Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Merch Seems To Be Disappering From Hot Topic Stores

GXPBlast

I have noticed that the two hot topics I go to no longer sell much pony merch anymore yet they still have sections for other older stuff like Pokemon and adventure time.

Only a year ago there was a whole section for MLP merch in both of the stores I usually visit, now there are only POP figures and Funco toys. In the past they had many MLP T-shirts, headphones, blankets, stickers, key chains, posters, and other apparel.

This does not include the website as they still have many MLP merch. But I miss going into my local Hot Topics and browsing the pony merch and check them out physically.

Does anybody know why this is and has anyone noticed something similar with Hop Topics in your area? But yet they still have sections for older fandoms such as Pokemon and other Anime/Cartoon shows

Here is what Hot Topic used to look like when I walked in.

sig-4066831.RjMjS.jpg

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 7

MLP isn't really a 'hot topic' anymore and they have to clear the shelves for new upcoming fandoms. A lot of fandoms are being removed from Hot Topic slowly but surely, like the Attack on Titan fandom.

You can still find plenty of merch online, and my local hot topic still sells a lot of MLP funkos, so it's not like the merchandise is entirely gone. (:

• Brohoof 10

I never checked in store because it's a good drive for me but from what I've seen online they don't have a large selection regardless.

They used to have a large section. Also the compared to the website, the store has nothing. Just funco and POP toys

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I've noticed, both ones I go to don't have much. They get the new Funkos when they're released and have shirts, maybe a few other little things here and there but no dedicated section like they used to. But then again Hot Topic is generally a small cramped store (at least the ones I go to) so there isn't much room to have separate sections for everything

• Brohoof 1

It's just because Hot Topic focuses on what's popular at the current time. And with other fandoms getting popular (they seem to be recently getting Steven Universe and FNAF stuff in now), My Little Pony has been pushed off to the side a bit. It doesn't help that from experience Hot Topic tends to sell out on stuff pretty quickly (non-MLP stuff included).

• Brohoof 4

I remember when hot topic was straight up alternative lifestyle merchandise, now it's all popular media. Somepony should open a pone only store.

Hasbro should've done it years ago. If Sanrio and Disney can, why not Hasbro?

It's just because Hot Topic focuses on what's popular at the current time. And with other fandoms getting popular (they seem to be recently getting Steven Universe and FNAF stuff in now), My Little Pony has been pushed off to the side a bit. It doesn't help that from experience Hot Topic tends to sell out on stuff pretty quickly (non-MLP stuff included).

funny how they still have Pokémon, and Black Butler, and Sailor Moon merch.... (at least, in my HT)

They used to have a large section. Also the compared to the website, the store has nothing. Just funco and POP toys

I've definitely noticed the Funko pop plague invading half the store, when I go.

Yup.  I've always been one to like physical stores, and being able to see and touch want you're looking at before you buy.  Not to mention trying on clothes.  I like seeing pony merch in person, too.  Makes me smile.  But in the case of apparel, why in the wide wide world of Equestria would anyone want to go to Hat Tapic for a t-shirt?  All they have now is one garbage shirt with a hatless Applejack, a lazy-eyed Fluttershy, and a Rarity that looks like she's made of wax and started to melt.  Or you could go on Redbubble and get ANYTHING!

(Like Mare of Steel!  :S )

Yup.  I've always been one to like physical stores, and being able to see and touch want you're looking at before you buy.  Not to mention trying on clothes.  I like seeing pony merch in person, too.  Makes me smile.  But in the case of apparel, why in the wide wide world of Equestria would anyone want to go to Hat Tapic for a t-shirt?  All they have now is one garbage shirt with a hatless Applejack, a lazy-eyed Fluttershy, and a Rarity that looks like she's made of wax and started to melt.  Or you could go on Redbubble and get ANYTHING!

(Like Mare of Steel!  :S )

why would anyone go to Hot topic and buy a shirt? Not everone likes (or trusts) buying things online, maybe.....

Mmmh yeah the pony stuff really has gone down a little bit since I last saw. There's a lot of Anime and band merch out in Hot Topic now more than anything. :P

Plus other fandoms have become popular and merch of those fandoms are bound to come in and kinda move MLP to the side a bit. 

Edited by PrincessWubsyButt~

They usually get pony stuff to coincide with when the seasons end. Say what you want about Hot Topic, but they know how to peddle overly expensive merch to people at the right times in a fandom's popularity.

• Brohoof 1

They usually get pony stuff to coincide with when the seasons end. Say what you want about Hot Topic, but they know how to peddle overly expensive merch to people at the right times in a fandom's popularity.

True, but the hot topics near me had nothing but pop figures and funcos even towards the end of season four.

Furthermore,  like others said they still sell tons of Pokemon, older animes like sailor moon, dbz, and black butler in many varieties yet they only sell like two pony products. On their website there is much more merch. Sure there are many other sites that have pony merch, but what makes going to Hot Topic great is to physically see what your buying and is rather gender neutral. Sure I could go to toys r us or Walmart, but all the pony stuff is full of pink. I like MLP and all but, I rather be walking in the pink aisle with pony toys intended for the younger audience. Only other time I get to physically see a ton of pony merch before I buy is at conventions which only come a few times a year.

Probably because it's gotten a bit old (MLP:FIM is almost 5 years old) and newer, more marketable fandoms are starting to pop up. You've gotta remember that Hot Topic is a business and I guess MLP isn't profitable enough to sell in stores.

Must have been a miracle or something. Today while browsing I spotted only one other pony merch in a long time at Hot topic besides the basic Funco toys. It was this T-shirt with pinkie pie. Besides that its still has nothing compared to the rest of the merch. I mean there is still tons of Pokemon and black butler, adventure time, and regular show but only pony funco toys and this one t shirt. Wish the store had more of the stuff found on their website like back in 2014.

Capture.PNG

I have noticed this as well. THe Hot Topic I used to go to now almost has zero MLP products and it is sad, but that is the thing, Hot Topic treats everything like some fad, used mostly to exploit said 'fads'. They stock good products for a while for something, then just move onto the next 'fad'. It is not a store for those that might not see something as simple a fad. Like me for example, I see myself being a massive fan of this show for many years to come, but Hot Topic only sees it a thing for a couple of years, now it doesn't exist to them anymore.

I have noticed this as well. THe Hot Topic I used to go to now almost has zero MLP products and it is sad, but that is the thing, Hot Topic treats everything like some fad, used mostly to exploit said 'fads'. They stock good products for a while for something, then just move onto the next 'fad'. It is not a store for those that might not see something as simple a fad. Like me for example, I see myself being a massive fan of this show for many years to come, but Hot Topic only sees it a thing for a couple of years, now it doesn't exist to them anymore.

If that was the case why do they still have whole sections for adventure time, regular show, Pokemon, and anime like sailor moon and attack on titan, yet little to no pony merch? I think its something deeper than a fad. Clearly pony merch is very popular as they have lots on their website but little in their stores.

Edited by GXPBlast

If that was the case why do they still have whole sections for adventure time, regular show, Pokemon, and anime like sailor moon and attack on titan, yet little to no pony merch? I think its something deeper than a fad. Clearly pony merch is very popular as they have lots on their website but little in their stores.

The show is something deeper than a fad, but Hot Topic may not see it as that. It could be many reasons and I might be wrong. It could be perhaps lack of store space as the stores are quite small, but I really am just not sure. I wish I knew, because Hot Topic is the place where I first got many of my pony merch. :(