Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New to writing.

Proxxi

Hello, Im new to writing for the most part aside from some poetry. And Id really like to start writing some fan-fiction amongst other things. Would anyone have any tips for me? Or would be willing to read things I write and critique them?

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can only advise you dive in. If you use hasbro charectors you need to study how they speak so you can write them viably.

You need to decide if you are writing for text or an audio book at some point in the future. A story that is criticised for being too fast paced will probably narrate well on YouTube.

Ignor the 'dislikes' everywhere! You are only interested in proper feedback and comments.

Write what you like to read. So what if it gets no views. Who writes for fame? You have to write for fun or it doesn't work.

• Brohoof 1

First suggestion: check out the Writing Centre (link in my signature). There's almost 50 pages of writing goodness dating back from 2012, including guides and tips from dozens of writers.

Second suggestion: if you are serious  serious about getting good at writing (as in, "writing is a hobby I really want to get into" rather than "writing is something I want to try one or two times"), I would recommend finding an experienced author/editor/proofreader to be a mentor of sorts. If you work with them over a long period of time, they'll be able to help you improve in general while also catching on to your writing style and helping you both with challenging fundamentals (en- versus em-dashes, for instance) and your unique writing style. Once upon a time there was a Proofreader Group on FiMFiction, but that might be a pipe dream as of late. You could always post in the Writing Centre, or message a writer here on the Forums.  :wub:

Other than that, I only have the generic tips: write what you want to read, most criticism is good criticism, etc. If you'd like, PM me and we can chat a bit more about getting you started in the wonderful world of fanfiction.  :lol:

• Brohoof 2