Dakimakuras (love/hug/body pillows)

Comic Sans

So I'm curious if anyone out there owns one, wants one or in general what your overall opinions of them are?

I am a person who has spent the last year being disgusted by the thought of spending any kind of time alone with another person in an intimate way, and as a person with an obsessive nature who is practically in love with a fictional character, getting to squeeze a big pillow with that character on it just seems like a nice way for me to have a bit of comfort somehow when I'm alone and just feeling pent up.

I also still live with my parents and brother, so if I were to own one, I would get looked down on and laughed at for owning one by them, so I am put off the idea of getting one for that very reason, otherwise I'd already have one by now.

What about you guys? Anyone own one or in the same boat as me?

Just a heads up, I am not referring to NSFW pillows, I am speaking mainly of pure innocent ones.

po1h7BQ.png

I don't own a dakimakura, and don't see myself owning one in the near future. :squee: 

If you live your life thinking about other people's opinions and views of you, you're not going to go anywhere - you can't please everyone, and you certainly wouldn't be pleasing yourself. I mean, they're family right - it's not even severe, it's just a pillow with an image on it. I say go for it. :) 

• Brohoof 1

Dovashy makes me think of soap xD.

They're not for me, that's for sure. I mean, I have nothing against anyone who wants/owns one, just that I wouldn't.

I always see at least one stand selling them at conventions, like these ones I found a few years back:

post-969-0-18530200-1451224041_thumb.jpg

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 3

MLPForums "Self-Proclaimed" Kamen Rider Nut
Now, count up your sins!
I do Traditional commissions, by the way! See them HERE!

post-8308-0-43031100-1429818502.png

Banner was done by the wonderful Kyoshi.

Oh gosh, not being mean, but that word makes me think of a certain veryyyy NSFW video.  :pout:

• Brohoof 1

8r6aiHM.png

The suggestive nature about those pillows kind of... irks me. Whereas id feel completely comfortable buying a stuffed animal or plushie to hug when I go to sleep, I wouldn't be comfortable at all with buying a body pillow.

If YOU want one though, go for it. I bought a charmander onesie despite my parents mocking the hell out of me for it. The mocking eventually ends and you'll have that thing you wanted.

• Brohoof 2

I don't own a dakimakura, and don't see myself owning one in the near future. :squee:

If you live your life thinking about other people's opinions and views of you, you're not going to go anywhere - you can't please everyone, and you certainly wouldn't be pleasing yourself. I mean, they're family right - it's not even severe, it's just a pillow with an image on it. I say go for it. :)

Thank you. n.n

I don't usually give a care for what people think of me, but my family is an entirely different thing. I guess because y'know, I live with them and see them every day, so it's just completely different.

If I had one, I don't I would tell anyone. If you do get one, I think storing it under your bed or beside it if one of the sides is close to a wall.

That could be a good idea, yet I was thinking to tuck it in under my covers, but it would be easily noticable. xD

They're not for me, that's for sure. I mean, I have nothing against anyone who wants/owns one, just that I wouldn't.

I always see at least one stand selling them at conventions, like these ones I found a few years back:

attachicon.gifIMG_1335.JPG

Yeah, I went to a convention for one day earlier this year and I did see two stalls selling them and they were mainly furry characters and ponies.

Oh gosh, not being mean, but that word makes me think of a certain veryyyy NSFW video.  :pout:

Oh dear. XD Well I'd be wanting a SFW one, even if I lived on my own. :P

The suggestive nature about those pillows kind of... irks me. Whereas id feel completely comfortable buying a stuffed animal or plushie to hug when I go to sleep, I wouldn't be comfortable at all with buying a body pillow.

If YOU want one though, go for it. I bought a charmander onesie despite my parents mocking the hell out of me for it. The mocking eventually ends and you'll have that thing you wanted.

Yeah, NSFW ones I definitely find strange personally but I still have no problems with them, I mean each to their own sort of thing. I'd personally have a SFW one. I used to hug plushies when I went to sleep, but I would find them uncomfortable with their little stubby feet or whatever just poking me in the face. I feel a pillow would be so much easier and comfier. x3

Personally I think they're kinda sad, but I still wouldn't stop someone from getting one or try to make them feel bad about it.

Glad to hear that. I can be quite sad, but I guess in my current situation it would help me out a lot, who knows. :D

• Brohoof 2

po1h7BQ.png

There has been a pretty cute and slightly suggestive Twi pillowcase for a dakimakura which I really liked. It's just that I'd prefer a plushie looking like that instead of simply a pillow. Also, I prefer "normal" plushies of animals over cartoon or anime characters. I'm very happy to be with my dolphin plushie, Lucy <3

Anyway, dakimakuras are alright and if people enjoy them that's perfectly fine but they're nothing for me, really :P

I'll be honest, I think they're really creepy, especially since they're suggestive. But hey, do what you want, it's not my place to tell you what you can and cannot do.

551933228_signature-optimized.gif.94a6558231e64cb98130cca0b94bfc5c.gif

"The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there...and still on your feet." - Stephen King

I own one. Personally there really isn't anything wrong with it. I am a cuddler and find it hard to sleep without being able to spoon. Being single means nobody to cuddle with. So I bought one and I have been able to sleep a lot better. I'd post a pick of it, but the sleeve itself was a gift and a rather suggestive one. I still love it though. <3

• Brohoof 2

msg-8308-0-19737800-1451501112.gif

Sig by Kyoshi

They're fine. I wouldn't mind owning one/several but not until I move out and live alone ofc. I don't even mind the NSFW ones but I'd only go near the SFW ones tbh.

DZf4iNK.png

matching setups with my bff pathfinder

They're just big pillows. They sell large body pillows at places like Wal-Mart and a pillowcase with your waifu on it doesn't magically transform em. They absorb and retain body heat quite nicely and are good to curl up with when ones partner isn't available. If you already own Pony merch you're already kinda weird to most people anyway. 

Don't worry about what other people think OP.

• Brohoof 2

Rarity is Best Marshmallow

I Am Full Of Words

Bronyville Podcast

Dakimakuras are pretty much pure cringe material, though, I will say that i only really apply that to the nsfw ones. Safe ones aren't much worse, if at all, than plushies of ponies or Pokemon. It's just how they're always portrayed that give them the über cringe effect. It's all cool to have virtual crushes and items of said crush, but once that's taken outside your house and into the real world (or broadcasted out to it) is where it becomes bothersome and weird.

That said, even with how odd or sad it is to want to have a proper relationship with a 2d character printed on a giant pillow, if it makes you happy then by all means go be happy. You snuggle the fuck outta that pillow and never let go.

• Brohoof 1

7Crdz3K.png

Tbh I would like to have one, but I have too much shame to get one.

• Brohoof 1

post-8308-0-55317300-1414605702.png

Signature by Kyoshi

Hymenoptera is the most superior order of insects. | I'm the best Street Fighter player ever... in my hometown.

Rosalina's #1 fanboy.

I own one. Personally there really isn't anything wrong with it. I am a cuddler and find it hard to sleep without being able to spoon. Being single means nobody to cuddle with. So I bought one and I have been able to sleep a lot better.

Being single as well means that I end up cuddling my plushies on a night

I think I'm going to have to get one as cuddling my plushies is wearing them out.

• Brohoof 1

img-36412-1-0uEACBR.jpg