Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

rp rules Welcome to Tabletop RP

Fhaolan

And here we have our newest addition the Roleplay World!

This section is specifically for Tabletop-style roleplays that involve more systematic and mechanics-heavy rulesets like PonyFinder, Dungeons and Dragons, and FATE among others. Due to this, the rules for this section are slightly modified from the regular RP rules:

1) High amounts of OOC in the RP posts are expected here, in order to deal with die rolls, out-of-character questions to the Game Master about immediate events, game rule instructions by the Game Master, etc. However, OOC still needs to be on-topic.

2) The Game Master will not necessarily have their own character in the RP, and so pure setup and description posts are *not* counted as OOC. They may not be about a specific character, but they are In-Character as 'Environmental' posts.

3) The minimum character count is much lower here due to the nature of Tabletop RPs, as quick responses to resolve actions will be necessary on occasion. Note that this is not an invitation to host non-Tabletop RPs here to take advantage of the lower character minimum. This forum is for Tabletop-style RPs only.

4) At the beginning of each RP, it is necessary to state which ruleset is being used. Be as specific as necessary to make sure every player is using the same rules. Otherwise people using GURPS 3e Revised will be very confused by those using GURPS 4e, for example.

All other RP rules still apply here. Finally, as this section is new to Roleplay World, these special rules may be updated and revised as time goes on and we find out more about what things work and what doesn't.

Good luck and good gaming!

• Brohoof 4

• 3 weeks later...

So, do we just put the OOC in the normal Everfree Empire section as long as we make sure people can tell it is a tabletop rp?

But the rp goes in this section still, right?

So, do we just put the OOC in the normal Everfree Empire section as long as we make sure people can tell it is a tabletop rp?

Yep. Just like the 'Advanced' RPs. The only real difference being that the 'OOC' thread for Tabletop will likely be more a 'Recruiting' thread, as I anticipate most of the actual OOC happening *inside* the RP due to the nature of Tabletop-style games.

Hmm, I posted an RP a while back that could possibly fit in this section. I may have to tweak it a little first...

No problem. Just let us know when it's ready to be moved.

Yep. Just like the 'Advanced' RPs. The only real difference being that the 'OOC' thread for Tabletop will likely be more a 'Recruiting' thread, as I anticipate most of the actual OOC happening *inside* the RP due to the nature of Tabletop-style games.

Nice.

Well, time to go and read up on Ponyfinder.

Would a warring kingdoms RP with Chess-style mechanics count as a table top RP?

At the moment as long as it has defined mechanics, we're counting it as valid as Tabletop. That might change as we learn more about how his section is actually used, of course.

I'm not entirely sure how chess-style mechanics would work in a forum-based RP, to be honest. I'm very curious about that. :)

I'm not entirely sure how chess-style mechanics would work in a forum-based RP, to be honest. I'm very curious about that.

It would be a 1X1,

the mechanics being the two users having to give a sort of significance to every move they make, which they provide with standard chess notation. For example the beginning of the game , where a pawn moves twice, could be interpreted as an eager youth breaching away from the kingdom in search of adventure, he would then probably die a few posts later as a youth from another kingdom believes she can prove her strength by killing the boy.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

And here we have our newest addition the Roleplay World!

This section is specifically for Tabletop-style roleplays that involve more systematic and mechanics-heavy rulesets like PonyFinder, Dungeons and Dragons, and FATE among others. Due to this, the rules for this section are slightly modified from the regular RP rules:

1) High amounts of OOC in the RP posts are expected here, in order to deal with die rolls, out-of-character questions to the Game Master about immediate events, game rule instructions by the Game Master, etc. However, OOC still needs to be on-topic.

2) The Game Master will not necessarily have their own character in the RP, and so pure setup and description posts are *not* counted as OOC. They may not be about a specific character, but they are In-Character as 'Environmental' posts.

3) The minimum character count is much lower here due to the nature of Tabletop RPs, as quick responses to resolve actions will be necessary on occasion. Note that this is not an invitation to host non-Tabletop RPs here to take advantage of the lower character minimum. This forum is for Tabletop-style RPs only.

4) At the beginning of each RP, it is necessary to state which ruleset is being used. Be as specific as necessary to make sure every player is using the same rules. Otherwise people using GURPS 3e Revised will be very confused by those using GURPS 4e, for example.

All other RP rules still apply here. Finally, as this section is new to Roleplay World, these special rules may be updated and revised as time goes on and we find out more about what things work and what doesn't.

Good luck and good gaming!

So is this the OOC section? Or the RP section? Or are you saying that you merged the two for the sake of this style of gameplay? 

So is this the OOC section? Or the RP section? Or are you saying that you merged the two for the sake of this style of gameplay? 

This is the RP section. For purposes of this style of gameplay large amounts of OOC inside RP posts are expected. To the point that many nominally 'RP' posts will in fact be entirely OOC, because there will be lots of 'what does my character see?' and 'I roll a 15 on my listen check' types of things.

However, the OOC parts still need to be relevant to the RP. They need to be on-topic still.

We recommend that you still create an announcement/recruiting thread in the normal OOC section just to get people's attention.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2016 at 3:38 PM, SigmaBrony said:

Why is this section so empty? Am I imagining it or can I only see things I am a member of?

At the moment, nobody seems to have taken advantage of this section. So no, you're not missing anything yet. :(

:(

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

At the moment, nobody seems to have taken advantage of this section. So no, you're not missing anything yet. :(

This kind of RP usually works better on sites like Roll20. I'm currently getting into this kind of roleplaying though so if anyone wants to set up a Ponyfinder game I'd be game!. 

Cheesedoodle basically made his own ruleset for mlp for d&d. Dunno if you guys are aware of that.

Also, I has an question. Does the rp we're looking/trying to start have to be mlp related or can it just be anything?

We've got RPs going on in the regular section that aren't MLP, so that's fine. :)

• 4 months later...

The roleplay goes under this section, separate from the rest of the roleplays.

I mean, that is the safe option. You might not get bothered in the main section, but I wouldn't risk it.

Why is this section so empty? Am I imagining it or can I only see things I am a member of?

Nah, it just usually takes a lot of work, so most people don't bother.

I just take that as a challenge!

I made up my own system from basically scratch. It had some elements of D&D for a while, but those are pretty much removed by now.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...