Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A New Love Interest for Spike

Odd Ball

-Spike gets closure with Rarity.

-Spike gets a (girl)friend.

-Spike figures out his destiny.

-Dragon lore.

Huh, that’s quite a hefty story debt we have compiled for the writers, and rightfully so. Spike episodes have become synonymous with bad writing, and even though the “Princess Spike Guy” has returned some of our baby dragon’s characteristic cheekiness in What about Discord, I'm still very skeptical about their ability to produce a good Spike episode.

Then there’s also the whole non-pony issue. I’m almost afraid to think what they might do to dragon lore. I mean, we had enough greedy or otherwise inconvenienced characters and civilizations in desperate need of friendship. That shtick is getting old.

Me, I’d like to see Spike getting a monster friend, preferably of female variety. However, we need to establish some criteria: firstly she needs to be awesome. Secondly she needs to belong in the story and not just on the shelf in a toy store. And thirdly she must act as a monster, not as a pony. And let's not make her into a pony raised by monsters. I have nothing against this concept but you and I both know it would be used as an easy way out of making a very demanding character.

• Brohoof 1

He has been getting over it, but not completely because someone over at DHX is still keeping the Sparity pilot light lit. But that pretty much ALL it is at this point - a pilot light!  :lol:

Some S5 examples:

"Castle Sweet Castle" - Spike has a Rarity plush? Umm...  :confused:

Later she bats her eyes :please:  at him to get him to give them more time to fix the castle. He floats away on his own manifested puffy pink hearts exclaiming, "Anything for you, Rarity."

"Do Ponies Dream of Magic Sheep" - Spike rushes over to Rarity's bed first when the Mane 6 wake up from the initial encounter with the Tantibus.

"Scaremasters" - Rarity hugs Spike tight when she gets scared. Probably the only instance of Sparity that isn't so one-sided...

"What About Discord" - He tries to impress her with his knowledge of fashion designers, and messes up royally by getting the gender wrong.

Not long after that, he gets jealous at Discord when he refers to Rarity as "Dearest". (Which is ironic considering the lesson of the episode.)

As for the original question, I wouldn't be too thrilled if they created a character just for Spike to fall in love with. It's way too close to Flash Sentry territory for me. If Spike has to fall for someone else besides Rarity then it should be an established character with some development.

The problem is there aren't any established adolescent characters for him. The adults are already ruled out (otherwise we'd simply have Sparity  :proud: ) and the school fillies are too young for him (see how he interacts with the CMC in "Just For Sidekicks" for an example of why it isn't practical) because he's too sophisticated from his life with Twilight to be getting all kissy-kissy with a bunch of fillies.

The only adolescents around that I'm aware of are Snips and Snails...

And I'll never ship Spike with either of them because it wouldn't make any sense, for many reasons!  :sunny:

So yeah... A bit of a problem, at least for me, for them to find a satisfactory substitute. Which is why the whole ship was abandoned for the most part.  :)

If they introduced a character in the finale and developed her throughout S6 alongside Spike, that would be acceptable. But seriously, with only one Spike episode this season, the chances of having a bunch of Spike episodes with some new character interacting with him are pretty slim.

Well those were really subtle.  It really does seem like a small pilot light at this point.  I didn't even notice those moments. 

I'd agree with you.  I can't see Spike getting a love interest currently unless maybe they introduce a new character and develop them.  But I can't really see that happening. It'd be nice if they could just write him well enough in a new episode, if that may happen.

• Brohoof 1

I HATE Sparity so yes he needs to find somepony else its gross to have him be head over heels for a pony almost twice his age. A cute crush is okay but Rarity is just WAY too old for spike.

Edited by CookieK

• 1 month later...