Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tornado's

Codelyy

I'm thinking this is a kinda strange post to make but anyway.

I have this fascination with tornado's. They look amazing but to tell the truth... they also scare the hell out of me. How big they can be, what they can do and just simply the noise that they make.

Though i've never seen a tornado since I'm in the UK even though the UK gets the most tornado's per square mile.

So my question is have anyone seen a tornado in real life. Not on video or anything but like gone outside and seen one and if you have... were you scared?

• Brohoof 5

Your interest in tornados matches me perfectly. I have the same sort of interest in them, I am terrified of them and freak out anytime one could be form, but I also an really intrigued them. They are like an uncontrollable behemoth that strikes fear in others but also wonder. I often watch videos and stuff of tornados. I have never seen one for real, but I have come close to being able to, since there have been some in this general area in the past. It would be really cool to see one out in an open field. :)

• Brohoof 2

I have never actually seen one, and for that I am thankful (although I've had to take cover countless times, and might have been in a car real close to one a couple of years back). They're terrifying. While I'm not saying they aren't fascinating in the least, I have a hard time seeing them as pretty... They're rather ugly, and destructive. Would love to move somewhere far, far away from where they regularly occur.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

Your interest in tornados matches me perfectly. I have the same sort of interest in them, I am terrified of them and freak out anytime one could be form, but I also an really intrigued them. They are like an uncontrollable behemoth that strikes fear in others but also wonder. I often watch videos and stuff of tornados. I have never seen one for real, but I have come close to being able to, since there have been some in this general area in the past. It would be really cool to see one out in an open field. :)

I watch a lot of tornado videos too XD. They just look so amazing but the last thing i would want is to see one outside my window

Here is a video for example:

• Brohoof 2

I love tornadoes...but they're also a terrifying sight to behold. I've been really close to one and in one as a kid, too! Pretty scary stuff.  :maud:

• Brohoof 2

I watch a lot of tornado videos too XD. They just look so amazing but the last thing i would want is to see one outside my window

Here is a video for example:

That is the type of stuff that I love watching. :3 I mean, I really do not like watching houses getting destroyed, that is incredibly sad, but something about seeing such a mysterious thing that has so much power, it is kinda crazy. I watch video like this all the time. XD I have an obsession with it. :P I am also fascinated by supercell thunderstorms too. 

• Brohoof 2

I love tornadoes...but they're also a terrifying sight to behold. I've been really close to one and in one as a kid, too! Pretty scary stuff.  :maud:

You've been in a tornado?? How?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have a huge interest in tornadoes. That's that sparked me to pursue a career in meteorology and maybe do a little storm chasing. I personally have never been in a tornado but my Dad was back in the 70s. 

And yes, I'm wanting to move to Oklahoma just so I can see tornadoes. Call me crazy but it's true.

Edited by Twisted Cyclone
  • Brohoof 2

Tornado's what? :P

Anyway, I was terrified of tornadoes when I was a kid. If a tornado hit our old home, we would be so incredibly screwed. The basement roof was about half my height, it leaked and there was hardly any space. I'm not quite as scared now because we've moved, but I'd still be crapping myself if I encountered one in person.

• Brohoof 1

You've been in a tornado?? How?

Long ago... [short story] ... I was sleeping one evening, then I awoke to very strange and loud noises coming from outside. In the small amount of time I was able to comprehend the situation, I was told to seek shelter in a storm locale (the basement). The house was completely destroyed, regrettably. 

Though I haven't seen a twister I do both know people who've been in one and been miles from one. The first is my mothers family when they lived up at my great grandpas. Relocated the whole house but only took the windows and some shingles. The second a few years back a tornado hit a neighboring town. I was on my grandparent's property (step dad's side of the fam) and had a great view of these greenish clouds. My mother, step dad, and I watched from a garage as the storm blew through and my cousin just ran into the house. Yes it was quite frightening but on the other hand I LOVE storms like dash love the wonderbolts.

As for myself we're a touch alike. I love storms and wish to see a tornado up close. You'll see me flinch at lightning but that's more a dislike of the louder (the flas-BOOM kind that shake the house and don't even let the lightning finish flashing) rumbles but I do go as hyper as pie over cake when a good storm's happening. As for the twisters, they scare me but I'm a lot like that dusty guy offa twister. Adrena junkie but I will move when the need is imminent. I'm the kinda guy standing in a funnels' path "woo"ing it up with a camera in my hands. Something hits the ground a few feet away "wow that was close, this is so AWESOME". Something dang near lands on top of me (insert anime face with the sweat bead rolling down the back of the head an the small rounded, nervous eyes here) "epp TIME TO GO". I'm that kinda guy. I think it's because there's this energy I feel in the air hat just has this soothing feel that yet is uber hype causing and so natural of a connection, for a lack of a better term. 

• Brohoof 1

I saw a tornado when I was 4. I lived in Oklahoma at the time.

I now live in Florida where we experience hurricanes. yay...

The wind always follows

• Brohoof 1

Since my family moved to this town in 1997, we've had 4 EF4 or greater tornadoes. Two of those, F5/EF5s in 1999 and 2013, had funnels over a mile in diameter. Both of those passed within a mile of my house. I don't remember much about the 1999 tornado, other than the sky was green. Like, we're talking about the color of grass here. Crazy shit yo.

The 2013 one, on the other hand, I remember clearly. I didn't see all that much of it, I just saw it bearing down and decided that a mile wide vortex of 210 mph winds and bits of house was absolutely fucking terrifying when it's headed in your general direction, so I gtfo'd to my storm cellar. I could hear it though... All the people I've talked to say it sounds like a freight train, and they obviously have no idea what they're talking about. If I had to liken it to something, it would have to be the roar of an old fashioned turbojet, military style (without mufflers). When I finally walked outside, A good chunk of the town just simply no longer existed, including the bowling alley (I was devastated). It even pulled all the grass out of the ground. Completely ridiculous...

Anyway, I suppose tornadoes are kinda interesting, but they're 0/10 NOT GREAT.

Edited by Nismo
  • Brohoof 2

I did not see the tornado itself. Coming from Northwoods of Wisconsin, tornadoes are an extremely rare thing, and I never thought one would happen growing up. But then I moved to Rochester MN, and made a friend (who is now my husband) who lived on the border of Iowa and Minnesota, outside of Chester IA.

It was the same line of storms that created tornadoes that tore through Joplin MO in May 2011.

I was visiting my now husband at the time. We were at in grove of trees about 5 miles away from his parents house cutting up firewood for storage. Neither of us knew there were storms scheduled for that day, and it was sunny and clear; a perfect day to work outside. I remember seeing darkness to the west, and told my husband that rain is coming, but I wasn't too worried. I kept on it to know when we should pack up, if we even needed to pack up. But about half hour after I first noticed the darkness, I felt tremendous fear. Here is the best way I can describe WHAT I felt to feel such fear.  I am a very "close to nature" person and so I am very hypervigilant when it comes to my environment. I physically felt the air change. It was like my body was being pressed in on all sides. I had never felt this before, and even though the birds were still singing and the forest seemed unafraid, I was. I told my husband we needed to go to his home. We were done. He was very confused and believed I had no reason to fear anything. At this time the sun was still shining above us. We packed up and went to his home. By the time we got home, the storm had sped up considerably and it had gotten cloudy with light sprinkles. I was in a complete state of fear because the feeling I had with the air was getting worse. I was seriously freaking out and my husband nor his parents understood what I tried to explain nor why I was acting so strange. Within 15 minutes of getting back, the sprinkles turned to downpour and that's when the wind picked up. Within a few minutes after that, we lost power. I remember looking out the window and not being able to see the barn (which was on the other side of the driveway from the house) because the rain and wind was so extreme, and being utterly terrified because of my feelings. My husband tried to calm me down and his family was very much not phased by the weather. About a half hour after the rain and wind started, that's when his parents got worried. There was a low droning sound that was building for a while, and it seemed to break into a roar of wind. I cannot say it was like a "train" sound, because I've heard trains....Trains do not sound like this tornado. It was like the air was shrieking in a low tone that I cannot compare when that humming drone broke. That's when his parents and him got scared and FINALLY made us run to the basement. We weren't down there long before the storm subsided.

Nothing at his parents' were damaged, and they thought little of storm (once they knew nothing was damaged). They actually had never experienced a tornado in all their years living in the area (even though this area is a part of tornado alley). Power returned about 4 hours afterward, and I was taken home. Later we learned that there was a tornado, an F2 tornado that came within a mile of where his parents lived, and it was over 200 yards wide at that time. It completely destroyed a few homes, and completely turned a house 180 degrees, setting it back on its foundation. The elderly man that lived there survived because a bookshelf fell on him and protected him. The house is still there. This tornado was strange because it stayed in the lowest areas of the landscape (usually they jump over it). There is a long, low lying grove of trees south of Chester, Iowa that it completely mutilated.

Here is a video someone took of it. This tornado traveled from Riceville IA to Harmony MN, a distance of over 40 miles! It had lost most of its strength by the time it got to Harmony.

Here is a video of some of the damage, a mile away from  where my husband's parents live. (None of these videos are mine)

Here is the NOAA report of the tornado and other that happened in the same storm.

http://www.weather.gov/arx/may2211

I am now utterly terrified of tornadoes. I love storms, but the feelings I now know associated with a tornado are feelings I will never dismiss. It felt wrong, everything about the feelings I had felt like the world around me was intensely sick. It is not a feeling I ever want to have again. With the renovations we are currently doing our house, we are going to put in a concrete bunker in our basement for tornado weather (with a solid steel door). Coming from a place where tornadoes never happened, It was quiet an eye opener for me, and honestly, if it wasn't such a dangerous phenomenon and felt incredibly disgusting, I would probably still be fascinated with them.

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

I did. I live in a coastal area, and there happened to be one several kilometres off-coast last winter, during a storm. It appeared like a column of spinning vapour travelling across the horizon, amazing.

• Brohoof 1

I actually live in an area pretty prone to getting tornadoes.

Even though i've experienced warning after warning throughout the year, they still frighten me.

• Brohoof 1

Since my family moved to this town in 1997, we've had 4 EF4 or greater tornadoes. Two of those, F5/EF5s in 1999 and 2013, had funnels over a mile in diameter. Both of those passed within a mile of my house. I don't remember much about the 1999 tornado, other than the sky was green. Like, we're talking about the color of grass here. Crazy shit yo.

The 2013 one, on the other hand, I remember clearly. I didn't see all that much of it, I just saw it bearing down and decided that a mile wide vortex of 210 mph winds and bits of house was absolutely fucking terrifying when it's headed in your general direction, so I gtfo'd to my storm cellar. I could hear it though... All the people I've talked to say it sounds like a freight train, and they obviously have no idea what they're talking about. If I had to liken it to something, it would have to be the roar of an old fashioned turbojet, military style (without mufflers). When I finally walked outside, A good chunk of the town just simply no longer existed, including the bowling alley (I was devastated). It even pulled all the grass out of the ground. Completely ridiculous...

Anyway, I suppose tornadoes are kinda interesting, but they're 0/10 NOT GREAT.

I've read a lot strangely about the noice of tornado's and a lot of the things people have said about it is that it's terrifying and deafening.

• Brohoof 1

I have this dumb urge to just experience dangerous weather like I will run outside in loud thunder and lightening with joy, no joke, even if I can barely open my eyes with the wind. Everyone likes getting a kick out of some thrill I guess weather is just one of mine. Funny because I have this friend who is deathly cautious with even a little thunder and he'll ride roller coasters for days, in very consecutive, lengthy hours. I could never do that. Last time I went on one it was a scout troop state fair vacation in middle school and my reaction was more like shaking for days. Go figure. I appreciate irony though.  :twi:  

I've experienced dust tornadoes, and that's about it. It's a literal desert out here lmao. Never stayed in the flat central US areas for long, nor in the more eastern and forested hotzones. I wonder if I could ever get a picture of one.

• Brohoof 1

I have this dumb urge to just experience dangerous weather like I will run outside in loud thunder and lightening with joy, no joke, even if I can barely open my eyes with the wind. Everyone likes getting a kick out of some thrill I guess weather is just one of mine. Funny because I have this friend who is deathly cautious with even a little thunder and he'll ride roller coasters for days, in very consecutive, lengthy hours. I could never do that. Last time I went on one it was a scout troop state fair vacation in middle school and my reaction was more like shaking for days. Go figure. I appreciate irony though.  :twi:  

I've experienced dust tornadoes, and that's about it. It's a literal desert out here lmao. Never stayed in the flat central US areas for long, nor in the more eastern and forested hotzones. I wonder if I could ever get a picture of one.

Though i do have a fascination for dangerous weather like you. I wouldn't be the one to run outside and enjoy it XD.

I'm the type of person who for example if i looked outside and saw a tornado near by, i would want to hide in panic but also would want to keep looking out the window to watch it.

• Brohoof 1

Though i do have a fascination for dangerous weather like you. I wouldn't be the one to run outside and enjoy it XD.

I'm the type of person who for example if i looked outside and saw a tornado near by, i would want to hide in panic but also would want to keep looking out the window to watch it.

Oh yeah, no you're right not a good idea, It's pretty dumb haha. Definitely not a smart move to get reckless with a full blown tornado instead of my measly dust devils. Perhaps if I experience one it will be that experience that will make me think otherwise with dangerous weather. Things I have been deeply phobic of yet I hold I huge fascination for is moreso related to depth and height, that including deep waters. (deep, deep waters) That's another subject, I suppose. I wonder what makes a person tick to be so scared yet so ready to learn about said phobia. Deep, seemingly ingrained fear is meant to drive people away.

• Brohoof 2