Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Kids cartoons getting PG rating

SteveMorison

After watching various retrospectives from the Nostalgia Critic, it occurs to me that children's media used to treat kids with respect and not tone down its message just because the audience is perceived as being too young to get it, and recent shows, including FiM, have shown a resurgence of that, but in an era where parents and the rating board are a little more sensitive to things that I firmly believe kids can handle. However, a PG rating isn't the end of the world and I don't fault anyone for it. I can think of decisions to get a little miffed about, but this is not worth getting up in arms over IMHO.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say it's definitely people getting much too sensitive. I mean, even movies getting a G rating is incredibly rare, but I can bet if today's PG movies appeared back in the day they'd normally get a G rating

I mean cartoons back in the day had things in 'em that were either just as bad or even worst, and some didn't get any higher than Y or Y7

This is an issue not only with animated series but with animated movies. It feels like everything needs to be PG nowadays. Whatever happened to the G rating? Are parents really that concearned for their kids that they now need parental guidance to watch almost everything? Most of the things that are rated PG really don't do that much adult things. I've seen things rated G and even Y do more adult things than them.

TVTropes explains this by saying movies are actually *TRYING* to avoid the G rating, and they do stuff like put in unnecessary swearing to get bumped up to PG.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AvoidTheDreadedGRating

What ever happened to shows like Angry Beavers, CatDog, Roccos Modern Life, Hey Arnold!, heck even the Rugrats.

Good times..

Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network both sold out and turned to shit. Cartoon Network has been on the rise again since 2010 but Nickelodeon has just been left behind. I think we need to get out of the simpsons/family guy/spongebob era and let cartoons move on. Since 2010 though we've had Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, MLP:FiM, Rick and Morty, Star vs the Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears and several others so it's not all bad right now.
  • Brohoof 1

I really love the old shows where they don't take things serious and being populated by trolls and caricatures. As said, most of these cartoons went for the lulz. And we didn't have people who scream that they're offended by the littlest thing you could find. And before we think that one of those who where offended by Derpy's appearance in The Last Roundup; it was iTunes who caused the bullshit.

#SaveDerpy

Edited by Limeblossom