Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler "Smile HD", "Cupcakes" and "Derpy Gets Pranked" are now offically down.

Mythical

(Article as posted from Equestria Daily)

maxresdefault%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Some news out of Youtube tonight as the creator of the infamous Smile HD, Cupcakes, and Derpy Gets Pranked animations has been hit with take down requests from Hasbro. Currently all of his pony content has been blocked and there isn't any word if they will return.

While there are very mixed reactions over his videos, it's always scary to see pony material hit with copyright claims. Hopefully we aren't in for another round of pony video purges.

Thanks to Jeremy for sending it in!

What are your thoughts on this? Let's discuss this here =).

Well, I really hate his videos, and in some ways I am happy to see them get taken down.  That being said I can't be happy about a fan animation being taken down via a copyright strike. Even If I personally think the content is awful, I think any fan made animation should have a right to exist.

• Brohoof 8

I never had an issue with these videos.

In fact, I thought that those animations were hilarious!

:lol:

I don't think they should have been removed.

• Brohoof 1

Hello ,

Since this topic is geared towards the MLP:FiM fandom and its content, I have moved your topic to a more appropriate section -- Sugarcube Corner.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

And nothing of value was lost.

True, I'm only really here for people's opinions. Never understood that guy.

or liked him for that matter

Edited by MythicalFL
  • Brohoof 2

I'm indifferent on the videos. I Don't enjoy them nor do I share the outrage they've spawned amongst some fans but technically he hasn't done anything wrong from a legal or terms of service stand point so I don't think his content should be taken down.

Yep. I just saw it all on EqD. That guy's videos were pretty disturbing to me, so one part of me is saying "HAHAHAHAHA! That's what you get for making the fandom look like a mess!", while the other part of me is like "Damn, he put in a lot of hard work into those. I feel sorry for him.". I have mixed feelings towards this. I don't really know if I sound be glad that such disturbing content is taken down, or sad, because an animation which took probably several months to create was destroyed by Hasbutts C & D's again. 

Edited by DJ Gumball
  • Brohoof 1

Hasbro going out with C&Ds? What a surprise~ Actually, it is kind of surprising that they took so long to take 'em down, when they took things like Button Mash's adventures down so much time ago.

Good thing I already have Smile HD and Cupcakes but I don't think I have any of his other videos. So I'll be waiting until another reuploads his content. But I suppose this means that no more of such content will be made by MisterDavie which I think is saddening (unless he's to upload to another site if he is to return to animating MLP).

Also, why is this thread labelled as spoiler?

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

Except for breaking copyright law.

In what way? I'm unsure about the Derpy one having never seen it but both Cupcakes and Smile HD, as a comedic exaggeration of a predetermined character trait (Pinkie's "Dark side") the videos could quite easily fit into the satire/parody category bringing them under the protection of fair use. If the simple act of depicting ponies regardless of intention is copyright then The .Mov series and Friendship is manliness should have takedown orders also.

Good thing I already have Smile HD and Cupcakes but I don't think I have any of his other videos. So I'll be waiting until another reuploads his content. But I suppose this means that no more of such content will be made by MisterDavie which I think is saddening (unless he's to upload to another site if he is to return to animating MLP).

Also, why is this thread labelled as spoiler?

Some people might not be intrested in it and can disable spoiler content so they don't have to use it.

He wasn't breaking copyright law as I believe that was under "parody". Maybe not. In which case all of your OC Art is illegal.

Well you can still find these videos on Youtube.

Oh no doubt. Having these videos taken down will really accomplish nothing. Friendship is Witchcraft was taken down from the main channel and still has mirrors around Youtube. Smile HD, Cupcakes and Derpy gets pranked will be no different

Oh no doubt. Having these videos taken down will really accomplish nothing. Friendship is Witchcraft was taken down from the main channel and still has mirrors around Youtube. Smile HD, Cupcakes and Derpy gets pranked will be no different

It probably makes it kinda hard for him to release new videos. He could get sued (?) or his YT channel could get taken down.

Tbh if i was him i'd be pretty pissed. ^^

Edited by SOM3D4Y

It probably makes it kinda hard for him to release new videos. He could get sued (?) or his YT channel could get taken down.

I doubt he would get sued. It may be up for debate here whether or not it's fair use or not but I highly doubt Hasbro would be willing to take the chance and lose so they'd rather abuse Youtube's broken copyright system to get what they want. However his channel being taken down (If it hasn't been already) is a very real possibility.