Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So the crystal wars timeline...

Unlikeable Pony

So; the finale. I think its pretty clear that the thing that tends to be remembered the most about it, apart from starlight, is the initial timeline where equestria is at war with the crystal empire and sombra.

Would you enjoy them finangling things to say that timeline still exists in an alternate timeline? and would you enjoy seeing it revisited? Maybe just in comics form, not in show, but still touched on in some manner?

And if so, what angle would you want them to take with it? Still focused on the characters lives just with a more grim outlook? full on adventure? Darker? not darker? comedic? Ect.
Anything specifically you'd enjoy seeing?

large.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Well I could get into this whole thing about the Many Worlds Theory and the Novikov Self Consistency Principle, which from IAT we've already seen time travel in MLP adheres to, but I won't.

To answer your question, yes, ALL those universes exist. Starlight is an inter dimensional war criminal, and it'd be awesome to see some of them again.

The only way those universes don't exist is if somehow magic is a MORE fundamental force than physics, Gravity, or temporal causality. Like if you could use magic to edit time like a Word document, and nothing is applied until you "hit save" that could explain rewriting history within a single dimension. The actors who are making the changes would be considered independent entities while making the changes, and therefore wouldn't be paradoxes themselves if the changes affect or negate their existence.

Well I could get into this whole thing about the Many Worlds Theory and the Novikov Self Consistency Principle, which from IAT we've already seen time travel in MLP adheres to, but I won't.

To answer your question, yes, ALL those universes exist. Starlight is an inter dimensional war criminal, and it'd be awesome to see some of them again.

The only way those universes don't exist is if somehow magic is a MORE fundamental force than physics, Gravity, or temporal causality. Like if you could use magic to edit time like a Word document, and nothing is applied until you "hit save" that could explain rewriting history within a single dimension. The actors who are making the changes would be considered independent entities while making the changes, and therefore wouldn't be paradoxes themselves if the changes affect or negate their existence.

well, the table existed in all the timelines despite their not being any reason for it to exist in those timelines;

So presumably it somehow exists outside of time in a manner.

well, the table existed in all the timelines despite their not being any reason for it to exist in those timelines;

So presumably it somehow exists outside of time in a manner.

Ya, time would be the document, the table the program itself.

I can't believe My Little Pony not only has an alternate dystopian future like this, but Josh Haber actually went as far as to reference what life was apparently like in NA in WWII, complete with a sense that every day could be the last for those who are manufacturing supplies to aid the war effort. My Little Pony everyone.:P I think the comics are more likely to revisit the alternate timelines though.

• Brohoof 3

Admittedly, that alternate timeline was somewhat interesting, but all that interest immediately fizzles if I think about the episode this is shown in. It's stupid that no pony except the Mane 6 matters to Equestria, so everything Celestia and Luna did to gain their positions in royalty and everything they've done for Equestria (especially in the case of Celestia since she had to rule 1000 years without her sister) don't mean squat, and by extension, any important figure who helped contribute to the growth and success of Equestria (such as Star Swirl) were also pointless. In other words, I'm tired of seeing the authority figures being used as punching bags.

If the season 5 finale showed positive timelines in addition to the gloomy ones (hell, it'd be a gutsy move to show an Equestria that is better off without the Mane 6) and explored those timelines, then I'd be up for further explorations. I think the episodes would actually be more layered if they took that direction.

• Brohoof 3

Well, I wouldn't expect the show to cover this and I would be weary of the comics giving attention to this considering how rushed their adventure arcs can be. That said I would like to see this expanded upon; being a fan of Sombra that would be just dandy for me. :D

Well, I wouldn't expect the show to cover this and I would be weary of the comics giving attention to this considering how rushed their adventure arcs can be. That said I would like to see this expanded upon; being a fan of Sombra that would be just dandy for me. :D

Yeah, Honestly the plotlines feel like they could do with being a six issue long arc instead of just 4 half the time.

They tend to go fine till the end and then REALLY start rushing things.

that being said, if they were to do it in the guardians of harmony comicline, they might do those comics differently than they've been doing comics in the past.

I wish they had showed yaks fighting alongside Sombra, as a result of Equestria never befriending them in Season 5 Episode 11. Yakyakistan is relatively close to the Crystal Empire, and this inclusion would have added both depth to the timeline and consequence to Party Pooped. It would also explain the plot hole of how the Crystal Empire is still going strong after ~3 years of war with a much larger state.

The finale focused primarily on the repercussions of 2-part episodes. Regular episodes were ignored (apart from Flim and Flam's obviously), even though there are plenty with high stakes. It didn't even need to be its own timeline: like I said, add them into the war sequence. This would have added more to the scene without extending it by a single second or dragging out the production process.

Edited by ErisPegasus

That was definitely my favorite alternate timeline from the finale.

If it was to be more fleshed out as a spin off comic series or something, I would like it be an action and adventured oriented story.

It would probably be as "dark" as the Chrysalis issues of the main comics.

That was definitely my favorite alternate timeline from the finale.

If it was to be more fleshed out as a spin off comic series or something, I would like it be an action and adventured oriented story.

It would probably be as "dark" as the Chrysalis issues of the main comics.

Kind of would be nice to see what happened to the other villains in that timeline, like chrysalis.

According to the comics she basically just would say "Eh, screw it, lets find another place to live" if the umbrum escaped, so presumably she might have done that in the crystal wars timeline as well; but it'd be interesting if there was more players at work than just sombra and celesta.

(edited)

I brainstormed another concept distinct from the one I elaborated above. 

If only the episode had a bit more time, maybe, as part of Twilight's grand speech about friendship, she explains that as long as friendship exists, there's hope (or something along those lines).

The visuals as she speaks pan between the first 3 timelines, showing scenes where this is the case:

#1: Pinkie is shown helping an injured Rainbow Dash on the Arctic North battlefields. They both look on in dismay, as their fellow soldiers are gradually incapacitated by Crystal Ponies. Celestia herself is lying down, injured, as Sombra approaches.

Then, a loud horn sounds, and a band of yaks appear on the horizon. They come stampeding down, trampling Crystal ponies but avoiding Equestrians, and Sombra's alarm gives Celestia a chance to blast him away and/or retreat.

Maybe, if you want to use movie tropes, Rutherford trundles up next to Celestia and gives her a smirk.

#2: Zecora and her clan of fighters are being marched through the ruins of Canterlot. It is covered in green goo, and hordes of Changelings jeer as their queen brings in the latest catch to be fed to the hive.

Suddenly, loud screeches sound from the air, and the entirety of the Griffon Kingdom rains down upon the black shapeshifters. Maybe Zecora's whole clan escapes, or some of them do, or the timeline ends with them starting to fight back, leaving their fate ambiguous (like #1).

(Noticing a recurring theme here? Friendship.)

#3: A lone pony is dashing across a bridge, with Nightmare Moon's castle on the horizon. It doesn't matter who this pony is; they could be original, an alternate Mane Six member, or a supporting cast member etc.

They look on to the Everfree Forest, but view the glowing eyes of Timberwolves. Thinking quickly, they double back to a staircase embedded into the side of the cliff. NM's guards burst out from the bridge, mutter to each other about scouting the area, and spread out into all directions.

Meanwhile, the fugitive reaches the bottom of the crevice. It's so ridiculous - hiding right under Nightmare Moon's nose - that it just might work. They continue exploring this pitch-black area - maybe using a horn light if they are a unicorn - before discovering a cave entrance.

They trot into it, and lo and behold!...the Tree of Harmony greets their eyes. The sequence ends with them staring on, awe-inspired by a light comparable to the sun of Equestria's halcyon days, as Rainbow Dash's yells and the shadows of guards draw closer.

Of course, this would all need an extra 30-45 seconds. Maybe the sections would be pared down considerably from what I've written here, but would contribute to the episode's message as well as the first 3 timelines, which were cut too short in my opinion.

Edited by ErisPegasus

• 1 month later...

It would be cool to see how the war went along. I'm a bit more interested in the Chrysalis one though. Much less war-like and more zombie apocalypse.