Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The importance of knowing what you want to say in a story.

Buck Testa

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/320843/where-spike-came-from

I think this is the first fic where I've had a real message I wanted to say with it. Many of the things I've written in the past have tended to fizzle out because I didn't really know where they were going. The premise was there, the characterization was there, but the destination and focus of the story just wasn't. 

I've had this fic in the works for a long time. Almost as long as I've been a brony actually. Much of the planning for it had been done under the guise of forum topics, gathering information and different perspectives on each piece of the framework that made up this story's structure. 

If you've followed or seen any of my posts, you know when it comes to fandoms I'm a head canon fanatic. I like to draw lines and connections that most people wouldn't ever think of nor would they want to. I like flipping peoples expectations of something on their head and throwing them those curve balls and plot twists. I like challenging the things that people expect to be just accepted as what they are. 

I also wanted to make a story where Spike is used to what I believe his full potential could be. He has so many interesting factors to his character that just seem to be supplanted by the show. I knew whatever the story I would tell, he would be the main focus of it. 

I guess what I'm saying is I really learned the importance of having a theme in a story writing this. You hear its important, and you know its important logically, but when you actually employ it for yourself it makes a world of difference on the writing process. 

• Brohoof 1

Having a theme is one of the most vital elements to it. Though honestly, it is hard to do sometimes. You just want to write and your story gets away from you.

Congrats on figuring it out. That is not an easy thing to do.

Edited by Fox_Fire
  • Brohoof 1