Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can Bronies write characters better than MLP staff? Spike story

ManaMinori

Could bronies write Spike better? Maybe. Could they write him better in the exact same circumstances that the show writers have? Definitely not.

I find it extremely hard to believe that no one from the fandom, even with having to meet company and episode guidelines and restrictions, don't have a fraction of a chance to write Spike with meaning and development, in contrast to how the professionals deliberately write him (which there's no justifiable excuse for),

I find it extremely hard to believe that no one from the fandom, even with having to meet company and episode guidelines and restrictions, don't have a fraction of a chance to write Spike with meaning and development, in contrast to how the professionals deliberately write him (which there's no justifiable excuse for),

Well, somebody should do that then if the fandom thinks that it can do so much better. 

• Brohoof 1

Well the fandom loves to deliberately woobify characters like Luna and Trixie day after day, maybe they could woobify Spike next

While I do agree that there are some fans who do a good job a writing him, to outright say that fans can write him better is both pretty damn arrogant and insulting to the writers(who I still believe do a good job of writing him despite what others say). The writers have shown repeatedly that they do a good job of writing his character plenty of times, and people shouldn't ignore those moments just because his focus episodes are unpopular(which I don't think are anywhere near as bad as people make him out to be)

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 3

Well the fandom loves to deliberately woobify characters like Luna and Trixie day after day, maybe they could woobify Spike next

While I do agree that there are some fans who do a good job a writing him, to outright say that fans can write him better is both pretty damn arrogant and insulting to the writers(who I still believe do a good job of writing him despite what others say). The writers have shown repeatedly that they do a good job of writing his character plenty of times, and people shouldn't ignore those moments just because his focus episodes are unpopular(which I don't think are anywhere near as bad as people make him out to be)

and I suppose it's not insulting to the fans who like and want to support a character when the trained writers devalue the character and make their mere existance a miserable, stale trope, and seemingly go out of their way to write the character like that. Maybe people wouldn't need to call BS, or be offended, if the witers didn't write the character to be like that in the first place.

Unless, of course, someone else entirely is to blame...

and I suppose it's not insulting to the fans who like and want to support a character when the trained writers devalue the character and make their mere existance a miserable, stale trope, and seemingly go out of their way to write the character like that. Maybe people wouldn't need to call BS, or be offended, if the witers didn't write the character to be like that in the first place.

Unless, of course, someone else entirely is to blame...

Why should feel insulted? We get hours upon hours of Entertainment from these writers, who work day in and day out to entertain us, to bring us a show about pastel colored ponies.

I get that people don't like the way that Spike was handled recently (Princess Spike was really bad) but i think insulting the writers is not okay, because they actually provide the show in the first place. Criticizing? Surely. But not insulting them.

• Brohoof 2

When a fandom this large materializes, there will always be a few that can write characters better than the professionals handling the franchise, this is almost always true. However, there is a rather large difference between writing a better character to fit the situation, and writing a better plotline. 

While the writers guiding FiM should by no means be considered incapable of giving us a high quality narrative, it would be fallacious to suggest that they bear greater skill than the entire fandom just because they're the ones working on the project.

Edited by Worst Wizard

INB4 Lauren Faust posts a Spike fanfic. What? She’s no longer an H-Bro employee, and she’s still a MLP fan. Looks fair game to me.

Ah, we’ll probably get some good Spike someday. The problem is not the prospect of his future development but the bitter taste of his episodes that are paving the way towards this fabled moment in MLP history. Having a character buried under a pile of poop only to pull him out for that one last ride that will supposedly make up for all the blunders, is that truly worth something? This is not some grand plan for char development. This is not the lack of creative freedom. This is not a bad execution of a good story. It’s just incompetence. Well, c’est la vie.

I will never be a professional writer, and this is likely true for most Bronies, but that doesn’t mean we do not have an eye for quality. The X hours fallacy does not sound incredulously stupid only when applied to MOBA and RTS games, but also when applied to any other product of the entertainment industry.

Some of them can, but a lot of them can't. 

Besides, you're only focusing on Spike. He could definately use a lot of character development. 

Why don't you try focusing on Rarity. Even if you hate her (as long as you don't hate her for a false reason.) It's hard to deny that she is very well written. 

She's very generous, but she has a problem with greed. 

She loves clothes, but she actually makes her clothes instead spending a lot of money on clothes, something you see with most fashion loving characters. 

She is very lady like, but she isn't weak. 

Her character type is typically the villain, but she was written as one of the protagonists. 

I think she is very well written. 

If you think I'm being bias, then I will use my least favorite of the Mane Six as my second example. Twilight Sparkle. 

Twilight is a nerd, but she isn't your stereotypical nerd. She's a nerd in the realistic sense. She is also very human like with her fear of failure and wanting to understand what she is meant to do. She does something I wish more people would do. She is a princess, but she isn't the overly prissy princess who is basically a damsel in distress or a complete snob like most princesses from other franchises. She's a nerd who became a princess and didn't abandon her nerdiness. She is also well written. I admit, the alicorn part came very sudden, though. I wish it something built up. 

Spike may not be very well written, but a lot of characters are. 

It also depends on which brony you're talking about. A brony who makes realistic characters who are interesting and well made, or are you talking about a brony who makes a character over powered and edgy. 

To answer your question: Yes. Some bronies can write characters better than the MLP staff. Some bronies write characters really well. Other bronies don't have that skill, though. 

• Brohoof 1

Some of them can, but a lot of them can't. 

Besides, you're only focusing on Spike. He could definately use a lot of character development. 

Why don't you try focusing on Rarity. Even if you hate her (as long as you don't hate her for a false reason.) It's hard to deny that she is very well written. 

She's very generous, but she has a problem with greed. 

She loves clothes, but she actually makes her clothes instead spending a lot of money on clothes, something you see with most fashion loving characters. 

She is very lady like, but she isn't weak. 

Her character type is typically the villain, but she was written as one of the protagonists. 

I think she is very well written. 

If you think I'm being bias, then I will use my least favorite of the Mane Six as my second example. Twilight Sparkle. 

Twilight is a nerd, but she isn't your stereotypical nerd. She's a nerd in the realistic sense. She is also very human like with her fear of failure and wanting to understand what she is meant to do. She does something I wish more people would do. She is a princess, but she isn't the overly prissy princess who is basically a damsel in distress or a complete snob like most princesses from other franchises. She's a nerd who became a princess and didn't abandon her nerdiness. She is also well written. I admit, the alicorn part came very sudden, though. I wish it something built up. 

Spike may not be very well written, but a lot of characters are. 

It also depends on which brony you're talking about. A brony who makes realistic characters who are interesting and well made, or are you talking about a brony who makes a character over powered and edgy. 

To answer your question: Yes. Some bronies can write characters better than the MLP staff. Some bronies write characters really well. Other bronies don't have that skill, though. 

The point is it seems every character BUT Spike is well-written.

3: the ponies of the Crystal Empire incorporate a national holiday celebrating Spike into their tradition. Spike is the guest of honor, but he soon discovers the ponies want him to take up permanent residence in the Empire, and he has to weigh his options and decide his future.

Sounds like a good idea. All we need is a good writer who cares about Spike's character.

Considering how I'm Autistic, No, I don't believe I could, but letting bronies run things would make the show turn hectic. While there are good ideas out there, it just wouldn't work out.

Edited by Mezcass

The point is it seems every character BUT Spike is well-written.

Then wouldn't that mean that the staff can write well written characters? 

Spike has a lot of episodes, and he still isn't well written. So it's not that he doesn't have enough episodes. Maybe if they gave Spike a purpose, he could be well written. He can be a good character. I've seen it happen. If they want to write a Spike episode that I would like, then they should write one where Spike is pressured to hang out with male ponies because he's a male dragon. He refuses at first, but starts hanging out with male ponies. He learns that he prefers being with female ponies, and he doesn't have to choose friends based on gender. (I think almost everyone should learn that lesson, and I had to deal with it. My friends are almost all females.)

Then wouldn't that mean that the staff can write well written characters? 

Spike has a lot of episodes, and he still isn't well written. So it's not that he doesn't have enough episodes. Maybe if they gave Spike a purpose, he could be well written. He can be a good character. I've seen it happen. If they want to write a Spike episode that I would like, then they should write one where Spike is pressured to hang out with male ponies because he's a male dragon. He refuses at first, but starts hanging out with male ponies. He learns that he prefers being with female ponies, and he doesn't have to choose friends based on gender. (I think almost everyone should learn that lesson, and I had to deal with it. My friends are almost all females.)

But Spike is the only one who isn't. 

Well, sure the are some bronies who can think of fantastic storys, but they also have a lot more time, than the mlp staff.

Also, if someone of those bronies would work on the show, only one good story or two, isnt enough.

A MLP Staff member has to thing about many, many storys, including movie spinoffs.

And the fact that some storys seemed rushed, is because they often have to rush episodes.

They have to finish the episodes in time, so they dont have that much time, than some bronys, to think of storys.

Also the Stuff has a lot of limitations. It depends on what Toys hasbro wants to sell and they also have to follow some rules, to make the episodes child friendly.

Its still not a show for adults. ( even if some bronys want to think that, now and then  :okiedokielokie: )

So, you cant really say, bronies could write some episodes better.

There are differences , like age limitations and time limits, that the staff has to handle.  :ooh:

And those bronies, who write good storys, often need time and some of them write storys to serious, that wouldnt even be okay for a family friendly show.

So, better leave it to Hasbro.I guess.

I mean, if i would think of episodes i want to make...well, they would feature some fights, that wouldnt be okay for a family show  :please:

And for a Spike related Story, i dont have any idea  :lol:

Edited by PsychoShy
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe, but there are different constraints to consider when discussing an official project, and a fan work. Fans have the luxury of time, but they don't operate on the same level as the staff does when it comes to considerations needed to be made to appease Hasbro.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think any writer/producer/storyteller/whatever purposefully makes a bad story. Sure there are ideas that sounded good to them, but their presentations aren't quite up to snuff at times. For more on that, here's a link to a comment from one of my favorite writers: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=11063

Edited by Number107
  • Brohoof 1

@@Nightmare Muffin,

Yeah what pretty much what everyone else has been saying. Writing isn't just putting words to paper, it's something that anyone can do but it is a skill that requires more than imagination and recognizing story opportunities. I'm in school right now as a creative writing major, it IS a discipline that requires study. My next class is children's entertainment. This is two years into my program and I'm just now getting to children's entertainment. The show staff writers are industry professionals that have gotten their degrees and have years of experience under their belts.

Not to say there are none in the fandom that can't be great writers, it was penning my first fanfiction for this show that convinced me to go down this path after all so I could be considered an example. I have seen great works come from this fandom, Past Sins, My Little Dashie, Fallout Equestria, Anthropology, It's a Dangerous Business Going out Your Door, On a Cross and Arrow, and more are wonderful examples of the fandom's writing ability. Here's the thing though, writing a fanfiction is simply not the same as writing a proper script to be story boarded, for casting calls to be sent out, and to be animated.

Fanfiction only abides by the rules set out by the site that hosts it, and almost universally doesn't appear in script form. Descriptive exposition, inner monologue, third person omniscient, none of these things appear in a script format. That's why a novelization of a film is an adaptational change, they aren't just packaging the shooting script, they are changing it into something almost unrecognizable from what it started as.

Could some bronies be worthy of DHX? I certainly think so, but they can't just jump from "the adventures of Spike's dragon code" on Fim Fiction to top billing on the show itself.

I get that there's, naturally, criteria to meet, which a lot of the writers in the fandom- not necessarily limited to fan fiction, since there's also writers for fan made animations, too, can't meet. But what I was getting at was the fandom knowing how to use Spike better than the writers do. We WANT more development for the little guy, and when push comes to shove, any of the creatives on the fandom can write him with a greater purpose than just having him be a buttmonkey that's just there for comedic relief at the expense of characterization and growth.

You sure that "we" isn't an I? There ARE some characters that just function better as the companions. Spike has had plenty of episodes devoted to him, mostly dealing with his feelings of obligation and alienation. Even if a spinoff could work for him and just as a writer myself that seems like something that would not last very long, doesn't mean it should be done. It's like making a spinoff of Batman centered around Alfred. Flashbacks to his military days are good for a few issues, maybe a limited tradeback run, but he simply isn't a main character.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

I think I'll consider your writing choices to be potentially better than Hasbro when you don't refer to Celestia as "Sunbutt" in your synopsis.

• 1 month later...

But Spike is the only one who isn't. 

Ok Spike isn't the only character without character development. There's Zecora, we barely know anything about her. There's Cheerilee, Mr. and Mrs. Cake, Snips and Snails, some of those side-characters don't have much development either. It's not just Spike. Even though he does need more development, I also would like to see some Zecora development. I wanna learn about her past.