Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Making an Indie Game: -MONOBLOCK- | Halp Wantid

StephenP

As you can probably guess from the purposefully misspelled title some friends and I got together and are creating in indie game for PC (And hopefully a Mac port later). And, of course, it's called MonoBlock. Spelled as -MONOBLOCK- in the game itself, but that ain't important, now, is it?

The game has no storyline for the player to follow. In fact the player is YOU. A voice who refers to himself as Robert speaks to you as you play HIS game, making you play it for his enjoyment. And to add more to Robert being an asshole, his game is hard. VERY hard. And the more you die, the more rude he gets.

The player takes control of a simple cube (Hence the name), navigating through puzzles whilst avoiding "The most cliche' obstacles in platformer history", including spikes, pits, lava, etc. To complete a level the player needs to get every coin in the room for the door to open without dying. Death will restart the whole level. There is no game over, but there is a death counter. As of now the game isn't even in its alpha stage, so all we have is the player's controls, spikes, coins, HUD, and death mechanics. Here, have a screenie:

post-35126-0-25531600-1443828244_thumb.png

So far this is just a test level to show what's been made so far.

The colour scheme of the levels (This one being green) changes depending on the difficulty of the world. Each world will have 10 levels, and there are to be 10 worlds total. The colours in each world go from white, pink, blue, green, purple, yellow, orange, red, brown, then black. Also the engine we're using is Game Maker: Studio.

So in the long run, we'd like some help! So far this is a group of five friends (There's me doing the programming and level design, one person helping in level design, one person making the soundtrack, one person helping with writing Robert's dialogue, and someone doing the voice of Robert.). As of right now we're on the lookout for someone to help make player skins and trails, which are unlocked throughout, anyone who can help design levels, whether it be from using Game Maker or just drawing out ideas or something, and of course, beta testers. I am personally proud of this project and hopefully the entire game gets out there on the interwebs!

Also, I'd like to know what you think! I do take constructive criticism well, so if you have ideas that you think would improve on the game, feel free to express it!

:P

Hello @StephenP,

As you're seeking assistance with your creative project, I have moved your topic to a section just for that sort of stuff -- Other Art Help.

• Brohoof 1

First off - the game looks awesome so far, plus thank you for showing what you're doing - it's good to know about what you're getting into before joining (take note!).

Anyway, I can't do any of the things you're looking for, but I can make 8-bit music (possibly could be used in secret levels or something else, if you'd need any other help with music).

Eg.