Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Are you into indie-ish or AAA games?

Vefka

So what type of gamer are you? Do you like playing games like fnaf, undertale, papers please and other indie-ish projects or you like big AAA games?

Personally I prefer big games, I check news for new big announcements, watch almost every gaming expo, etc. When I had only a weak PC, I used to play indie games from time to time, but I stopped when I bought PS4. The only exception for me is if the game is available on smartphones, I like playing interesting unusual games on my phone to kill some time

• Brohoof 4

More mid-tier games. I love me some AAA and Indies, but a lot of them on both sides can be really generic and they tend to be samey and blend too much.

• Brohoof 4

Both.

Indies tend to innovate the market. They give us a breathe of fresh air. Some indies have really interesting plots, as well.

AAA games have all the budget and some are really good. However, most are the same thing over and over or others feel dated or simply are over hyped and don't match the expectatives.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

These days indie titles generally seem more appealing, but I don't judge titles by whether they're triple A or indie.

A lot of these triple A companies just produce mediocre at best sequels to existing IPs for the sake of greed.

Edited by Dusknoir
  • Brohoof 4

It is hard to say. Probably AAA games, since they are hopefully not coded in Unity. But since Nintendo Switch has Unity as primary development platform, I don't know anymore. I don't like laggy games though!

• Brohoof 2

Believe it or not, being a huge gamer all my life, I'm not particularly into either. Undertale and Shovel Knight look cool and once in a blue moon, there is an honestly stellar AAA game like Devil May Cry 5, but most of the games I've played, whether they be classic or new, are games that don't fall into either category. 

• Brohoof 3

It seems like a lot of Indie games - especially the more popular ones - are 2D platformers or 2D top-down sprite based games. Sorry, but for me, those types of games were outdated for me once I got my N64. AAA games wins this for me personally, no contest.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Both.

Indies tend to innovate the market. They give us a breathe of fresh air. Some indies have really interesting plots, as well.

AAA games have all the budget and some are really good. However, most are the same thing over and over or others feel dated or simply are over hyped and don't match the expectatives.

Wow, couldn't have said it better. :)

I was basically a Nintendo only gamer for the most part. Which means I only played AAA games for over 2 decades. I'm not a fan anymore after the Switch got released. I thought I'm not a gamer anymore, but recently I play a lot again. I discovered Indie games for me. :fluttershy:

They don't have the same possibilites as huge studios, but they have better ideas for the most part and make unique and fun experiences. I prefer to play games that are, let's say, 1 hour long, but every aspect of it is fun, instead of playing a 100 hour AAA game full of repetetiveness. There are a lot more negative things to say (loot boxes etc.), but I'm not going to talk about this here.

But to answer the question: :D I could like both, it just depends on the individual game. 99% of my games now are Indie games, though. :)

• Brohoof 2

I mean it honestly kind of depends. I don't generally have a preference towards one or the other although I feel like in recent times there's been more indie games that have appealed to my personal tastes than AAA games I'm really interested in.

• Brohoof 1

I would say both, though it really depends. I don't trust AAA games anymore with how many games have ended up just outright bad in the past 6 years especially. Indie games are not exempt from this either, however.

I have a rule of thumb in that regard: Never pre-purchase any games and always wait for people, the actual consumers and gamers, to get their hands on the product so you can see if the game is good or not due to their brutal honesty in their reviews and ratings.

e0dd17e273c21a53d536c7c8c968b0d7.png

I care less about it being an AAA title but more about replayability and customization. Hell, I have over 5,000 hours in League of Legends and easily hit Diamond a couple of years ago.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:15 PM, Splashee® said:

It is hard to say. Probably AAA games, since they are hopefully not coded in Unity. But since Nintendo Switch has Unity as primary development platform, I don't know anymore. I don't like laggy games though!

Unity is love xD

Is just most devs ignore they should have load screens or how to use them

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, gurokama said:

Also if anyone's unaware of it, Alpha Beta Gamer is a cool channel for discovering weird and bizarre indie games that don't get mentioned a lot.

I remember watching similar guy and playing some of games he had reviewed. But more because of the slow PC that I had

• Brohoof 2

I'd say both, but it really depends on the game. Both AAA and indie games can be shit, but both can be great as well. Ultimately, I judge more by the game itself than its heritage.

I love watching YouTubers play free indie games cause the games are always really spooky and really funny for being so cheap at the same time. One of them was about the classic “car won’t start” in horror movies, but it played out kinda like FNAF (Five Nights in the Car 😂). You had to do things like put the keys in and warm the engine while also looking in your mirrors to get rid of the demon thing with the ax.

It’s called “Come On, Come On, Come On!” if anyone’s interested in playing it. I’m not sure what website it was on but that’s what the game is called.

3 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

I love watching YouTubers play free indie games cause the games are always really spooky and really funny for being so cheap at the same time. One of them was about the classic “car won’t start” in horror movies, but it played out kinda like FNAF (Five Nights in the Car 😂). You had to do things like put the keys in and warm the engine while also looking in your mirrors to get rid of the demon thing with the ax.

It’s called “Come On, Come On, Come On!” if anyone’s interested in playing it. I’m not sure what website it was on but that’s what the game is called

I'm fascinated how people can come up with so simple and yet interesting ideas for games

• Brohoof 2

I like both but normally I like a AAA from nintendo, and Indie games too. I guess most AAA games tent to be edgy in tone and pretty standard (except nintendo which usually plays on the safe side and just tries to be basically a big indie company). They are good for a spectacle like a AAA movie. But indie games have generally something to say and are more creative because of how little they have to work with so their value is on the substance instead of the filling and the shear power the others have. Also I find that many times the AAA ones don't align with how I see some subjects. I care about the story more than the gameplay and gaming experience itself, that might be why.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1