she saw was a horn and another set of wings...She gritted her teeth then looked down trying to calm the racist hatred she had at times for those more lucky than she was, it was hard to keep down this time she was a cat's whisker away from exploding and hitting something that was not a wall this time. Despite her lack of wings or magic she could hit like a stallion double her size, she could hurt somepony if she put her mind to it. 

She looked back up at Ziggy her eyes filled with rage again, but somehow she did not act on it. "Well I should be ok to I think now that I have had that wonder drug worked on me and all." Her voice was strained to not shout, she again looked over to Knee and gave a fake smile then looked back to Ziggy. "What do you need from this earth pony?" Calm down! I'll give you, 'calm down'! You'll do somthing stupid in this state. Bucked if I care! CALM!!

• Brohoof 1

@@Randimaxis,

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

Weird... She still seemed agitated. Perhaps there were something she had lost in the flooding?

It wasn't something Ziggy liked to see, but she had to focus on what she had come to her to talk about first, then see if she could make her smile after that.

"Well, I really need as much help as I can get to help get one of the foreponies out. He's stuck in a hole in the mine, and I can't get him out myself. I'm not really that strong, but you look like you are, and while I really do wish that I could just leave you be and relax after your incident, there's not many around not taken right now. If you're really okay, could you help? Please?"

Ziggy did her best puppy-dog eyes to the mare, hoping that she would say yes. She had to get Chuck out of the hole and get to the infirmary as soon as possible, but to do that she needed muscle. Her hollow bones were great for flying, but they limited her physical strength, and though unicorns were a bit better off, you really needed an earth pony for things like this, as they had that great physique for these kind of things.

Truth be told she were jealous at times that she couldn't heap around things like them, or push boulders, rescue others out of holes and so forth, but it just wasn't her lot in life. It was for those like this unknown, angry looking pony, and with some luck she'd be willing to use those gifts that lot gave her to help them save Chuck. Celestia knew that they could really use her at least.

• Brohoof 2

@cwhip9

Silver sat down with a THUMP, a gust of a sigh whooshing out of her as she did.

"I'm okay... it's just a lot to do, that's all.  I couldn't even begin to tell you how all that water got down there, but I CAN tell you that it was a good thing; I think the magma we found probably got the worst of it."

She reached up and took one of her braids between her hooves, squeezing water from it.

"But that STILL leaves me wondering where the magma's coming from in the FIRST place... there are no lava tunnels in this mountain, so it wouldn't even be feasible for a gem mine to-..."

Silver stopped mid-statement, and her eyes went huge.

"... Crescent!  FIRE OPALS!  Untreated Fire Opals can grow hot enough to liquefy stone!  That HAS to be it!  Oh, if we could find them, the quarry could magically seal, refine and sell them for a HUMONGOUS profit!  Mr. Blackwater would be SO pleased!"

@DwhitetheGamer

Of the four miners sitting there dripping, the one with the bunch of grapes for a cutie mark looked up at Copper.

"We're sunk, and NOPONY can help right now."

He turned and motioned to a chunk of broken machinery.  "THIS thing was the pulley that ran the equipment lift; with it like this, it'll take FOREVER to get all the wet stuff topside."  He wandered over to the side of it, and held a hoof out to point at the cable there.  

"The lines are fine... but our wheel's shot."  He motioned again, this time to what appeared to be a bent gear.  "The blasted thing fell on it's side when the water came through; without this little spinning dervish doing it's thing, it'll take days to get all of that stuff up here, and half of it'll be rusted by the time we get it topside."

He sighed.  "This'll cost the Boss a small fortune... unless you've got a spinny-thing we can use?"

@Mentis Soliloquy@Blitz Boom

Knee lifted an eyebrow at Scarlet's attitude, but he wouldn't blame her for it; she had apparently been hit by the flood, although she seemed not to have a scratch on her... still, it certainly would've upset him if it had happened to himself - so he decided to let her be angry for now.  He could always speak to her about things later; didn't she say this was her FIRST day?

"All of us can go down there and..."  he glanced back over at Oglevy for a moment, then continued, "... one... of us can take Oggie here home."

Again, a stare of utter fire came from the colt, aimed directly at Slapper, who was studiously ignoring it with a slight half-grin on his face.  He looked back and forth between them, then shrugged.

"I guess, since YOU gotta pull him out, and YOU gotta fix him up... then that leaves ME, hunh?"

Oglevy groaned, dropped the cute act, and turned to face the two ladies.  "Look, I'm NOT one of Mother's bone china plates; I'll be fine, but this forepony might not be!  We should-"

"FOREpony?  But, if we were with Redd, then... CHUCK!"

With the realization made, Knee took off towards the mine at breakneck speed, leaving the Blackwater colt with the flying zebra and the furious mare.  Oglevy looked a bit worried, actually.

"Well, if it IS Chuck, we gotta go get him out... right?"

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

Copper looked little confused at the moment when the pony mentioned a 'spinny' thing to help with the current situation, but ever so slowly, a smile started to form on his face.  This was his area of expertise, because he knew what he needed to do.  Once the smile couldn't go any further, it would feel like everypony knew what he was about to say, but it would be different from what he DID say.

"No problem.  I can turn into a ball myself."

He knew it would sound far-fetched and impossible, so he backed up a few hooves, got a good feel of his surroundings, and started charging his Spin Dash technique, away from the group.  He only needed about fifteen percent of his full speed, just to show off his talent, and he did a small circle in front of them.  Once he was finished showing off his move, he went back to the group and smiled at them.

"It's called the Spin Dash.  I've used it in situations like this, allowing me to pull otherwise impossible to pull objects.  It's also given me the honorary title of the Fastest Earth Pony in Equestria.  But enough about that.  I shall be the 'spinny' thing you seek."

• Brohoof 2

@@Blitz Boom @@Randimaxis

Scarlet watched Knee depart with some haste she looked to the colt then back to Ziggy. "I...I will help were do you need me..." It was hard for her to say that she had a few things on her mind but the rescue of others should and did come foremost in her mind despite the other things were rather close to bubbling over and taking her down a more angry and possible violent path but she stopped this just.

She still however looked to the out side world that she could hit somthing or someone if the wrong words were said in her presence and at this stage that would be a very accurate guess, she looked to the colt. "Why is there a colt in a mine? Should you not be a school or somthing little one?" She again looked back to the pegasus zebra? That was something new and she'd seen a lot of things in her travels around Equestria. "So The mine ok." She looked to the mine entrance, she hated mines or anything under ground for that matter, ever since that run in with a group of diamond dogs.

She took a few steps towards the mine her legs back to normal from that wonder drug. "You coming you two? Or you gonna stand there?"

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis,

@@Mentis Soliloquy,

It was a relief when she saw that everypony were ready to go. She took a quick look around still though, just to see if there were anypony else within a few meters that she could ask along too, but the only ones she saw were either injured or busy in some way, so no dice there.

Still, a unicorn, a pegasus and an earth pony against a hole? Surely they'd be able to get something done with that, especially since they had a rope to use too.

Having Oglevy along was fine too, but... Well, pegasi foals didn't really have a lot of strength, so he was likely not going to do a lot. Beyond perhaps handling the rope down to Chuck? He seemed small enough for it if he was willing to help when it were.

...Yeah, they'd do with this, she were sure of it. They just had to get going bow.

"Yey! Follow me everypony, and we'll surely get him out soon."

With that she ran past Scarlet and led the way into the damp mine, towards the stuck forepony and would soon catch up with the last of the group that had sped up before.

Usually she didn't run like normal ponies, but she had to have the others follow her directly there so she couldn't just zoom off right now, even if she wanted to hurry back to him. He might Seem right after all, but she couldn't be sure until she saw him, and if there were any wounds being stuck down there was really bad.

Hopefully they would see soon as they got closer and closer to their goal, and they would see if some earth pony strength, unicorn magic, pegasi speed and colt nimbleness, couldn't get a pony out of a hole.

• Brohoof 2

@@Randimaxis, Cresent raised an eye brow "fire opals, in a mine" he said looking back at the mine and overall view of things pondering.

"It could make sense but I thought they were rare even in most dangerous of mines. That could explain a lot though..." he paused grinning a bit and then began to laugh with a interesting cartoon bubble in his head popping up. Seeing the reaction from silver cresent breathed and explained.

"sorry I'm not throwing that idea out, I'm just thinking how those brothers would have reacted if they found them with there...." he placed a hoof under his chin. "machine would be too nice of a word to call it what ever they were doing. I hope they made it out either way" Cresent finished then remembered what she said about the profit, an odd feeling was starting in him thinking of how much money that could get him for a expansive and fancy date with silver.....a gust of wind snapped him out of the day dream. He shook his head grinning still

"Those opals could save a lot of trouble, but if they are melting through the rock" he looked at silver with a thoughtful look on his face. "how in the hey can we handle them with burning our coats off?  

• Brohoof 3

@DwhitetheGamer

"Give 'im a chance!"  One of the seated workers spoke up.  "Looks like he's got the speed ta do da job; why not?"

The miner who spoke to Copper looked skeptical... but nodded.  "Sure, why not - hey, no skin off MY nose if it don't work, right?"  He asked for a few things laying around, and the others gathered them.  Meanwhile, he took a wet rope lying nearby and began to fashion a harness for Copper, effectively tying the spinning stallion to the machine, a makeshift pulley.

"Now, listen kid - you're gonna have to stop and start over and over again, and you're gonna need some strength to get the loads up... not ta mention stamina to make it through the whole task - though we can do it in shifts, if you wanna.  You SURE about this, kid?  Equipment's easier ta replace than a pony's health."

@Blitz Boom@Mentis Soliloquy

The waterlogged cavern was echoing with drips and drops as the three of them reached the hole.  

Standing at the mouth of it was Knee Slapper, talking down into it.  He seemed exceedingly anxious, but you couldn't hear a lick of it in his voice as he spoke.

"... aaah, you just won't admit you need GLASSES, you old nag!  THAT'S how you ended up in there!"

"Nag!?" came the response from down in the hole, "You wait'll I get outta dis hole; I'll show YOU whooza nag!"

Regardless of what was being said, the impression that came across was the Slapper was keeping his friend talking - making sure he didn't pass out or wasn't simply being brave in the face of pain.  Plus, it was putting them on familiar, 'friendly' territory with each other.

"'Ey... I hear hoofsteps up dere..."

Knee looked up at the trio; he was busy with a length of rope, tying it into knots for use in getting his friend out.  He was talking between ties, pulling each knot taut with his teeth while Chuck groused back at him.  

"Hey, there's the cavalry!  Uhh... anypony wanna help me out here?"

@cwhip9

Silver looked thoughtful for a moment.  "Well, I know that the last time there were Fire Opals here, Mr. Blackwater had them extracted, then had them magically sealed by a magician-for-hire.  I can probably come up with the equipment to extract them safely, but we'll still need to find somepony adept at magic to actually seal the stones safely."

She thought for a moment.  "I may have an idea of somepony to ask - but I'll have to find them first.  In the meantime, we need to get those Fire Opals and put them in safe storage before they REALLY cause any problems!"

• Brohoof 3

@@Randimaxis

It took a few moments, but the miners were fully convinced that Copper was able to do the job.  It didn't bother him either way, but he wanted to help, it was his destiny, after all.  And even then, he knew what kind of danger this was, but it didn't stop him from doing what he needed to do.  "Thank you." he said to the one who had further convinced the one who doubted him.

When asked if he was sure about what he was going to do, he nodded at the stallion in question.  "I'm sure that I can do it.  My Spin Dash doesn't take a whole lot of stamina to do-well at least for me, anyways-and this takes merely one percent of it, But I can stop whenever any of you feel tired.  Besides, I can handle rough terrain like here in the Quarry.  All the years of Spin-Dashing can be thanked for that.  It's my destiny to help those in need as well, and this is no exception.  I don't get dizzy either."

After being tied with a harness, he exhaled, a determined look on him.  He put himself in a spinning position near the machine and said to the crew, "I'm ready when you all are.  Go ahead and start moving."

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

@@Randimaxis,@@Blitz Boom,

"Well this is great what is it with all the ponies who are not hurt not earth ponies? I mean your fancy magic and wings do bugger all in a mine don't they now?" As she got closer to the pair, she was not really aiming the sentence at anyone pony though Knee may think she talking to him but she did not mean it to him if he was to think that she just took well her racist hatred took an opportunity to take some cheap shots at the others because the bitch in her knew she was rather important at this point. It was not normally in her but being put on deaths door had her still in a rather foul mood.

She got to the whole at least looking down. "Well your in a bit of a pickle there Chuck why did you go down that hole? Means I have to get you out, you know i'm the cook right?" She meant the words in jest hoping he'd have a giggle from her jokes she'd been in a few scrapes and being funny tended to help a little, well she hoped in this case anyway. Looking up to Knee now. "You done with that rope yet? We need him out of there ASAP." 

Edited by Mentis Soliloquy
  • Brohoof 2