Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How is the quality of your writing?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

I think I have definitely learned a lot of new writing skills over the last year. I learned a lot of new cool words as well, to use in more complex situations. I had a really good teacher!

My stories must be pretty decent considering the amount of Kudos my works have received on AO3. :wacko: Not even remotely close to that of the big name fans’s, of course, but nothing to sneeze at, either. 

Definitely not the best ever, but pretty good. Have a story up that I'm currently working on and the worst reception I ever got was indifference, the best being fascination :pinkie:. I always have room to improve but I think when I really want to get something across, especially an emotional scene, it comes across quite well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My writing isn't bad as far as establishing a good plot and cast of characters. My main problem is formatting, which is to say I write everything in script form rather than novel form. Nopony goes to the bookstore to buy a script, and I’d rather spend my time writing another new story than going back over an old one to re-format it. So, I’m good at stories and less good at writing them out, if that makes sense.

• Brohoof 1

Only being honest, not trying to sound like I have a big head, but I believe my writing's quality is generally decent to good. At worst, it's at least a lot better than it was when I first started and better than it was a few years ago. 2019 was when I really felt I started making significant improvements with how I changed up my style with writing stories. I used to do lots of experimental and mature stuff that some people liked, but a lot more people have liked the more conventional and family-friendly stuff I do now. 

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

Sadly this is not a talent of mine. I'm very bad in writing storis doesn't make much difference whether I write it in English or my native language. I'm just bad .. but still I can enjoy it (occasionally) 

So I've actually been told that I'm really good at writing. Creative writing was always my best class in high school. I would like to put those skills to some use at some point, but I haven't really had the chance.

It is most likely average. I've been studying about writing, so I think it has helped me improve somewhat in that area. I'm often hypercritical of myself and my writing due to my perfectionism and high standards, so I would say that my writing is poor because that's the way I feel about it, even though realistically it is likely to be considered average.

Le terrible~ y u y
though some friends have confirmed to like my writing.
I prefer drawing out my characters stories bit by bit because I can visualise what i have in mind ;; <3

I prefer reading stories others write myself

I’m not too terribly harsh on my own work although I know I still have much to learn when it comes to writing. However that doesn’t mean I would blindly take upon editor’s advice and rather go by my own interpretation and style.  They can edit my grammar and speech but not the story and how I wanted it to be executed. I have my professors tried to change my story to be more generic since mine seems quite conversational to them. 

• 1 month later...

My handwriting is not great but when it comes to generally writing anything, if it's something with a lot of thought and meaning behind what I'm trying to say, I always write down my initial thoughts and then re-read it. Then, I start the proofreading mayhem. A little added here, a little removed here, a little merging here, and a little moving around here. This can go on for almost an hour or more depending on the length of what I'm writing. Seriously, you have no idea unless you absolutely know what it's like.

Funny enough, I'm a fast reader. I do trip up though so I have to re-read stuff to comprehend everything then continue on a fast reading pace. And then, if I feel like responding, that's when the above happens! :wacko:

Oh yeah, I also used to erase so much on paper during school that you could literally see through the paper and feel the backend of the words I wrote on the other side. :awwthanks:

I'm not sure.  

I've written a couple of stories, for the most part well-received, I guess ... I also guess it's true I'm my harshest critic when it comes to my writing.  If it weren't for a forum friend practically daring me to post my stuff, I most likely never would have.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2023-06-03 at 4:21 PM, Princess Silky said:

It used to be very good. I was articulate and advanced in the English language. Now, my typing consists more of Derp speech, much to the distress of @Luna the Great of all the Russias :toldya: 

What has gone wrong?

• 2 months later...

Handwriting? Illegible, like a doctor's handwriting but worse.

Like actual writing skills? They're okay I guess. I always get fairly good feedback on stories I publish, and any negative feedback I receive is usually stuff I was aware of or knew I could do better with. Character writing and dialogue writing, for example, I absolutely adore. And I feel like I do an excellent job of writing those two things. But writing out detailed, Tolkien-like descriptions of areas or environments? That's something I struggle with. I end up with this vision of what an area might look like in my head but I either forget or fail to properly describe it how I want. Also, I do sometimes have an issue with letting stories kind of balloon in size, but that's more of a personal problem since I usually edit them down to read and flow better before posting.